Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase UR Travel portal - "Only X seats left at this price" strategy?

Old May 8, 18, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

I need to book 4 tix - 2 adults and 2 kids. I can break it up with 1 adult/kid or 1 adult/2kids and 1 adult. Chase portal has "3 seats left!" for a Hawaiian flight, though it isn't non stop and leaves early in the morning. It has "1 seat left!" for a better American non-stop flight, arriving slightly later than the first.

Is there any way to verify these or a strategy to book? Ideally, we'd like to all be on the same flight (nonstop), but my second choice is splitting us 2 and 2. I suppose I can book my husband on the nonstop and see if another comes available at that price? How long should I wait before just giving up and booking the other 3 on Hawaiian (leaving me to deal with both kids through 2 flights and a layover!)?
Old May 8, 18, 11:30 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jperiod View Post
I need to book 4 tix - 2 adults and 2 kids. I can break it up with 1 adult/kid or 1 adult/2kids and 1 adult. Chase portal has "3 seats left!" for a Hawaiian flight, though it isn't non stop and leaves early in the morning. It has "1 seat left!" for a better American non-stop flight, arriving slightly later than the first.

Is there any way to verify these or a strategy to book? Ideally, we'd like to all be on the same flight (nonstop), but my second choice is splitting us 2 and 2. I suppose I can book my husband on the nonstop and see if another comes available at that price? How long should I wait before just giving up and booking the other 3 on Hawaiian (leaving me to deal with both kids through 2 flights and a layover!)?
How much are the seats? Are you willing to split up, fly connections etc to save only a small amount?
Old May 9, 18, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Well suddenly there are 3 available on the AA nonstop! I got expert flyer and there seem to be many seats available (though I'm not too sure what I'm looking at!), so it makes me wonder if any of them will become coach saver awards. I'm such a point miser and the thought of paying 28K UR points vs 12500 points (transferred to BA) per seat makes me cringe. But I'm 6 weeks out now and it's been slim pickings all year. Ugh.
Old May 9, 18, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by jperiod View Post
Well suddenly there are 3 available on the AA nonstop! I got expert flyer and there seem to be many seats available (though I'm not too sure what I'm looking at!), so it makes me wonder if any of them will become coach saver awards. I'm such a point miser and the thought of paying 28K UR points vs 12500 points (transferred to BA) per seat makes me cringe. But I'm 6 weeks out now and it's been slim pickings all year. Ugh.
IME, if there are "3 seats left at this price" and you book 4, you'll be charged the original price for the first 3 seats and a higher price for the 4th. The difference might be nominal.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: