Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

In 2018 Chase changed the outsourced booking portal operator from Connexions to Expedia. Posts from January to mid-October 2018 have been archived to a separate thread. Those posts discussed the portal as operated by Connexions, -and- the transition process to Expedia.

There is another thread to discuss booking by transferring to airline of hotel programs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

Pay special attention to booking via Chase UR/Expedia with regard to rewards and benefits. Chase UR + Expedia is considered OTA (Online Travel Agency). Travelers purchase or pre-pay travel with the OTA and is subject to the T&C from the OTA. In general, travelers receive miles rewards on flights, but do not receive night credit on hotel stays. Also, in general, travelers lose the airline or hotel status and do not receive the associated benefits (free breakfast, room upgrade etc).

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

3.5) How to book cruises?
Chase outsources this to a travel agency specializing in cruises. (I believe they are available solely by telephone.) Agents there can book cruises for you using your URs for payments from initial deposit to final payment. It's also possible to transfer an existing cruise booking to that travel agency. That agency can then make payments (full or partial). However, to transfer a booking, there are some constraints to be aware of. A) The booking and deposit has to be made directly with the cruise line. If you use another agency, you're out of luck. B) The cruise lines limit the window when you can transfer a booking from their control to an agency's. It closes as early as 30 days after initial deposit up to final deposit due date (typically 75-120 prior to sail date) depending on the particular cruise line's rules (which are subject to change).

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve or JPMR card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

4.5) How do Refunds Work?
When cancelling a booking (and a refund is due), points will be added back to your UR balance and dollars will be refunded to the credit card account used.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2017, can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...14-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Old Jun 11, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Originally Posted by philemer
Don't think there is a "break even". It's what works best for you. Do the math. I'd use UA miles and save UR for a higher value, like car rentals or Hyatt stays.
OK, but do I earn miles for using the UR points instead of the UA award? Are they like spending cash?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
OK, but do I earn miles for using the UR points instead of the UA award? Are they like spending cash?
Sure. Kayak books flts with a credit card & you earn miles.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:11 am

Convert a Paid Reservation to Points

I currently do not have enough Ultimate Rewards points for a hotel stay. I'm concerned the price will go up or it won't be available when I have enough points.

If I book the stay now through the UR portal using cash, can I then convert that reservation later to pay with points? If so, how would I do this?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by milemonkey
I currently do not have enough Ultimate Rewards points for a hotel stay. I'm concerned the price will go up or it won't be available when I have enough points.

If I book the stay now through the UR portal using cash, can I then convert that reservation later to pay with points? If so, how would I do this?
You could book with cash and then redeem your UR points as a statement credit to pay for the amount of the cash booking. You'd get $.01 per point by doing that.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:12 pm

Book with cash, or cash/points combo. Make sure to book refundable rate. Check rate again when you have enough points. If same/lower, cancel and rebook.

I have done this plenty of times. As long as you book a refundable rate, no worries.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:43 pm

In order to pay as a statement credit, do I have to purchase through the UR portal?
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
In order to pay as a statement credit, do I have to purchase through the UR portal?
No. Statement credit is basically a cash redemption, which you can claim even with a zero balance on the card balance.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 10:50 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Nope.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:45 pm

Unforeseen Event on Booked Delta with Chase Pts via Chase Portal

Hi All,

New to this experience and I really need your help! We booked RT international flights on Delta through the Chase portal for a trip in the coming months but due to an unforeseen event, we will likely have to cancel this trip. Question is, will I be able to get some type of refunds of my Chase pts? If not, is there an option for me to change the flight to somewhere else a future time or something of the likes so I don't have to come to a total lost? Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!!
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:36 pm

Most likely you can cancel it and can re-book the value of tickets with Delta minus change fees in the future. Be sure to note when the travel credit expires.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 12:23 am

Contact Delta first and see if they'd be willing to cancel the itinerary without penalty. I don't know your precise circumstances, but Delta has an official exception policy if you have a terminally ill family member. They've also been known to make exceptions on a case-by-case basis, but no guarantees.

If you can't make headway there, check your Chase card's benefits to see if there's Trip Cancellation coverage. For example, the Sapphire Reserve benefits terms can be found here, but you'll need to find the exact terms for your card. If your Chase card does have such a policy the terms will also specify whether trips paid for with points are covered and what cash reimbursement rate you should expect for each point spent. Contact the benefit administrator if you want to pursue a claim through this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:37 am

Booking multi-cabin ticket using Chase UR points

I'm trying to book a multi-cabin itinerary (departing flight in Business, returning flight in Economy) using Chase UR points through their travel portal. This cannot be done online, and last time I called they didn't seem to be able to book any other options than what's listed on the website.

I was wondering if there are any tricks to make this happen? One idea I've had is to book a round trip in business class, then call in within 24hrs of booking, and ask them if they could change/downgrade the return leg, hoping that they have more options when changing an existing ticket rather than when booking a new ticket. Has anybody ever tried this, or managed to get a multi-cabin itinerary booked using Chase points in a different way (through their travel portal)?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:10 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tomst
....last time I called ....
Who was operating the portal at the time, Connexions or Expedia?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomst
I'm trying to book a multi-cabin itinerary (departing flight in Business, returning flight in Economy) using Chase UR points through their travel portal. This cannot be done online, and last time I called they didn't seem to be able to book any other options than what's listed on the website.

I was wondering if there are any tricks to make this happen? One idea I've had is to book a round trip in business class, then call in within 24hrs of booking, and ask them if they could change/downgrade the return leg, hoping that they have more options when changing an existing ticket rather than when booking a new ticket. Has anybody ever tried this, or managed to get a multi-cabin itinerary booked using Chase points in a different way (through their travel portal)?
You seriously need to read this thread on how troublesome it is when people have the NEED to be rebooked because their flights were either canceled or had schedule changes that no longer work. Those are actual need to change their bookings - see for yourself on how difficult it could be, for very legitimate situations. Here you are, trying to be creative for whatever you want to accomplish... Good Luck.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Happy
You seriously need to read this thread on how troublesome it is when people have the NEED to be rebooked because their flights were either canceled or had schedule changes that no longer work. Those are actual need to change their bookings - see for yourself on how difficult it could be, for very legitimate situations. Here you are, trying to be creative for whatever you want to accomplish... Good Luck.
It's too bad but that what happens when things are out sourced. In the past I had to adjust a stay with no issues at all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.