Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Marriott Premier PLUS - post your upgrade offers

Old May 3, 2018, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eknock007
Link for upgrade offers: https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall

Offers reported as of 5/3:
Points are to be received after one purchase. Offer is good to yearend

Offers as of 10/9:
Chase is starting to increase offer to 50k, up from 20k and 10k. Check your in-boxes.
Print Wikipost

Chase Marriott Premier PLUS - post your upgrade offers

Old May 3, 2018, 3:20 pm

Curious how long the upgrade takes to take effect.
Old May 3, 2018, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by mav
I called Chase Bank twice today and was told the only way to get the 100,000 points is to cancel the existing card and in 60 days apply for the new card. That is exactly what I did. I am greedy and wanted the whole 100,000. The clock is ticking for my 60 days
Just make sure you didn't receive a bonus on your old Marriott premier within the last 24 months from when you apply. The terms exclude the 100k bonus in that case.
philemer and sdsearch like this.
Old May 3, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by RMZ2006
I called today and was told my 10k-point offer to upgrade is good through the end of 2018. I'm putting the finishing touches on the 120k offer for $12k spend in the first year, so my plan is to upgrade when that's complete.
Thanks for posting that. I have an anniversary date for the Business Visa later this year. I know that they seem to be changing that, too. The website says new benefits are coming in August for the Business Visa. My anniversary is after August. I wonder if upgrading this card will affect the 15 nights on the anniversary of the Business Visa.
Old May 3, 2018, 11:44 pm
Community Director Emerita

My husband and I have individual cards. We each received the 20K offer.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist
20K after a purchase
Old May 4, 2018, 12:30 pm

Surprised to see the 20k offer since I only got the Premier card 12 months ago and don't use it much.

If I'm understanding the T&C correctly, the following plan is possible right?:

1. Take upgrade for 20k points
2. Wait a year (24 months since Premier bonus)
3. Now I'm free to cancel/reapply for the Premier Plus sign up bonus if I choose to
Old May 4, 2018, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by GiantCow
Surprised to see the 20k offer since I only got the Premier card 12 months ago and don't use it much.

If I'm understanding the T&C correctly, the following plan is possible right?:

1. Take upgrade for 20k points
2. Wait a year (24 months since Premier bonus)
3. Now I'm free to cancel/reapply for the Premier Plus sign up bonus if I choose to
That's how I would read it, unless they were to decide that the 20,000 point upgrade offer is a "new cardmember bonus." That would be a poor reading, IMHO, but theoretically possible. Also, the offer terms could change between now and next year.
Old May 4, 2018, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
I received the 10,000 points after first purchase. Is there any chance that will change in the future or is it most likely a take it or leave it offer.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Premier Plus is a Different Product

A post in another thread got me to look at the terms and conditions of the upgrade. This is what I found.

3. One benefit of your new Marriott Rewards Premier Plus account is an Anniversary Free Night Award e-certificate every year after your account anniversary, valid for a one night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level at or under 35,000 points, instead of the category 1-4 hotel e-certificate valued up to 20,000 points you received on your Marriott Rewards account. Please note that completing this product change may result in a change to the month you receive your annual Marriott Free Night Award e-certificate. Anniversary year means the year beginning with your account open date through the first statement date after your account open date anniversary, and the 12 monthly billing cycles after that each year. For the list of participating hotels where you can redeem the 35,000 points, log on to MarriottRewards.com/Use or call 1-800-321-7396. Please see your rewards brochure, which arrives within 7-10 days of your new card, for more details.
While we all know the answers from phone agents can be unreliable, I decided to give them a call. He did put me on hold to talk to a supervisor, for what that is worth.

In my case, my annual fee will be billed in January, but if I upgrade now, I won't get the free night until May. This is specifically because a product change generates a new anniversary date at the time of the product change. So right now, my anniversary is when my annual fee is billed. But if I took the upgrade offer today, that anniversary date would change to today's date.

The fact that the terms and conditions above are worded they way they are backs up what the rep told me. I will probably wait until late in the year now before I decide whether to upgrade the card. I was planning on canceling when the annual fee was due. However, I also need more points for LTPP. So I will reevaluate the decision in November to judge how badly I need the 10K.
Old May 4, 2018, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
My anniversary date is now and I just upgraded and will be charged the AF June 1st. So it worked out well for me.
Old May 5, 2018, 7:26 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
I got the 10,000 point offer and do not see any reason to switch now since my anniversary date is later this year. I would say the trip interruption protection and 1 night per 3k spend is worth 10k points.

The way I read it. The new card will give you 15 elite credits starting in 2019, so I would not got any elite credits this fall on my anniversary (like I should with the current card) but instead get them next spring. If I am reading that correctly, definitely a reason not to switch yet.
Old May 5, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeanie
I have an anniversary date for the Business Visa later this year. I know that they seem to be changing that, too. The website says new benefits are coming in August for the Business Visa.
Which website says that?

I looked at an application website for the Business Marriott card, and I didn't see anything like that. I logged into my Business Marriott account, and I don't see anything about benefits there at all (it's the old interface).
Old May 5, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Which website says that?
It's if you click on credit cards on the site detailing the program merger. Link goes here:
Marriott Rewards Credit Cards
Old May 5, 2018, 3:31 pm

Any down side to upgrading? I don't see any.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by frankhi
Any down side to upgrading? I don't see any.

Reduced trip cancellation/interruption insurance (if you put that on this card)
Increased AF (by $10)
Loss of extra elite night credit every $3k spend

Also, it's unclear what happens to your 15 night elite credit if you upgrade before your anniversary this year.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.