Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Marriott Premier PLUS 75,000 Point Bonus after $5000

Old May 3, 2018, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jeanie
What's the best current offers?
  • 100,000 Marriott Rewards Points: After $5K spend in 3 months, with $95 annual fee (not waived the first year) Offer ends July 5, 2018
  • Anniversary Free Night Award: Valid for a one night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level up to 35,000 Marriott points.
  • Automatic Silver Elite Status: With your Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card, you are given automatic Silver Elite Status.
OR:
  • $200 Statement Credit: After first purchase in your first three months from account opening.
  • 2 FREE NIGHT AWARDS (each valued up to 35,000 points): After you spend $3,000 on purchases in your first three months from account opening.
  • Annual Fee Waived first year; then $95 per year.
  • Anniversary Free Night Award: Valid for a one night hotel stay at a property with a redemption level up to 35,000 Marriott points.
  • Automatic Silver Elite Status: With your Marriott Rewards Premier Plus Credit Card, you are given automatic Silver Elite Status.

Offer not available to those who already have the Chase Marriott Rewards credit card, but an upgrade offer may be available to you.
Print Wikipost

Chase Marriott Premier PLUS 75,000 Point Bonus after $5000

Old May 14, 2018, 11:09 am

Wife is 5/24, and even with one being an AU on another card and one being a retail card, she was denied by Chase for the new Marriott card.
Old May 14, 2018, 2:49 pm

Wanted to run this by the FT crew before proceeding. Few facts below:

3/20/15 - Applied for the Chase Marriott Premier
6/29/15 - 70,000 Marriott points post to my account
5/13/16 - Cancelled card

I cancelled the card exactly 2 years and 1 day ago. No issue on 5/24, worried about the 2 year product rule. Should I wait a week or two before applying to hedge against transaction vs. effective date, system lag, business days, phase of the moon, sorcery. etc.?

I've been MS on the Ink for the past couple years, so have largely ignored new offers (outside of the CSR). But figured between the Marriott premier personal and business offering, plus whatever AMEX comes out with August, that's ~500K+ Marriott points (wife and I) for relatively little effort/spend. Would be pissed if I applied for this card and didn't get the bonus.

And I'm aware of this data point, but I don't want to be a guinea pig for the 2 year rule, and I'm still going to ask the question.

How does Chase calculate the relevant 24-month period? By calendar months? By exact days?
In February 2017, a FTer reported a successful application a day or two after dropping from 5/24 to 4/24. However, because Chase sometimes approves applicants who are at 5/24 exactly (see above), this data point does not conclusively prove that Chase drops cards from its calculation on the exact 24-month anniversary of the previous bonus.

Last edited by MannyCPA; May 14, 2018 at 2:55 pm
Old May 14, 2018, 10:44 pm

Has anyone actually received the card? I applied on 5/3, saw the account show up on my Chase.com page, but still have not received the physical card.

Asking because I'm headed for business travel with stay at Marriott very soon.
Old May 15, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
I got approved last Friday and no card yet
Old May 15, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MannyCPA
Wanted to run this by the FT crew before proceeding. Few facts below:

3/20/15 - Applied for the Chase Marriott Premier
6/29/15 - 70,000 Marriott points post to my account
5/13/16 - Cancelled card

I cancelled the card exactly 2 years and 1 day ago. No issue on 5/24, worried about the 2 year product rule.
You seem to be confused about the 2 year product rule. It's not from when you cancel, it from you received the last bonus on that type of card, plus the card has to be canceled (but at no particular time). So you are good to go at any time, because 2 years since the bonus posted was 6/29/15, and your card is clearly cancelled.

While it's prudent to wait a little while after cancelling (just to make sure the cancellation registers in all of their systems), you certain don't have to wait two years. I had a Chase Marriott Premier open for half a dozen years, cancelled it around February after my 15 nights for the year posted, and applied for another Chase Marriott Premier in late April. I was more interested in getting yet another 15 elite night credits to post, which they did, and in getting one 1 elite night credit for every $3000 spend, than in anything that the new card offers, and that's why I applied for the old card in April.

But the same timing could have applied to the new card had I preferred to get that one instead (a couple weeks later).
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old May 15, 2018, 12:52 pm

Wow - I'm confused indeed. That's for clarifying. Applying for two Marriott Premier Plus cards, post haste (wife and I).

And now I need to start tracking when bonus posts. *le sigh*
Old May 16, 2018, 2:05 pm

I have my Marriott visa card for over ten years and the new Marriott premium plus visa looks very appealing.

My question is my visa card has the word signature on it, does it consider the same product as the new premium plus card?

Is this signature visa only allowed to upgrade because it is considered the same product as the premium? or it is a different product that I can apply and earn the 100,000 bonus points?
Old May 16, 2018, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lililolo
I have my Marriott visa card for over ten years and the new Marriott premium plus visa looks very appealing.

My question is my visa card has the word signature on it, does it consider the same product as the new premium plus card?

Is this signature visa only allowed to upgrade because it is considered the same product as the premium? or it is a different product that I can apply and earn the 100,000 bonus points?
It's the same card for application purposes, but since you've had the current one for ten years, if you cancel your current and wait a little while (I'd suggest at least a week or two), then (assuming you're under 5/24*) you should be able to apply and earn the 100,000 bonus points (if you do the $5k of purchases in the required 3 months).

The "same card" application rules are: (1) It has be at least 24 months since you earned the signup bonus on your previous card of the "same" type (which would certainly be the case if you've had it over ten years) and the previous card has to be closed.

* But make sure you're under 5/24,(ie, that your credit report shows no more than 4 bank cards --- open or closed -- with "opened on" dates in the past 24 months). Because if you're 5/24 or over, you'll be denied for the new card if you apply outright, and upgrading (or waiting until you fall under 5/24) is your only option.

Last edited by sdsearch; May 16, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Old May 16, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aquafish
Has anyone actually received the card? I applied on 5/3, saw the account show up on my Chase.com page, but still have not received the physical card.

Asking because I'm headed for business travel with stay at Marriott very soon.
My wife applied and was approved on Sunday 5/6, the cards arrived today in the mail.
Old May 17, 2018, 2:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
Denied new application for Premier Plus despite meeting all requirements

The statement on Marriott website said clearly: 2 years. I have the old Marriott Premier for 2.5 years, so I cancelled it. Then the next day I filled an online application, was told the decision will be in mail (which is never a good sign. I have perfect credit rating and 100% of the time I get instant online approval). Sure enough it was a letter claiming I didn't meet the qualifications for this card and I'm denied eligibility.

My question - I've met all the fine prints posted on the web. Why has Marriott or the card issuer still deny me? The letter itself didn't say specifically which qualifications I didn't meet, simply I was a Premier CC holder and thus I'm not qualify to this new 100,000 miles offer. Horrific...
Old May 17, 2018, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666
I have perfect credit rating
What's that, 850?

How many cards have you opened in the past two years?
Old May 17, 2018, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
What happened when you followed the "fine prints posted on the web." - i.e. the printed terms of the offer?
If you are an existing Marriott Rewards Premier customer and would like this product, please call the number on the back of your card to see if you are eligible for a product change. You will not receive the new cardmember bonus if you change products.
When you called, did they tell you to cancel your current card and apply for a new one, despite the guidance that seems to say you won't get a bonus if you do exactly what you did.

Why has Marriott or the card issuer still deny me?
Why do you believe somoene on Flyertalk can answer this question?

Here's a crazy idea - maybe ask the issuer who actually denied the application.

Why Was I Denied Credit?

While there are regulations that protect you when seeking credit, there is no law that guarantees credit approval. Some reasons why your application may be denied include:

You do not meet the creditor's minimum income requirement;
You have not been living at your address or working at your job for the required amount of time;
You are too near your credit limits; and
The information contained on the credit report is incorrect.

What Can I Do If I Have Been Denied Credit?

The Equal Credit Opportunity Act ensures that all consumers have an equal chance to obtain credit and requires that a creditor explain its reasoning when declining your credit application. Specifically, the Act requires that the creditor:

Provide a notice that tells you exactly why the application was rejected; and
Give you the opportunity to request an explanation if you ask within 60 days.
Horrific...
GMAFB
kpfleming and coffee18 like this.

Last edited by CPRich; May 17, 2018 at 7:50 am
Old May 17, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
The next day? Obviously, the account cancellation hadn't yet propagated across all the IT systems. Maybe wait a month and try again...
mhdena likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CPRich
Why do you believe somoene on Flyertalk can answer this question?

Here's a crazy idea - maybe ask the issuer who actually denied the application.

GMAFB
Seems a bit harsh. There is actually a forum on Flyertalk that can help and a specific thread related to this subject.
Old May 17, 2018, 7:52 am

I agree with Swag. Wait until the card reports closed on your credit reports.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.