Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

IHG Rewards Club Premier MC- 125K Points, Free Night, $3K spend

Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MDtR-Chicago
This is the NEW Chase IHG Rewards Club Premier card. It replaced the old IHG Rewards Club Select card in 2018. Existing card members were not automatically product changed to the new card. Among the many changes, the AF jumped from $49 to $89 per year.

Moderator caution: Referral offers -or- links are NOT permitted in any thread in the Chase forum. Instead, see: Credit card referral offers (post only in this thread, read Wikipost first Please do not post ANY application links in the Wikipost or thread, even if you think they are not referral links. If you think there is an extraordinary circumstance where the link is difficult to find elsewhere, consult with a moderator before posting.

Current Offer:

https://creditcards.chase.com/travel...mier?CELL=6TKW

125,000 bonus points

after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening.

Plus, earn 10,000 bonus points after you spend $20,000 on purchases and make one additional purchase each account anniversary year.

This product is available to you if you do not have this card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for this card in the past 24 months.

25X Points Total per dollar at IHG®

That's 10X points at IHG® Hotels and Resorts as an IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Cardmember

Plus 10X points from IHG® for being an IHG® Rewards Club member

Plus 5X points from IHG® with Platinum Elite Status, a benefit of this card

2X points per dollar

Earn 2X points on purchases at gas stations, grocery stores, and restaurants.

Earn 1 point per $1 spent on all other purchases.

Anniversary Night

Enjoy a reward night after each account anniversary year at IHG hotels worldwide.
Anniversary free night is only valid at IHG hotels with a current point redemption level of 40,000 points or less.

Fourth Reward Night

Enjoy a reward night when you redeem points for any stay of 4 or more nights.*

Annual Fee

$89 per year. Not waived for the first year.

Chase link to site describing the new cards:
https://www.chase.com/content/chase-...edit-cards/ihg

ChasePremier

However, this is not the best offer out there. If you start making a hotel booking on IHG.com, you will be presented with the same offer (80,000 points + 5,000 for AU) PLUS a $50 statement credit.

IHG forum thread about the new cards (and grandfathered old card for those have it already):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...d-options.html

For discussion prior to April 2018, see this archived thread.

Q. Where can I learn more about the annual free-night certificate associated with this card? How long are the certificates good for? Are the certificates revoked if you cancel your Chase card?

A. See Annual Free Night Cert from IHG (Rewards Club) Visa / Mastercard.

Q. Once I meet the spending requirement, how soon will I receive my bonus points?

A. Bonus points typically accrue at the close of the billing period in which you incur the corresponding charges. Points should appear in your IHG account within a few days thereafter.

NOTE: If you complete your required spending in the last 7-10 days of the statement period, the bonus may not post until the following month's statement, even if the regular per-dollar points post on the first statement. This is normal behavior for Chase and is not worth a phone call.

Q. Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?

A. For answers to these and other questions, see the wiki and related discussion in the master discussion thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/2016194-applying-chase-business-cards-april-2020-onward.html

Q. Will the signup bonus count toward Spire Elite status?

A. No.

Print Wikipost

IHG Rewards Club Premier MC- 125K Points, Free Night, $3K spend

Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:19 am

Has anyone even received the new card yet in the mail? I think it took about two weeks with the old IHG card before my account reflected platnium status. I’d say next week at the earliest to actually use the 4th night perk.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Au4882
I'm trying to book 4 nights at a 70k per night property. With the new benefit, I'd only need 210k points for the 280k points stay. The IHG rep is telling me that in order for the reservation to be processed, I need 280K points in my account, but only 210K will be charged. This is BS. Nowhere in the terms does it say this. I currently have ~220k points in my account, so according to this rep, I cannot book the 4 nights with this new "benefit."
Yeah, that's a rebate, not "fourth night free."

I also wonder if they'll really just zero out--OK, rebate--the fourth night even if it costs more than the other nights. That's what the Chase offer terms imply:

Old Apr 10, 2018, 10:52 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by beltway

I also wonder if they'll really just zero out--OK, rebate--the fourth night even if it costs more than the other nights. That's what the Chase offer terms imply:
IHG doesn’t have variable award pricing like Hilton (at least not yet!), so there will either be award availability or not, and all available award nights will be priced the same.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dw

IHG doesn’t have variable award pricing like Hilton (at least not yet!), so there will either be award availability or not, and all available award nights will be priced the same.
You know it's coming. Maybe they'll introduce it slowly (a la the pricing bands SPG uses for higher-level properties), but I have no doubt we'll see variable award rates for IHG within a year or two.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I am way over 5/24. Is the new Premier IHG card also not subject to 5/24? Any DP on this?
Old Apr 10, 2018, 6:49 pm
dw

Originally Posted by EdofFX
I am way over 5/24. Is the new Premier IHG card also not subject to 5/24? Any DP on this?
Data points from the last week have indicated it is not subject to 5/24
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by wco81
Question is what is the typical rack rate of those hotels?
Are there restrictions on redeeming this benefit, like blacked out dates, only booking on hotel sites, etc.?
The certificates book from the same inventory as awards nights. If a room is available on points for the night requested, you can use your certificate for it. You must book it through IHG.com and select free-night certificate (not awards points) as the rate type.

As for what's the typical rack rate, you need to gauge that yourself depending on the locations and dates you might try to redeem the certificate. For me, I'd figure I can make the 40k-limited cert worth at least $150 still. That seems like enough more than the $89 AF to make the card worthwhile, though clearly not the bargain the $49 AF card with unlimited cert was.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 12:02 pm
dw

Originally Posted by phantom1584
Has anyone even received the new card yet in the mail?
I applied last Thursday and just received an email from Chase informing me that my card was sent out yesterday.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by beltway

FYI - I just tried to book a 4 night award stay online again, and it automatically calculated the rate for 3 nights instead of 4. So I was successfully able to book a four-night, 70K per night stay for 210K points. ^

I have not yet received my card and do not have any sort of account activity showing that the new credit card has been linked -- it just suddenly was enabled on the website.

Very happy to see that this works.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:26 pm

Has anybody seen anything that might possibly indicate that there's some way to use the new crappy certificates as the first 40k points of a redemption at a higher-level property? So for a 50k property, certificate + 10k points? That would be the only redeeming factor for us. There are very few 40k properties in my destinations that would feel like a real reward, but there are plenty of 50-55k properties that would seem like a steal for "only" 10-15k points.

Since it was asked earlier, I've redeemed these certificates at hotels costing 70k, 60k, and 50k points. Almost always 2 nights in a row (my card and my wife's).
Old Apr 11, 2018, 9:31 pm
dw

Originally Posted by bobert24
Has anybody seen anything that might possibly indicate that there's some way to use the new crappy certificates as the first 40k points of a redemption at a higher-level property? So for a 50k property, certificate + 10k points?
No that will not be possible. By introducing this new limitation, they are not only capping their reimbursement costs related to redemption, but undoubtedly counting on breakage by making them harder to use.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Au4882
FYI - I just tried to book a 4 night award stay online again, and it automatically calculated the rate for 3 nights instead of 4. So I was successfully able to book a four-night, 70K per night stay for 210K points. ^

I have not yet received my card and do not have any sort of account activity showing that the new credit card has been linked -- it just suddenly was enabled on the website.

Very happy to see that this works.
Thanks for reporting back. Thalasso just got harder.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:51 pm

Been thinking about what to do with this card. Just got it last July and haven't even been able to use the free night before they got devalued. So I'm thinking definitely will be closing it but probably not for another year or so. Only because I'm definitely closing my SW card too in a few months but don't want to tick Chase off by closing 2 in one year.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:16 am

Applied for my wife on the last day the $49 version was available. Got a letter saying they needed to confirm that my wife really applied. If we don't call, they won't process the application. It's worth it to us to get the card if it will have an unlimited free night once, but if it's capped at 40K points, it's probably not worth it. Not sure whether to go through with the application or not, but I realize there is still conflicting information about the status of new apps under the old card's terms.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Kimpton IC; IHG Diamond Ambassador;
Originally Posted by wco81
Thanks, was just curious what kind of hotels FTers have redeemed for the free night.
2018: Kimpton Seafire Resort & Spa, Grand Cayman
2017: InterContinental Hong Kong
2016: InterContinental Hong Kong
2015: InterContinental Bora Bora Thalasso

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.