Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

In 2018 Chase changed the outsourced booking portal operator from Connexions to Expedia. Posts from January to mid-October 2018 have been archived to a separate thread. Those posts discussed the portal as operated by Connexions, -and- the transition process to Expedia.

There is another thread to discuss booking by transferring to airline of hotel programs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

Pay special attention to booking via Chase UR/Expedia with regard to rewards and benefits. Chase UR + Expedia is considered OTA (Online Travel Agency). Travelers purchase or pre-pay travel with the OTA and is subject to the T&C from the OTA. In general, travelers receive miles rewards on flights, but do not receive night credit on hotel stays. Also, in general, travelers lose the airline or hotel status and do not receive the associated benefits (free breakfast, room upgrade etc).

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

3.5) How to book cruises?
Chase outsources this to a travel agency specializing in cruises. (I believe they are available solely by telephone.) Agents there can book cruises for you using your URs for payments from initial deposit to final payment. It's also possible to transfer an existing cruise booking to that travel agency. That agency can then make payments (full or partial). However, to transfer a booking, there are some constraints to be aware of. A) The booking and deposit has to be made directly with the cruise line. If you use another agency, you're out of luck. B) The cruise lines limit the window when you can transfer a booking from their control to an agency's. It closes as early as 30 days after initial deposit up to final deposit due date (typically 75-120 prior to sail date) depending on the particular cruise line's rules (which are subject to change).

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve or JPMR card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

4.5) How do Refunds Work?
When cancelling a booking (and a refund is due), points will be added back to your UR balance and dollars will be refunded to the credit card account used.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2017, can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...14-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Old Sep 1, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by coloradotraveler

SighseeMC, thank you so much for taking the time to explain this and give me your point of view . Another perk I thought I read about .... travel insurance . What is this all about or how does it work ? We rarely fly anywhere .

Also, since there are 4 of us , how does the priority pass access work ? Our home airport is DEN.

i got it for the travel insurance alone. The protection kicks in after just 6hrs of delay.

Ive used it to claim Uber back home and then to the airport, or to and from the hotel if in a connecting city, meals, toiletries, clothing if my bags are delayed etc.

and since I’m based in Chicago, at least 2 of my flights every year are delayed significantly requiring an overnight stay somewhere. So not counting the value of the other perks, and averaging $250 per delay requiring a hotel, I come out $350 ahead ($450 fee - 2($250) - $300 travel credit).
Old Sep 1, 2019, 3:02 pm

Or you can pay the $75 extra for your spouse as an authorized user on the Reserve card, that person then receives his or her own Priority Pass. Then you both get two additional people to access the lounges. You just have to determine if the extra $75 annually makes sense for you.
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
CUR is the airport code for Curacao. Would recommend changing the title and post as it is confusing. It took me 2 reads to realise you were referring to Chase Ultimate Rewards.

I also am unclear what you are trying to do. So DEN to LIH is 3090 USD... and the points are from where? And how does BA factor into this?
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
CUR is the airport code for Curacao. Would recommend changing the title and post as it is confusing. It took me 2 reads to realise you were referring to Chase Ultimate Rewards.

I also am unclear what you are trying to do. So DEN to LIH is 3090 USD... and the points are from where? And how does BA factor into this?
Oops sorry . I probably just assumed it stood for Chase Ultimate Rewards . I’m searching for flights from DEN to LIH. I may have mixed up British and Air France . But on either website , I couldn’t find the AA flights or Delta flights .
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold

Oops sorry . I probably just assumed it stood for Chase Ultimate Rewards . I’m searching for flights from DEN to LIH. I may have mixed up British and Air France . But on either website , I couldn’t find the AA flights or Delta flights .
What are the exact dates of the flights you are referring to? If you just want to use Chase UR points through the Chase travel portal, there's no need to transfer anything anywhere.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
OP you should familiarize yourself with Chase UR redemptions via their portal vs via transferring to airline partners. They are very different.
bse118 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
What are the exact dates of the flights you are referring to? If you just want to use Chase UR points through the Chase travel portal, there's no need to transfer anything anywhere.
Thanks but I’m aware of that . I’m doing the comparison of buying through Chase and comparing to the points required through Chase’s travel partners . I received some very good advice on another forum to take the total cost Chase is asking for flights I like and dividing it by the points an airline is asking to find the better value .

Originally Posted by no1cub17
OP you should familiarize yourself with Chase UR redemptions via their portal vs via transferring to airline partners. They are very different.
Yep that’s what I’m doing. Trying to get educated on how it works when transferring to a partner airline such as Air France or British Airways . My question was if I find flights on an airline, are the points it is requiring the exact amount I would transfer from Chase ? For instance , if Delta flights of my choice cost 202,000 points for 4 RT tickets, is that how many Chase points I’ll need to transfer to Air France ? I’m hoping somebody can confirm this .

Originally Posted by bse118
OP has also posted a similar question in the BA forum: Not finding DEN?
I have learned that just because I find some flights on an airline that I like , for instance flights on AA that work with our schedule , those flights might not be available or shown on British Airways if they aren’t direct flights or if they are a certain saver award . But it was strange that BA was saying typing in DEN was the issue .

Last edited by JY1024; Sep 1, 2019 at 7:23 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts - please use multi-quote feature
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
We can't evaluate what kinds of awards you're looking at unless you tell us what dates/flights they are and where you're seeing them. If you're finding award availability for your preferred AA flights on ba.com, then you would need to transfer over however many points ba.com tells you to, and then simply book on ba.com. But if you want the community's help, you gotta specify the flights so we can help unscramble the omelet of your first post.
DoB840 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
We can't evaluate what kinds of awards you're looking at unless you tell us what dates/flights they are and where you're seeing them. If you're finding award availability for your preferred AA flights on ba.com, then you would need to transfer over however many points ba.com tells you to, and then simply book on ba.com. But if you want the community's help, you gotta specify the flights so we can help unscramble the omelet of your first post.
I am looking at 4 RT flights from DEN to LIH leaving at 8:01 am on July 13 and returning July 20 departing LIH at 11:00 pm. Thanks in advance . I am glad to know that “if” these flights show up on British Airways, the exact miles American Airlines is charging is exactly how many I would have to transfer to BA .
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

I am looking at 4 RT flights from DEN to LIH leaving at 8:01 am on July 13 and returning July 20 departing LIH at 11:00 pm. Thanks in advance . I am glad to know that “if” these flights show up on British Airways, the exact miles American Airlines is charging is exactly how many I would have to transfer to BA .
When you redeem one airline's points/miles for travel on a partner carrier, you pay the first airline's redemption rates, not the rates of the airline on which you actually fly.

BA Avios can only redeemed for "MileSAAver" award seats that you find on aa.com; Avios cannot be redeemed for "AAnytime" seats on AA. And connections are not free with BA Avios; BA charges separately for each flight flown.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta PM
You're in DEN, and you're going to Hawaii....is this a route you can do with frequent flier miles from United? Or with points on Southwest? Denver should have decent connectivity on both of those airlines, and you can transfer to those programs from Chase UR (and beef up your balance in that program if you get a bonus on the Sapphire Preferred or Reserve).
SightseeMC likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:33 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, coloradotraveler!

Looks like a fun trip you’re trying to line up. Unfortunately, it appears that you’re conflating several of the nuances of award redemptions and transferring points from Chase UR. A few quick things...

[moderator hat on]
- A general guideline is that threads on FT should live based on the “currency” you’re using. As others have intimated, if you’re planning on using BA “currency,” then the number of miles needed for AA redemptions is not relevant.
- As your query here is really not about redeeming AA miles, but more about getting the most value and flexibility out of your UR points, I’m going to move this over to Chase forum for the experts there to chime in.

Best of luck!

JY1024, AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Iberia is also a Chase UR transfer partner. If you can find MileSAAver seats on AA metal (not AS metal which can also show up on an aa.com award search) for a routing with a roundtrip mileage of under 8,000 flown miles, Iberia would charge just 42,000 Iberia Plus Avios for those seats.

Note, however, that there have been recent problems with booking AA award flights at Iberia's website, and all Iberia redemptions for AA flights are non-changeable/non-refundable. Whether it's worth it to you in order to save 30,000 UR points is something only you can decide.

Also, if you can find low-tier award seats for the roundtrip on UA flights, your best UR transfer option would probably be Singapore Airlines' KrisFlyer program, which charges just 35,000 miles for a Mainland-Hawaii roundtrip on UA.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
Welcome to FlyerTalk, coloradotraveler!

Looks like a fun trip you’re trying to line up. Unfortunately, it appears that you’re conflating several of the nuances of award redemptions and transferring points from Chase UR. A few quick things...

[moderator hat on]
- A general guideline is that threads on FT should live based on the “currency” you’re using. As others have intimated, if you’re planning on using BA “currency,” then the number of miles needed for AA redemptions is not relevant.
- As your query here is really not about redeeming AA miles, but more about getting the most value and flexibility out of your UR points, I’m going to move this over to Chase forum for the experts there to chime in.

Best of luck!

JY1024, AAdvantage forum co-moderator
Originally Posted by guv1976
When you redeem one airline's points/miles for travel on a partner carrier, you pay the first airline's redemption rates, not the rates of the airline on which you actually fly.

BA Avios can only redeemed for "MileSAAver" award seats that you find on aa.com; Avios cannot be redeemed for "AAnytime" seats on AA. And connections are not free with BA Avios; BA charges separately for each flight flown.
Thank you guv1976! I have heard and read about Krisflyer but had some trouble figuring out their website today . Wonder if it’s best to call them instead ? I did see their award chart mentioning the 35k RT. I’m basically just doing my research to see if I’ll end up better off booking through Chase in the long run or will find a better deal transferring . Another member from a different thread gave me a good mathematical formula to use in figuring out how to get the most of our Chase points.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I’m doing my research on 4 RT flights from DEN to LIH next summer to compare how Chase travel compares to their airline partners. I found some flights on American Airlines worth 198,000 pts and the Chase cost is $3090.40 for the exact flights. The cpp then is 1.5. So if I decided to book these flights, would I transfer approximately 198,000 points from CUR to BritishAirways? And is 198,000 points how many Chase points I would need to buy these AA flights? I’m still new at this. Thanks!
HI,
I've merged your posts into the appropriate thread. Please read the wikipost at the top of the page and then come back with more questions.

We have a lot of helpful and intelligent members. Good luck on your searches.

Last edited by philemer; Sep 1, 2019 at 8:22 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.