Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Club Premier MC- 125K Points, Free Night, $3K spend

Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This is the NEW Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier card. It replaced the old IHG Rewards Club Select card in 2018. Existing card members were not automatically product changed to the new card. Among the many changes, the AF jumped from $49 to $89 per year.

Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

Current Offer:

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...mier?CELL=6TKW

125,000 bonus points

after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.

Plus, earn 10,000 bonus points after you spend $20,000 on purchases and make one additional purchase each account anniversary year.

This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.

25X Points Total per dollar at IHG

That's 10X points at IHG Hotels and Resorts as an IHG Rewards Club Premier Credit Cardmember

Plus 10X points from IHG for being an IHG Rewards Club member

Plus 5X points from IHG with Platinum Elite Status, a benefit of this card

2X points per dollar

Earn 2X points on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants.

Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.

Anniversary Night

Enjoy a reward night after each account anniversary year at IHG hotels worldwide.
Anniversary free night is only valid at IHG hotels with a current point redemption level of 40,000 points or less.

Fourth Reward Night

Enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights.*

Annual Fee

$89 per year. Not waived for the first year.

Chase link to site describing the new cards:
https://www.chase.com/content/chase-...edit-cards/ihg

ChasePremier

However, this is not the best offer out there. If you start making a hotel booking on IHG.com, you will be presented with the same offer (80,000 points + 5,000 for AU) PLUS a $50 statement credit.

IHG forum thread about the new cards (and grandfathered old card for those have it already):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...d-options.html

For discussion prior to April 2018, see this archived thread.

Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?

A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your IHG account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2016194-applying-chase-business-cards-april-2020-onward.html

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No.

Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Club Premier MC- 125K Points, Free Night, $3K spend

Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:28 am

I applied for the new premier card on 4/6, and was able to book a 4th night free stay today (4/12). It gives you a message right before final booking that the 4th night is free and reflects it in the total points due.
Au4882 and Tony300S like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by phantom1584
I applied for the new premier card on 4/6, and was able to book a 4th night free stay today (4/12). It gives you a message right before final booking that the 4th night is free and reflects it in the total points due.
This was my experience as well. It seems IHG added this capability sometime on 4/11, as I tried to book a 4 night stay multiple times over the last several days.
beltway likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 8:10 am

To the question of where we've used the cert.:

2018: Indigo Rome
2017: Holiday Inn 6th Ave.-Chelsea (probably could have gotten a better NYC property, but combined it with a free night at the Hilton on the same block)
2016: Indigo Rome
2015: Mark Hopkins San Francisco
2014: Hotel de la Ville Rome (since closed)
2013: IC Boston
2012: Hotel de la Ville Rome
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:37 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I've had the IHG Rewards Club card for 5 months. I just got a notice from IHG that my status has dropped from Platinum to Gold. Plat status was a benefit of the card when I signed up... was that benefit downgraded along with the new limits on the free night?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Been thinking about what to do with this card. Just got it last July and haven't even been able to use the free night before they got devalued. So I'm thinking definitely will be closing it but probably not for another year or so. Only because I'm definitely closing my SW card too in a few months but don't want to tick Chase off by closing 2 in one year.
If you think about it as "I make money if I book a hotel that costs more than $49 for the night" with this card, can't you find a night where you make money using the free night certificate? Yes, you may not get as much value out of it as you thought you might, but if next time you need a hotel and there's an IHG hotel available, if the hotel you would paid cash for cost more than $49 including all taxes, you're ahead!

So I don't understand how these certificates can be "useless" for someone who does significant personal paid travel, unless you're only traveling to places where no IHG hotels exist (but in that case, why would you have gotten the card)?
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:38 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by wco81
Thanks, was just curious what kind of hotels FTers have redeemed for the free night.
Originally Posted by Au4882
2018: Kimpton Seafire Resort & Spa, Grand Cayman
2017: InterContinental Hong Kong
2016: InterContinental Hong Kong
2015: InterContinental Bora Bora Thalasso
Each of these are 3 Certificate stays
2018 - Kimpton Seafire Resort & Spa, Grand Cayman (3 certs, 4 nights on points)
2017 - IC Bora Bora Le Moana
2016 - IC Bora Bora Thalasso
2015 - some generic Hawaii location

We have most definitely achieve fantastic value 800-1200 value per cert!
2015 -
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
Each of these are 3 Certificate stays
2018 - Kimpton Seafire Resort & Spa, Grand Cayman (3 certs, 4 nights on points)
2017 - IC Bora Bora Le Moana
2016 - IC Bora Bora Thalasso
2015 - some generic Hawaii location

We have most definitely achieve fantastic value 800-1200 value per cert!
2015 -
Absolutely!

-Bora Bora was able to use free night at Thalasso + 4 nights points + 2 nights points at Le Moana (back when they actually opened up a reasonable amount of rooms on points!)
- Hong Kong have paired free night each year with the Ambassador BoGo
- Was just able to do Seafire free night + 4 more points nights (for the price of 3)

I'll definitely miss the un-capped free night award, but will put the new card benefits to good use.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
If you think about it as "I make money if I book a hotel that costs more than $49 for the night" with this card, can't you find a night where you make money using the free night certificate? Yes, you may not get as much value out of it as you thought you might, but if next time you need a hotel and there's an IHG hotel available, if the hotel you would paid cash for cost more than $49 including all taxes, you're ahead!

So I don't understand how these certificates can be "useless" for someone who does significant personal paid travel, unless you're only traveling to places where no IHG hotels exist (but in that case, why would you have gotten the card)?
Quite sad that we can't use the certs again at IC Hong Kong, and Willard DC. But a Crowne Plaza in Europe that we've stayed at several times on points is still at 30K, and the cash price is $160, so for that property $49 a night is a $100 discount. We are not only keeping our cards, we will probably get a set of the Premier cards, since $89 for a $160 room is still a deal.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Au4882
Absolutely!

-Bora Bora was able to use free night at Thalasso + 4 nights points + 2 nights points at Le Moana (back when they actually opened up a reasonable amount of rooms on points!)
- Hong Kong have paired free night each year with the Ambassador BoGo
- Was just able to do Seafire free night + 4 more points nights (for the price of 3)

I'll definitely miss the un-capped free night award, but will put the new card benefits to good use.
did the Kimpton sea fire charge you the $60 resort fee on the free night, or on the points?
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:11 am

Brand new thread, with title "New cards issued 04/04/2018", so looked at the wiki to find information on the new cards it references. Not a word about them, other than in the title. Would appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable then I would update it.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Diamond Ambassador
The new cards should be in hands by now.
Can someone provide a listing of the actual card benefits for the premiere card.

This should be a World Elite card but something tells me the benefits are watered down.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch

Never said it was useless and definitely did not apply for it to not stay at any IHGHotels. Not sure what good that would do to earn the points...
Old Apr 14, 2018, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RobertHanson
Brand new thread, with title "New cards issued 04/04/2018", so looked at the wiki to find information on the new cards it references. Not a word about them, other than in the title. Would appreciate it if someone more knowledgeable then I would update it.
I just did a simple update to the wiki, adding a link the Chase website about the two new cards at the top, plus a link to IHG forum thread about the two new cards (plus the mostly "grandfathered" status of the old card).
Old Apr 15, 2018, 10:50 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I've had the IHG Rewards Club card for 5 months. I just got a notice from IHG that my status has dropped from Platinum to Gold. Plat status was a benefit of the card when I signed up... was that benefit downgraded along with the new limits on the free night?
I just checked mine. I still have the Platinum status from the old card. Is it possible that your account is now linked to the new Premier card? I wonder whether the IHG program has the ability to determine that you have two separate cards and give you the higher of the two status? Just a thought. I don't know the answer.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EdofFX
I just checked mine. I still have the Platinum status from the old card. Is it possible that your account is now linked to the new Premier card? I wonder whether the IHG program has the ability to determine that you have two separate cards and give you the higher of the two status? Just a thought. I don't know the answer.
I also checked mine, and also still have the Platinum status from the old card.

Meanwihle, the new Premier also gives Platinum status:

https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/ihg/premiernaep

so I don't see why that would be an explanation either.
bigbuy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.