Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Club Premier MC- 125K Points, Free Night, $3K spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This is the NEW Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier card. It replaced the old IHG Rewards Club Select card in 2018. Existing card members were not automatically product changed to the new card. Among the many changes, the AF jumped from $49 to $89 per year.

Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

Current Offer:

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...mier?CELL=6TKW

125,000 bonus points

after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.

Plus, earn 10,000 bonus points after you spend $20,000 on purchases and make one additional purchase each account anniversary year.

This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.

25X Points Total per dollar at IHG®

That's 10X points at IHG® Hotels and Resorts as an IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Cardmember

Plus 10X points from IHG® for being an IHG® Rewards Club member

Plus 5X points from IHG® with Platinum Elite Status, a benefit of this card

2X points per dollar

Earn 2X points on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants.

Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.

Anniversary Night

Enjoy a reward night after each account anniversary year at IHG hotels worldwide.
Anniversary free night is only valid at IHG hotels with a current point redemption level of 40,000 points or less.

Fourth Reward Night

Enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights.*

Annual Fee

$89 per year. Not waived for the first year.

Chase link to site describing the new cards:
https://www.chase.com/content/chase-...edit-cards/ihg

ChasePremier

However, this is not the best offer out there. If you start making a hotel booking on IHG.com, you will be presented with the same offer (80,000 points + 5,000 for AU) PLUS a $50 statement credit.

IHG forum thread about the new cards (and grandfathered old card for those have it already):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...d-options.html

For discussion prior to April 2018, see this archived thread.

Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?

A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your IHG account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2016194-applying-chase-business-cards-april-2020-onward.html

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No.

Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Club Premier MC- 125K Points, Free Night, $3K spend

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation IHG Rewards Club Premier MC- 125K Points, Free Night, $3K spend

There are pages for the new IHG cards on chase's site now.

https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...r/earn-rewards
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...r/earn-rewards
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Not thrilled about the 40k redemption cap on the cert but I understand why they did it. Interestingly my last few redemptions have been at a property that's now 60k but at times when cash rates were under $200/night before tax. Still, it's a shame I won't have even that option anymore.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
To be honest I don't think I've ever used my free night certificate at a hotel with over 40,000 points. The one night stays I make are in suburban environments where the points rates are less than 25,000 or hotel rates are reasonably cheap, and the multi-night stays I'll do at mid range hotels that may charge about 40,000 points at (although this may have changed with the continuing annual devaluations). I may downgrade to the Traveler IHG card after canceling, assuming I can still get the signup bonus - since Platinum is basically worthless as a benefit.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: Navy A-4 Skyhawk, B727 FE/FO, S80 FO, B757/767 FO, B737 CA
Originally Posted by TTT103
If the change was necessary due to people placing the card in their sock drawer, and only using the annual free night, I would have preferred that they simply issue 40,000 points annually versus the restricted free night.
Exactly. I have the business Club Carlson card and if need be, I can pool 2 years worth of points to use at a stay that would cost well more than $120 (the 2yr of fee) The certificate restricts us to the lower tier hotels which is obviously worse (and the outcome IHG wants, I assume). We're using our last 2 free night certs in Paris this fall...getting over $700 in value for 2 $49 annual fees.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by christianj
I would think they do claw back IF you cancel right away after getting a certificate. If you have a certificate from your last renewal a couple of months ago I would think it would be different.
They absolutely do not. Never seen a datapoint of this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by calwatch
To be honest I don't think I've ever used my free night certificate at a hotel with over 40,000 points. The one night stays I make are in suburban environments where the points rates are less than 25,000 or hotel rates are reasonably cheap, and the multi-night stays I'll do at mid range hotels that may charge about 40,000 points at (although this may have changed with the continuing annual devaluations). I may downgrade to the Traveler IHG card after canceling, assuming I can still get the signup bonus - since Platinum is basically worthless as a benefit.
The main benefit to Platinum is that your points don't expire. But of course, if you expect to always have activity enough to keep your points from expiring, that might not be a concern.

I've used my certificate in at least one recent year for a nice suburban StayBridge hotel that was 20k points but was $250ish (factoring in taxes) that night because of seasonal and/or event demand. (At other times of year it can be priced much lower.) Knowing my travel plans for the rest of the year, I didn't foresee any IHG redemptions at higher amounts and so it didn't matter to me that it was only 20k.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RedElmo
I got my card July 2017. I never even got a free night cert. was looking forward to using it. Time to cancel I guess.
You receive the free night cert on the yearly anniversary date of your account, not when you open it.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mroseman13
You receive the free night cert on the yearly anniversary date of your account, not when you open it.
right. And based on the new devalue of the cert I’ll never get the ANY hotel cert
Old Apr 5, 2018, 6:14 pm

For those wondering, I have the old $49 version. Applied today for the new Premier card and was instantly approved. Over 5/24 so that doesn't seem to apply and this will be my 5th Chase card. Free night may be devalued a bit, but I should get 2 nights now. Add in 2 from my wife and we can get a decent 4 night stay for $276 in annual fees. One of our favorite hotels happens to be right at 40K...at least for now.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 1:10 am

I understand there are no product change opportunity with this card. Guess the only thing is to cancel the card then, if the new product doesn't suit.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by travel4free
For those wondering, I have the old $49 version. Applied today for the new Premier card and was instantly approved. Over 5/24 so that doesn't seem to apply and this will be my 5th Chase card. Free night may be devalued a bit, but I should get 2 nights now. Add in 2 from my wife and we can get a decent 4 night stay for $276 in annual fees. One of our favorite hotels happens to be right at 40K...at least for now.
Goes to show even in near universal downgrade, there's a gem for someone.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Currently have the old IHG card and was just instantly approved for the Premier IHG card. Wondering how long until I'm able to use the 4th night free benefit -- I have an immediate need for that and am ready to book ASAP!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
These aren't UR points that this card gives you right?

How do you get 80k? You have to spend $2000 to get 60k and then add authorized user and some other things?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by wco81
These aren't UR points that this card gives you right?

How do you get 80k? You have to spend $2000 to get 60k and then add authorized user and some other things?
These are IHG Rewards points -- NOT Chase UR points.

For the Premier card, the offer is for 80k points after $2000 spend. Authorized user is another 5k points. Annual fee is $89. Card comes with an annual free night at properties 40k points and less. Also comes with Platinum status.

The Traveler card offer is for 60k points after $2000 spend. Authorized user is another 5k points. Annual fee is $29. Card does NOT come with annual free night.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Au4882
These are IHG Rewards points -- NOT Chase UR points.

For the Premier card, the offer is for 80k points after $2000 spend. Authorized user is another 5k points. Annual fee is $89. Card comes with an annual free night at properties 40k points and less. Also comes with Platinum status.

The Traveler card offer is for 60k points after $2000 spend. Authorized user is another 5k points. Annual fee is $29. Card does NOT come with annual free night.

Thanks for the rundown.

Is the free night at the 40k and under properties worth the $89 annual fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.