Booking Southwest Flights on UR Portal

Old Apr 3, 18, 11:39 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 37
Booking Southwest Flights on UR Portal

On the UR portal it states you can call for travel with Allegiant and Southwest. Since I have a CSP if I call and book through them would it cost less points than transferring and booking with Southwest directly?
Mace03 is offline  
Old Apr 3, 18, 3:57 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Dallas, TX
Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Posts: 452
Originally Posted by Mace03 View Post
On the UR portal it states you can call for travel with Allegiant and Southwest. Since I have a CSP if I call and book through them would it cost less points than transferring and booking with Southwest directly?
In general, you'll get a better value than CSP (1.25cpp) by transferring to WN, but there may be scenarios where that's not true. Try a couple test cases and see.
roundtree is offline  
Old Apr 3, 18, 9:10 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Intermountain West
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,633
Originally Posted by roundtree View Post
In general, you'll get a better value than CSP (1.25cpp) by transferring to WN, but there may be scenarios where that's not true. Try a couple test cases and see.
Right. No hard and fast answer. Play with the options.
philemer is offline  
Old Apr 5, 18, 4:06 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 986
Always remember when paying (booking via Chase) you'll earn Southwest points/miles, whatever they give out. When transferring you'll be redeeming a reward with Southwest and probably won't earn anything... So factor that into your equation too.
acarney is offline  
Old Apr 6, 18, 6:23 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,673
Originally Posted by roundtree View Post
In general, you'll get a better value than CSP (1.25cpp) by transferring to WN, but there may be scenarios where that's not true. Try a couple test cases and see.
Unfortunately Southwest changed the math which brings the value comparison closer to Chase redemptions. With CSP (1.25cpp) it's most often still better to transfer to WN. With CSR (1.5cpp), however, it's more of a toss-up now. As always, one should check their own itinerary to compare prior to deciding which currency to use.
pallhedge is offline  
Old Apr 8, 18, 9:39 am
  #6  
abk
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: stl
Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm. SPG LT Titanium. UA 712,524 miles and no longer trying.
Posts: 2,944
Originally Posted by pallhedge View Post
Unfortunately Southwest changed the math which brings the value comparison closer to Chase redemptions. With CSP (1.25cpp) it's most often still better to transfer to WN. With CSR (1.5cpp), however, it's more of a toss-up now. As always, one should check their own itinerary to compare prior to deciding which currency to use.
When you book through the portal do you loose the flexibility you get if you book directly through WN
abk is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:48 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,059
Re-hashing an old topic but I just booked two one way international flights and think the CSR portal was a better fit because I avoid the taxes and also will earn points for the flights as opposed to transferring them to Southwest and making a RR booking. As I understand it, if for whatever reason I need to cancel one or both of these flights I will have 12 months to use the travel funds inside Southwest from date of cancel? Will the funds show up as revenue I take it and not RR's? Also, I assume I can add my companion to both one way itineraries and pay the international taxes and that's it? I did all this through chase portal to at least avoid the international taxes on my fare and to earn points on my fare(s), one was business select and the other was WGA. I assume I still will earn 12x and 6x respectively for each flight?
DeltaNeutral28 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:11 pm
  #8  
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Miami & London
Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Posts: 42,542
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
....I did all this through chase portal to at least avoid the international taxes on my fare ....
I am pretty sure than you paid the taxes as part of the fare.
mia is online now  
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:55 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,059
Originally Posted by mia View Post
I am pretty sure than you paid the taxes as part of the fare.
Sounds good to me as you have to pay the taxes when you book with points which is revenue based for Southwest. I'll have to use the RR that are anchored at some point but I'll strategize to do that on domestic $5.60 award bookings.
DeltaNeutral28 is offline  
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:11 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by Mace03 View Post
On the UR portal it states you can call for travel with Allegiant and Southwest. Since I have a CSP if I call and book through them would it cost less points than transferring and booking with Southwest directly?
I didn't know about calling to book Southwest or Allegiant. Have you been successful in doing so?
discountsae is offline  
Old Jan 16, 20, 8:55 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,059
Originally Posted by discountsae View Post
I didn't know about calling to book Southwest or Allegiant. Have you been successful in doing so?
Yes , did for SW just recently. Grab a beer though, it takes a while. With UR, you get the slightly better 1.5x toward the cash flight on Sw's website which is a little better than what SW gives for RR bookings( I think 1.43x-1.45x right now for domestics, a little lower on Intl). Get to earn RR on the flight too by booking with UR. Only drawback is by booking through Chase you will get the travel credit in dollars added to your account to use within 12 months if you have to cancel instead of RR being re-deposited upon cancellation.
DeltaNeutral28 is offline  
Old Jan 16, 20, 12:22 pm
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
Yes , did for SW just recently. Grab a beer though, it takes a while. With UR, you get the slightly better 1.5x toward the cash flight on Sw's website which is a little better than what SW gives for RR bookings( I think 1.43x-1.45x right now for domestics, a little lower on Intl). Get to earn RR on the flight too by booking with UR. Only drawback is by booking through Chase you will get the travel credit in dollars added to your account to use within 12 months if you have to cancel instead of RR being re-deposited upon cancellation.

Those are some excellent points, especially about if I need to cancel a flight. Than you.
discountsae is offline  
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:45 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: PDX
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 566
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
Only drawback is by booking through Chase you will get the travel credit in dollars added to your account to use within 12 months if you have to cancel instead of RR being re-deposited upon cancellation.
I think the other drawback is that if you're also booking tickets for other travelers the cancelled funds will be tied to their names and not reusable for someone else like RR points would.
czpdx is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 9:53 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 116
Originally Posted by czpdx View Post
I think the other drawback is that if you're also booking tickets for other travelers the cancelled funds will be tied to their names and not reusable for someone else like RR points would.
Similar to making a cash (not points) booking directly with SW.
discountsae is offline  
Old Jan 30, 20, 12:16 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: DAY
Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Posts: 2,627
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
As I understand it, if for whatever reason I need to cancel one or both of these flights I will have 12 months to use the travel funds inside Southwest from date of cancel?
No. 12 months from date of purchase not date of cancel.
Cledaybuck is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: