Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Best Non-Chase Card to partner with Sapphire Preferred?

Old Jun 17, 2018, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Looking to get a sense of what card is best to compliment CSP (non chase). I will be pairing CFU already with this so was looking for some insight.
I typically value reward flexibility as apposed to airline loyalty but if I am missing something, please let me know.
I was thinking AMEX Gold Reward or Citi Thank You Premier or event tacking on an airline card.

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts and appreciate the help!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:15 am

My vote is Citi Premier or Amex BBP @2x on everything.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:04 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
There's a long discussion thread on this topic in the SPG forum because for many the answer used to be the SPG Amex, but with that card being devalued this summer there are a lot of people thinking about what the next best option should be.

But the answer really depends on your personal spending habits and redemption goals. It only really makes sense to branch out into Amex Membership Rewards or Citi Thank You Points if you have a lot of spend -- like if you have a lot of reimbursed business expenses or otherwise get creative () with your credit card spending. If you are just putting personal expenses on the card, for most people you'd just end up spreading yourself too thin across multiple programs and won't have enough points earned in any one program to do anything valuable with them.

Not to mention that there is a lot of overlap in bonus categories between the CSR and the other cards you mention so you're not opening up many new channels for earning bonuses.

An airline card could be valuable if you have use for the specific benefits of such a card -- for example Delta's credit cards offer certain accelerators toward earning elite status that could be valuable if you are within striking distance of Delta elite status. Or it can be valuable to hold an airline card, even if you don't spend much on it, for benefits like a free checked bag if you don't have elite status. But if you're not getting anything specific out of it, then there's not much reason to use an airline card. In general you'd get a higher return on general spend using the CFU than any of the major airline cards.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:51 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
....just end up spreading yourself too thin across multiple programs and won't have enough points earned in any one program to do anything valuable with them.....
Broadly true, but bear in mind that American Express, Chase and Citi do have some airline transfer partners in common which means two or three card programs could feed the same airline program IF that airline program is one you need.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
For a regular spending strategy?

CSP will get you 2x on dining and restaurants, CFU gets you 1.5x everywhere else. I'm not sure what you're looking for in a 3rd card.... You could get Citi Premier as suggested, and then you'll earn 3x TY points on travel and gas, but there are few ways you can utilize Chase UR and Citi TY together (Singapore and Virgin Atlantic I believe are the only two shared partners). An airline card could be worthwhile for free domestic checked bag, priority boarding, etc., if you fly enough to justify the annual fee (usually ~$100).
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:22 pm

My vote goes to Costco Citi Visa, now that it has no FTF.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all! Really appreciate everyone's input.
I thought Marriot (Chase) but on further consideration opted not to pursue. I am currently platnium with them though billing is set up directly through my employer so I only get points/nights and not credit card points. Pass.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by Helpmeout
Thanks to all! Really appreciate everyone's input.
I thought Marriot (Chase) but on further consideration opted not to pursue. I am currently platnium with them though billing is set up directly through my employer so I only get points/nights and not credit card points. Pass.
Open a new MR acct, (maybe use a middle initial or drop an initial), get the card, meet the spend, get the 100K pts and then merge the accts. @:-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.