Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Club Premier MC- 125K Points, Free Night, $3K spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This is the NEW Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier card. It replaced the old IHG Rewards Club Select card in 2018. Existing card members were not automatically product changed to the new card. Among the many changes, the AF jumped from $49 to $89 per year.

Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

Current Offer:

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...mier?CELL=6TKW

125,000 bonus points

after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.

Plus, earn 10,000 bonus points after you spend $20,000 on purchases and make one additional purchase each account anniversary year.

This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.

25X Points Total per dollar at IHG®

That's 10X points at IHG® Hotels and Resorts as an IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Cardmember

Plus 10X points from IHG® for being an IHG® Rewards Club member

Plus 5X points from IHG® with Platinum Elite Status, a benefit of this card

2X points per dollar

Earn 2X points on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants.

Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.

Anniversary Night

Enjoy a reward night after each account anniversary year at IHG hotels worldwide.
Anniversary free night is only valid at IHG hotels with a current point redemption level of 40,000 points or less.

Fourth Reward Night

Enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights.*

Annual Fee

$89 per year. Not waived for the first year.

Chase link to site describing the new cards:
https://www.chase.com/content/chase-...edit-cards/ihg

ChasePremier

However, this is not the best offer out there. If you start making a hotel booking on IHG.com, you will be presented with the same offer (80,000 points + 5,000 for AU) PLUS a $50 statement credit.

IHG forum thread about the new cards (and grandfathered old card for those have it already):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...d-options.html

For discussion prior to April 2018, see this archived thread.

Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?

A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your IHG account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2016194-applying-chase-business-cards-april-2020-onward.html

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No.

Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Club Premier MC- 125K Points, Free Night, $3K spend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:08 pm

I am more inclined for the IHG card and I think if I need Hyatt, I can use my UR points rather than paying $95 every year. I have some questions here:

1) Any prior success in retention offers/waiving annual fee before? If so, how much on average was the retention offer?
2) Re the 4th night free stay. Does a trick of splitting your stay work? Like if you plan to stay 8 nights so you make two 4 night reservations back to back ?
3) Someone mentioned before that the 140K bonus is not great compared to the prior 120K with more add bonus on first year. So you recommend waiting until the old offer comes back?
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:12 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
You can research retention offers:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rs-2020-a.html

Chase Retention Offers - 2019
Old Mar 9, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
I am more inclined for the IHG card and I think if I need Hyatt, I can use my UR points rather than paying $95 every year. I have some questions here:

1) Any prior success in retention offers/waiving annual fee before? If so, how much on average was the retention offer?
2) Re the 4th night free stay. Does a trick of splitting your stay work? Like if you plan to stay 8 nights so you make two 4 night reservations back to back ?
3) Someone mentioned before that the 140K bonus is not great compared to the prior 120K with more add bonus on first year. So you recommend waiting until the old offer comes back?
1. trying to rip off chase before you even get the card?
2. I like to know this too
3. No, the 125k offer was not better in my opinion. I did not intend to use the IHG as my primary card so the added bonus on other categories is moot point. I only plan to use the IHG card at IHG Hotels.
Old Mar 9, 2020, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by RedElmo
1. trying to rip off chase before you even get the card?
2. I like to know this too
3. No, the 125k offer was not better in my opinion. I did not intend to use the IHG as my primary card so the added bonus on other categories is moot point. I only plan to use the IHG card at IHG Hotels.
Read well. I asked for potential retention/waiving fees not churning or canceling
Old Mar 10, 2020, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Well...this was a first. Just applied for the card to make some medical payments. I submitted my application and for the first time they asked me a follow up question on if I had any other sources of income besides what I put down as my gross. I said no, and then it said that they would need more time to review my request a little longer. They have no number for me to call to inquire about what is going on, I wonder if I need to reduce the credit line on some of my other CCs. I have a lot of Chase ones, but only use 3 others right now, so I can reduce my other ones to the bare minimum if that helps. Does anyone know if a number to call to find out what is going on/get it resolved?
I applied on Sunday, and had the same wording and experience. I answered no as well. The card showed up in my account today (Monday) with a high limit at the expense of my United Explorer card limit. I don't really use the UE so it's no big deal, but I wish they would have left it somewhere in the middle. I may call and ask them to reallocate at some point, but I'll more likely just have them drop the limit on the IHG right before I'm ready to apply for and pick up another Chase card.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

What are you asking? I had assumed that a points reservation for eight nights would be charged for six nights and two nights would be free. Was I mistaken? I'm sure that making two reservations, each for four nights, would result in two free nights, and I might be tempted to do that for other reasons. But I don't understand what you mean by "trick of splitting your stay" in this context.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 9:14 am
mia

I) Re the 4th night free stay.
I would research this in the IHG forum. Here, perhaps: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...ng-points.html
Old Mar 10, 2020, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisLovesUgly
I applied on Sunday, and had the same wording and experience. I answered no as well. The card showed up in my account today (Monday) with a high limit at the expense of my United Explorer card limit. I don't really use the UE so it's no big deal, but I wish they would have left it somewhere in the middle. I may call and ask them to reallocate at some point, but I'll more likely just have them drop the limit on the IHG right before I'm ready to apply for and pick up another Chase card.
Just as an update on my situation, I had put an fraud alert on my account due to my recent breach to my SSN and mother's maiden name, so Chase had to do a fraud check before approving the card. I am grateful that the fraud alert did what it was supposed to, but yeah, they gave me a ridiculous amount of credit on the IHG card. Way more than any of my other Chase cards. Not sure why they asked about updating my gross income if they ended up being so generous.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:37 pm

wondering if anyone can help - i applied for IHG Premier cc in Aug 2019 when the offer was 125k after spending requirement, AND 40 pts/$ at IHG properties for the FIRST YEAR. I jumped on this offer, and wrote this down in my notes, like I always do with the offers I apply for. But i did not seem to save any screenshots, or paperwork.

I just paid for my first stay at an IHG intercontinental property in Cozumel in Feb. and used this card, expecting to get 40x per $.

First off Chase gave me no points, saying The transaction with "PTE INT COZUMEL RECEP" is not coded as a "Lodging - hotels, motels, and resorts" (not InterContinental Hotels Group properties). I think i can easily prove this one if they go to the IHG website and see that it is called Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel Reception... (but kind of discouraging that they can't tell this is one of their properties in the first place).

The 2nd issue though, is Chase is saying the offer is 25x points per dollar. True that is the offer "right now", but it I am 100% positive it was 40x points when I applied for this card back in August. Any leg to stand on if i dont have the hard proof to show them? Shouldn't this be in their records? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:55 pm
mia

According to this blog article published in August 2019 you will not receive 40 points per dollar from the card, it's a total of 40 including the points awarded by the IHG program:

40 points total per $1 spent on the card when you stay at an IHG hotel. (The total includes both the points you earn from the card and those you get by being a member of the IHG loyalty program.)
Brendan likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mia
According to this blog article published in August 2019 you will not receive 40 points per dollar from the card, it's a total of 40 including the points awarded by the IHG program:

40 points total per $1 spent on the card when you stay at an IHG hotel. (The total includes both the points you earn from the card and those you get by being a member of the IHG loyalty program.)
Yup. Misleading false advertisement. I hate that they do that.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mymyles
wondering if anyone can help - i applied for IHG Premier cc in Aug 2019 when the offer was 125k after spending requirement, AND 40 pts/$ at IHG properties for the FIRST YEAR. I jumped on this offer, and wrote this down in my notes, like I always do with the offers I apply for. But i did not seem to save any screenshots, or paperwork.

I just paid for my first stay at an IHG intercontinental property in Cozumel in Feb. and used this card, expecting to get 40x per $.

First off Chase gave me no points, saying The transaction with "PTE INT COZUMEL RECEP" is not coded as a "Lodging - hotels, motels, and resorts" (not InterContinental Hotels Group properties). I think i can easily prove this one if they go to the IHG website and see that it is called Presidente Intercontinental Cozumel Reception... (but kind of discouraging that they can't tell this is one of their properties in the first place).

The 2nd issue though, is Chase is saying the offer is 25x points per dollar. True that is the offer "right now", but it I am 100% positive it was 40x points when I applied for this card back in August. Any leg to stand on if i dont have the hard proof to show them? Shouldn't this be in their records? Thanks in advance.
I did a screenshot when I was applying and it does say 25x first year then 10x. Here's a copy for your reference.

- Tom

Last edited by tstauck; Mar 26, 2020 at 6:05 pm Reason: add photo
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:02 am

I am at 2/24 and thinking of getting either Chase IHG Premier 140k or AMex Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 100k. Which one should I go for? Thanks in advance for any suggestion!
Old Apr 1, 2020, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fanatic
I am at 2/24 and thinking of getting either Chase IHG Premier 140k or AMex Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 100k. Which one should I go for? Thanks in advance for any suggestion!
I have both, and considering getting both, since one is Chase and one is AMEX. IHG is cheaper, only $95 annual fee and the 140k points can spread out (possibly) to a lot of hotel nights.

Marriott also can be spread to a lot of nights and I love the travel delay insurance. But $450 fee ($300 back for Marriott which I use). PP for the airports but no restaurants which is a bummer for my airports (LAX & SFO).

Comes down to which hotels you stay at, I stay at a lot of both.
fanatic likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by fanatic
I also had both on my radar and went with IHG first because of lower spend, lower fee, and Chase's 5/24. Will likely go with Amex Delta Reserve and Bonvoy Brilliant once things return to normal.
fanatic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.