Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

In 2018 Chase changed the outsourced booking portal operator from Connexions to Expedia. Posts from January to mid-October 2018 have been archived to a separate thread. Those posts discussed the portal as operated by Connexions, -and- the transition process to Expedia.

There is another thread to discuss booking by transferring to airline of hotel programs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

Pay special attention to booking via Chase UR/Expedia with regard to rewards and benefits. Chase UR + Expedia is considered OTA (Online Travel Agency). Travelers purchase or pre-pay travel with the OTA and is subject to the T&C from the OTA. In general, travelers receive miles rewards on flights, but do not receive night credit on hotel stays. Also, in general, travelers lose the airline or hotel status and do not receive the associated benefits (free breakfast, room upgrade etc).

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

3.5) How to book cruises?
Chase outsources this to a travel agency specializing in cruises. (I believe they are available solely by telephone.) Agents there can book cruises for you using your URs for payments from initial deposit to final payment. It's also possible to transfer an existing cruise booking to that travel agency. That agency can then make payments (full or partial). However, to transfer a booking, there are some constraints to be aware of. A) The booking and deposit has to be made directly with the cruise line. If you use another agency, you're out of luck. B) The cruise lines limit the window when you can transfer a booking from their control to an agency's. It closes as early as 30 days after initial deposit up to final deposit due date (typically 75-120 prior to sail date) depending on the particular cruise line's rules (which are subject to change).

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve or JPMR card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

4.5) How do Refunds Work?
When cancelling a booking (and a refund is due), points will be added back to your UR balance and dollars will be refunded to the credit card account used.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2017, can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...14-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by breakthrough37
The prices are the same as Expedia but you have to enter your credit card number to complete the booking. The agent at Expedia can issue tickets. UR is separate from Expedia and may not have proprietary rights. The agents can only take information to submit a trouble ticket. There is no estimate on how long the site will be down..
I have been trying for three days. The CSR have tried for the last three days and have received the same error. It may be the inventory but the flights shows up on Expedia. The flight is a month away. I try to book three or four times a day. Sometimes I use my iPhone same error.
I'm assuming that you know that all possible flights do NOT appear on Expedia via Chase UR.

Also, not sure what you mean when you say the site is down. After you login to your Chase UR account can you see any flights available on Expedia?

Sorry to hear of your dilemma. Hopefully things will work for you soon.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:01 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
Booking flights on Ultimate Reward

I login to my account select the flights enter all the required information date of birth, name, seat selection and verify email address complete the book. The booking is being processed. Then the error appears. I contacted CSR. They received the same error. I have tried different browsers and have used my iPhone. I always received the same error. The CSR or their supervisor do not have any direct access to the Expedia software they can only submit a support ticket. UR may have a franchise with Expedia with limited access. UR has to wait until Expedia solves the booking issue.

The Expedia website has a large inventory than UR and may have additional carriers flying the same route.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I login to my account select the flights enter all the required information date of birth, name, seat selection and verify email address complete the book. The booking is being processed. Then the error appears. I contacted CSR. They received the same error. I have tried different browsers and have used my iPhone. I always received the same error. The CSR or their supervisor do not have any direct access to the Expedia software they can only submit a support ticket. UR may have a franchise with Expedia with limited access. UR has to wait until Expedia solves the booking issue.

The Expedia website has a large inventory than UR and may have additional carriers flying the same route.
In a post above you mentioned using a credit card. Have you tried booking a flt using only UR pts? Then a card # is not required.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:05 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K, Star Alliance Gold, Titanium Elite Marriott, Celebrity Elite, IHG, Hilton Diamond
Chase Ultimate Reward

I am using points only. I have twice the required points. I am doing an open jaw. The second flight is from Singapore to Los Angeles. I could purchase the tickets directly from Delta. However since I accumulated all these points I would like to use them now.

During the booking process there is an option to pay in cash or use points the software automatically defaults to points if there are enough points in the account or cash and points if there are not enough points in the account.

CSR has mentioned that this error occurs periodically and all the can do is file a trouble ticket.

I have booked a couple of times in the past when UR was handling the software and never had any problems.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 5:47 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
The prices are the same as Expedia but you have to enter your credit card number to complete the booking....
Understood, I was not suggesting that you complete the purchase of the ticket on expedia.com, only that you test to see if the same problem occurred because that would tell you if there is a backend problem between Expedia and Delta.

The Chase travel site is outsourced to Expedia. It was previously operated by Connexions. You need to get past the frontline staff who will only create a ticket to report technical faults.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 10:12 am

I tried again this morning. I have contact someone outside of the UR that is working on my complaint. I should have an update by Monday. This is the booking process that I have tried. I entered all the required information verified my email address accepted the conditions.
Trip Total: 80,917 PTS or $1,213.76
$1,213.76
Only 7 tickets left at this price!How would you like to pay?Available points balance:
229,306 PTS
Payment Options
Use the
Use my Ultimate Rewards pointsYou've covered the total trip amount with points so nothing will be billed to your card.Complete BookingSorry
We weren't able to proceed with your booking. You may return to the previous page to try again.
Otherwise, please try your search again.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 6:50 pm

The UR Travel Portal is accessible using any browser. There is a problem completing a booking. After all the information is entered and the booking is being processed an error message appears requesting to start over. The error has occurred over the last five or six days CSR or their supervisors have no answers why the problems are occurring and when it will be resolved.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I tried again this morning. I have contact someone outside of the UR that is working on my complaint. I should have an update by Monday. This is the booking process that I have tried. I entered all the required information verified my email address accepted the conditions.
$1,213.76
Only 7 tickets left at this price!How would you like to pay?Available points balance:
229,306 PTS
Payment Options
Use the
Use my Ultimate Rewards pointsYou've covered the total trip amount with points so nothing will be billed to your card.Complete BookingSorry
We weren't able to proceed with your booking. You may return to the previous page to try again.
Have you tried charging a minimal amount to the card and the rest in points?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:27 pm

I use the UR points most of time for travel. I have never had any problems booking on line before. It has been three days now and the site is still down and the agents on duty are unable to manually process booking.
Any updates today on booking your travel?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:30 pm

Booking flights on ultimate rewards

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
No. I have no tried that. I will give it a try later. I was on the phone with the CSR and all the way up to Level Three Supervisor this morning one hour and ten minutes. I have a cruise booked next month and I am trying to book by flights before the fares go up. All the way up the line they all received the same error. The top level supervisor suggested that I book the trip with the carrier and request reimbursement. She couldn't explain how that would work. I asked her to send me the information about the reimbursement in writing. I have been working on this for about six days using my iPhone, second computer and all available browser. The CSR said someone was by from Chase on Friday and they were working on the problem.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I tried a mix of points and dollars and received the error message "

Sorry

Otherwise, please try your search again."

This is the same message that I have been receiving and the CSR and their supervisors are receiving.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by PatrickTM
I have been trying a couple of times every day for the last six days. I called this morning the CSR and their supervisors could not process the booking. I spoke to three level of supervisors. There is no indications when the site will be available again to process booking. I am waiting for a call from Chase Cardholders Service about the problems with UR. There are some old reports of problems with UR on Twitter last year but now new issues have been reported.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by PatrickTM
I just heard from Chase@Twitter
"We sincerely apologize for the recent experience you have had. We never want you to feel this way. A formal complaint has been filed on your behalf to ensure your voice is heard. Additionally, we have forwarded your concern to the Travel Service Center so that we can provide you with additional support. They can take up to 10 business days to reply, so please be patient. We will follow up with you as soon as we receive an update."
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:07 pm

$1,213.76
229,306 PTS
Payment Options
Use the
Is this the one way from Singapore to Los Angeles you mentioned? You could just transfer the points to Krisflyer and flying Singapore Air? I think is 55000 point (StarAlliance) or 70000 (Singapore)... cheaper than using UR Travel portal, but you won't get the miles on Delta though.

Or just transfer to UA and do the 90000 UR to UA for business class award?

Last edited by Need; Jan 28, 2019 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Is this the one way from Singapore to Los Angeles you mentioned? You could just transfer the points to Krisflyer and flying Singapore Air? I think is 55000 point (StarAlliance) or 70000 (Singapore)... cheaper than using UR Travel portal, but you won't get the miles on Delta though.
I have a cruise from Cairns to Singapore. I can use Choice Air by the cruise company use American, JetStar and Cathay for $862.00 LAX to CNS and SIN to LAX the best price but I don't like American FF plan.
I am a member of Delta not to happy with the point system LAX to CNS $600.00 using UR. SIN to LAX using EVA Star Alliance about $600.00. I did look at Singapore the basic economy was not available on March 22, 2019. I just found a lower fare on Kayak for $812.73. I will book them one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.