FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   IHG Rewards Club Premier MC- 125K Points, Free Night, $3K spend (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1902870-ihg-rewards-club-premier-mc-125k-points-free-night-3k-spend.html)

nall Apr 4, 2018 2:50 pm

IHG Rewards Club Premier MC- 125K Points, Free Night, $3K spend

There are pages for the new IHG cards on chase's site now.

https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...r/earn-rewards
https://www.chase.com/personal/credi...r/earn-rewards

darthbimmer Apr 4, 2018 8:49 pm

Not thrilled about the 40k redemption cap on the cert but I understand why they did it. Interestingly my last few redemptions have been at a property that's now 60k but at times when cash rates were under $200/night before tax. Still, it's a shame I won't have even that option anymore.

calwatch Apr 4, 2018 10:04 pm

To be honest I don't think I've ever used my free night certificate at a hotel with over 40,000 points. The one night stays I make are in suburban environments where the points rates are less than 25,000 or hotel rates are reasonably cheap, and the multi-night stays I'll do at mid range hotels that may charge about 40,000 points at (although this may have changed with the continuing annual devaluations). I may downgrade to the Traveler IHG card after canceling, assuming I can still get the signup bonus - since Platinum is basically worthless as a benefit.

fredc84 Apr 5, 2018 7:12 am

Originally Posted by TTT103 (Post 29599655)
If the change was necessary due to people placing the card in their sock drawer, and only using the annual free night, I would have preferred that they simply issue 40,000 points annually versus the restricted free night.

Exactly. I have the business Club Carlson card and if need be, I can pool 2 years worth of points to use at a stay that would cost well more than $120 (the 2yr of fee) The certificate restricts us to the lower tier hotels which is obviously worse (and the outcome IHG wants, I assume). We're using our last 2 free night certs in Paris this fall...getting over $700 in value for 2 $49 annual fees.

osmantrex Apr 5, 2018 8:39 am

Originally Posted by christianj (Post 29597068)
I would think they do claw back IF you cancel right away after getting a certificate. If you have a certificate from your last renewal a couple of months ago I would think it would be different.

They absolutely do not. Never seen a datapoint of this.

sdsearch Apr 5, 2018 10:44 am

Originally Posted by calwatch (Post 29604268)
To be honest I don't think I've ever used my free night certificate at a hotel with over 40,000 points. The one night stays I make are in suburban environments where the points rates are less than 25,000 or hotel rates are reasonably cheap, and the multi-night stays I'll do at mid range hotels that may charge about 40,000 points at (although this may have changed with the continuing annual devaluations). I may downgrade to the Traveler IHG card after canceling, assuming I can still get the signup bonus - since Platinum is basically worthless as a benefit.

The main benefit to Platinum is that your points don't expire. But of course, if you expect to always have activity enough to keep your points from expiring, that might not be a concern.

I've used my certificate in at least one recent year for a nice suburban StayBridge hotel that was 20k points but was $250ish (factoring in taxes) that night because of seasonal and/or event demand. (At other times of year it can be priced much lower.) Knowing my travel plans for the rest of the year, I didn't foresee any IHG redemptions at higher amounts and so it didn't matter to me that it was only 20k.

mroseman13 Apr 5, 2018 11:28 am

Originally Posted by RedElmo (Post 29602079)
I got my card July 2017. I never even got a free night cert. was looking forward to using it. Time to cancel I guess.

You receive the free night cert on the yearly anniversary date of your account, not when you open it.

RedElmo Apr 5, 2018 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mroseman13 (Post 29606420)
You receive the free night cert on the yearly anniversary date of your account, not when you open it.

right. And based on the new devalue of the cert I’ll never get the ANY hotel cert

travel4free Apr 5, 2018 6:14 pm

For those wondering, I have the old $49 version. Applied today for the new Premier card and was instantly approved. Over 5/24 so that doesn't seem to apply and this will be my 5th Chase card. Free night may be devalued a bit, but I should get 2 nights now. Add in 2 from my wife and we can get a decent 4 night stay for $276 in annual fees. One of our favorite hotels happens to be right at 40K...at least for now.

cxua Apr 6, 2018 1:10 am

I understand there are no product change opportunity with this card. Guess the only thing is to cancel the card then, if the new product doesn't suit.

flyershmlyer Apr 6, 2018 5:40 am

Originally Posted by travel4free (Post 29607843)
For those wondering, I have the old $49 version. Applied today for the new Premier card and was instantly approved. Over 5/24 so that doesn't seem to apply and this will be my 5th Chase card. Free night may be devalued a bit, but I should get 2 nights now. Add in 2 from my wife and we can get a decent 4 night stay for $276 in annual fees. One of our favorite hotels happens to be right at 40K...at least for now.

Goes to show even in near universal downgrade, there's a gem for someone.

Au4882 Apr 6, 2018 10:02 am

Currently have the old IHG card and was just instantly approved for the Premier IHG card. Wondering how long until I'm able to use the 4th night free benefit -- I have an immediate need for that and am ready to book ASAP!

wco81 Apr 6, 2018 11:01 am

These aren't UR points that this card gives you right?

How do you get 80k? You have to spend $2000 to get 60k and then add authorized user and some other things?

Au4882 Apr 6, 2018 11:48 am

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 29610304)
These aren't UR points that this card gives you right?

How do you get 80k? You have to spend $2000 to get 60k and then add authorized user and some other things?

These are IHG Rewards points -- NOT Chase UR points.

For the Premier card, the offer is for 80k points after $2000 spend. Authorized user is another 5k points. Annual fee is $89. Card comes with an annual free night at properties 40k points and less. Also comes with Platinum status.

The Traveler card offer is for 60k points after $2000 spend. Authorized user is another 5k points. Annual fee is $29. Card does NOT come with annual free night.

wco81 Apr 6, 2018 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Au4882 (Post 29610463)
These are IHG Rewards points -- NOT Chase UR points.

For the Premier card, the offer is for 80k points after $2000 spend. Authorized user is another 5k points. Annual fee is $89. Card comes with an annual free night at properties 40k points and less. Also comes with Platinum status.

The Traveler card offer is for 60k points after $2000 spend. Authorized user is another 5k points. Annual fee is $29. Card does NOT come with annual free night.

Thanks for the rundown.

Is the free night at the 40k and under properties worth the $89 annual fee?