Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

In 2018 Chase changed the outsourced booking portal operator from Connexions to Expedia. Posts from January to mid-October 2018 have been archived to a separate thread. Those posts discussed the portal as operated by Connexions, -and- the transition process to Expedia.

There is another thread to discuss booking by transferring to airline of hotel programs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

Pay special attention to booking via Chase UR/Expedia with regard to rewards and benefits. Chase UR + Expedia is considered OTA (Online Travel Agency). Travelers purchase or pre-pay travel with the OTA and is subject to the T&C from the OTA. In general, travelers receive miles rewards on flights, but do not receive night credit on hotel stays. Also, in general, travelers lose the airline or hotel status and do not receive the associated benefits (free breakfast, room upgrade etc).

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

3.5) How to book cruises?
Chase outsources this to a travel agency specializing in cruises. (I believe they are available solely by telephone.) Agents there can book cruises for you using your URs for payments from initial deposit to final payment. It's also possible to transfer an existing cruise booking to that travel agency. That agency can then make payments (full or partial). However, to transfer a booking, there are some constraints to be aware of. A) The booking and deposit has to be made directly with the cruise line. If you use another agency, you're out of luck. B) The cruise lines limit the window when you can transfer a booking from their control to an agency's. It closes as early as 30 days after initial deposit up to final deposit due date (typically 75-120 prior to sail date) depending on the particular cruise line's rules (which are subject to change).

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve or JPMR card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

4.5) How do Refunds Work?
When cancelling a booking (and a refund is due), points will be added back to your UR balance and dollars will be refunded to the credit card account used.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2017, can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...14-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by mia
You may not need to call, read here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showwiki.php?t=2012100
Yep, thanks! I saw this earlier when I was looking through the forum. Though scary to just cancel via a form and just wait for a response. I would rather talk to someone, but not sure I am willing to be on hold for so long!
Old May 23, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: Delta (diamond), Hilton (diamond)
When rebooking goes horribly wrong

TL/DR: Rebooked in lower class of service without my express consent. What now?

Hello! I've skimmed the 46+ pages and couldn't see anything uniquely like my recent issue. Allow me to expand.

I got in on the Jan 2020 LAX-KUL on QR Qsuites for ~$2400 and amazingly, found the same fare on Chase UR. I booked with points+cash, got the PNR, selected seats, everything was great. Until the recent viral issues, of course. QR recently changed their rebooking policies to something VERY generous (see QR threads and salivating on blogs) so I figured I'd try my hand at changing my origin from LAX to ATL - perfectly legal and free under the QR policies.

2 calls to Chase/Expedia went nowhere: no knowledge of the updated QR rebooking policy. I tried chat - figured I could paste the URL to the QR rebooking policy (complete with instructions on how to change ticket details on GDS). No luck for the first few attempts, getting caught up on change fees and fare differences. Then, success, flights found, no fare difference, rebook? Yes!

Then I checked my PNR on the QR site to grab new seats. Rebooked from QR R-fare (business) to QR S-fare (economy). !@#%!#%. No mention of the cabin downgrade on the chat whatsoever! Cue endless calls and delays with Chase/Expedia. "Already been reticketed Mr. TYSDoc, can't change!" Finally talked to a supervisor who agreed Chase/Expedia should be making it right and they'd pony up and restore the original ticket at their cost. And since then, nothing.

Has anyone experienced this? What was your outcome? It seems *similar* to the schedule changes above but not quite. What recourse is there if Chase/Expedia don't follow through? Has anyone had success with going around Chase/Expedia directly to the airline to plead their case? Has anyone successfully transferred their booking from Chase/Expedia to the airline?
Old May 23, 2020, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The moral of the story above is that the use of UR points is very delicate and they are best used when the booking is simple, relatively close-in, and there will be no attempt by the customer to make any changes at all. There can be huge problems when URExpedia makes changes unilaterally but for the sake of the almighty, never think that you will be able make any within the published rules adjustments or changes without running into serious and frequently insurmountable problems.
Happy likes this.
Old May 23, 2020, 12:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by TYSDoc
Has anyone successfully transferred their booking from Chase/Expedia to the airline?
No, but I did book a fully-refundable ticket once and voila, I needed to change my plans and got it fully refunded.
Old May 27, 2020, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Originally Posted by TYSDoc
When rebooking goes horribly wrong

TL/DR: Rebooked in lower class of service without my express consent. What now?

Hello! I've skimmed the 46+ pages and couldn't see anything uniquely like my recent issue. Allow me to expand.

I got in on the Jan 2020 LAX-KUL on QR Qsuites for ~$2400 and amazingly, found the same fare on Chase UR. I booked with points+cash, got the PNR, selected seats, everything was great. Until the recent viral issues, of course. QR recently changed their rebooking policies to something VERY generous (see QR threads and salivating on blogs) so I figured I'd try my hand at changing my origin from LAX to ATL - perfectly legal and free under the QR policies.

2 calls to Chase/Expedia went nowhere: no knowledge of the updated QR rebooking policy. I tried chat - figured I could paste the URL to the QR rebooking policy (complete with instructions on how to change ticket details on GDS). No luck for the first few attempts, getting caught up on change fees and fare differences. Then, success, flights found, no fare difference, rebook? Yes!

Then I checked my PNR on the QR site to grab new seats. Rebooked from QR R-fare (business) to QR S-fare (economy). !@#%!#%. No mention of the cabin downgrade on the chat whatsoever! Cue endless calls and delays with Chase/Expedia. "Already been reticketed Mr. TYSDoc, can't change!" Finally talked to a supervisor who agreed Chase/Expedia should be making it right and they'd pony up and restore the original ticket at their cost. And since then, nothing.

Has anyone experienced this? What was your outcome? It seems *similar* to the schedule changes above but not quite. What recourse is there if Chase/Expedia don't follow through? Has anyone had success with going around Chase/Expedia directly to the airline to plead their case? Has anyone successfully transferred their booking from Chase/Expedia to the airline?
Sorry for the delayed response, just got around to checking this thread. I had a similar issue back in January when I booked a transatlantic trip in premium economy on Air Canada through Chase Travel. The airline made a schedule change that rendered a connection impossible to make. When I called Chase Travel to fix it (simply required switching me to an earlier flight for the first leg, of which there was one readily available on the AC website), I spent about 40 minutes on hold before they said everything was fixed. Unfortunately, I had already hung up when I got the email showing that they had downgraded me to basic economy for the entire journey. By the time I called back and got someone to look into it, the premium economy seats had already been sold (or at least were no longer available to Chase Travel). They ended up having to reroute me on different flights/connections to get the same class of service. I lodged a complaint with a supervisor, since this had taken over 2 hours of time on the phone in addition to completely changing my itinerary, but nothing ever came of it other than a canned "we're sorry" response from Chase.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Chase UR Points for Plane flight with Chase Sapphire Reserve Card

I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve Card. I just logged into my account and the Chase Ultimate Rewards travel site to check on pricing for some plane flights. For a $199 flight, it is showing the coast as 19,900 Chase UR points. I thought UR points were worth 1.5 cents each so the flight should cost around 13,000 points?

Also, can you book Southwest flight using Ultimate reward points?
Old Jun 8, 2020, 7:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by holocker
.... I thought UR points were worth 1.5 cents each so the flight should cost around 13,000 points?
Correct. Do you also hold any other card that earns UR points? Could you be inadvertently looking at that UR account?

You must book WN by phone:

Last edited by mia; Jun 8, 2020 at 7:36 pm
Old Jun 17, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: Delta (diamond), Hilton (diamond)
When rebooking goes horribly wrong part II
A quick update on this is warranted. I wanted to allow various complaints and escalations work through the system before posting.
- ticket was downgraded to economy without my knowledge. The chat agent admitted to the mistake in a later chat
- request for original ticket reinstatement denied. "We're happy with the resolution" !! But hey, at least I have $1600 in QR vouchers from the fare difference... which I could only use with Chase/Expedia
- numerous escalations to supervisors on the phone. They sound friendly and capable, but they're really not. Promised call backs. Guess what? No call backs.
- Chase/Expedia cancel the ticket in its entirety without my permission. I get a full refund of cash + UR points. But now I've got additional non-refundable travel plans to reconcile.

I can only say this: DO NOT! use your UR points with Chase Travel while Expedia hold the contract. Transfer them to the airline partners, or cash them out and walk away. The 1.5c per UR point is a poison pill.
Happy likes this.

Last edited by TYSDoc; Jun 17, 2020 at 8:24 pm Reason: added title
Old Jun 27, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, HH Diamond
Redeem UR points for RV rental?

Is this possible? Have searched and have not found any reports about this. If you have done this, please share details. Thanks.
Old Jun 28, 2020, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by budblab
Is this possible? Have searched and have not found any reports about this. If you have done this, please share details. Thanks.
Have you found the RV rental offered on UR site?

Anything NOT shows up on UR portal, except WN flight and Cruises, are NOT bookable with UR pts. This is the case since when Chase used Expedia to handle UR bookings. Not that Connexions can book RV but in the past Connexions can book flights MANUALLY if the flights not show up on UR portal. That ability is taken away since Expedia became the agent.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Bonvoy Reservation Through UR

I have done some research on Flyertalk and other sources but have not seen information specific to what I am seeing. I am looking to book a room in April 2021 for 7 nights in London at a Bonvoy property and am lifetime Gold. The UR Points/$ amounts are much better than the Bonvoy site. Here is what I am seeing as of today on UR and Bonvoy sites:

Marriott County Hall Executive Room (Access to M Club I believe regardless of status correct?) - UR: 183,085 pts/stay or $2,746/stay. Bonvoy - 465,000 pts/stay + 420 GBP or $4,277/stay. That is a difference of 281,915 points and $1,531.
Marriott Park Tower Knightbridge Executive Suite with Breakfast - UR: 284,361 pts/stay or $4,265/stay. Bonvoy - 801,000 pts/stay or $4,858/stay. That is a difference of 516,639 points and $1,868.

Am I missing something? If I book through UR, I understand I won't get night credits for the stay but does anyone have experience booking through UR and getting their Gold Benefits? It sure seems to me to be worth it to use UR as the savings are substantial. Just want to make sure I am not seeing this wrong since this would be my first time using UR points. Thanks.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 2:32 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
When you book with UR points you are booking through Expedia, and they are converting the points to money. What is the cost if you book at marriott.com with money rather than Bonvoy points?
jsn55 likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 3:31 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
The dollar costs under Bonvoy in my original post are the cheapest rates I could find on their website. I am a AAA member so the rates in my original note are the ones from Bovoy and are significantly more expensive than through UR.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 5:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Earlier this week I had success using UR to book a next-day flight. I booked Alaska Airlines, then a few hours after that I needed to switch to a later flight on Delta. I canceled the Alaska ticket, which was instantly refunded. I got 1.5 cents per point in redemption value and conserved cash. No complaints. I would say UR works pretty well for short-notice reservations. My two experiences with distant future bookings, one of which I needed to cancel, were equally successful. But none of these bookings had any complexity or vendor-initiated changes.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nsx
...I would say UR works pretty well for short-notice reservations...
My experience is the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.