Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 747FC
This thread covers how to use Ultimate Reward points for booking all types of travel via the Ultimate Rewards portal.

In 2018 Chase changed the outsourced booking portal operator from Connexions to Expedia. Posts from January to mid-October 2018 have been archived to a separate thread. Those posts discussed the portal as operated by Connexions, -and- the transition process to Expedia.

There is another thread to discuss booking by transferring to airline of hotel programs: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

Pay special attention to booking via Chase UR/Expedia with regard to rewards and benefits. Chase UR + Expedia is considered OTA (Online Travel Agency). Travelers purchase or pre-pay travel with the OTA and is subject to the T&C from the OTA. In general, travelers receive miles rewards on flights, but do not receive night credit on hotel stays. Also, in general, travelers lose the airline or hotel status and do not receive the associated benefits (free breakfast, room upgrade etc).

1) How do I book a ticket? Choose my airfare class?
Login to ultimaterewards.com
Click: Use points > Explore and Book Travel
Click the button that defaults to [1 Traveler, All]
Change "Class" (the first entry in the pull-down) from All to Business
Click: Close

2) How far in advance can I book?
In mid-November 2017 it was reported that airline reservations are available only 270 days in advance. Read HERE.

3) How do I book hotels?
Follow the steps above to log on. There are standard looking search engines offered for airfare, hotel, etc at that point.

3.5) How to book cruises?
Chase outsources this to a travel agency specializing in cruises. (I believe they are available solely by telephone.) Agents there can book cruises for you using your URs for payments from initial deposit to final payment. It's also possible to transfer an existing cruise booking to that travel agency. That agency can then make payments (full or partial). However, to transfer a booking, there are some constraints to be aware of. A) The booking and deposit has to be made directly with the cruise line. If you use another agency, you're out of luck. B) The cruise lines limit the window when you can transfer a booking from their control to an agency's. It closes as early as 30 days after initial deposit up to final deposit due date (typically 75-120 prior to sail date) depending on the particular cruise line's rules (which are subject to change).

4) How do I get the better redemption rate offered on some Chase cards?
The upper left corner of the UR page will show you which card you are logged in with. If you hold a Chase Sapphire Reserve or JPMR card, you will be shown a better price on points bookings, as a 1.5 redemption rate is offered as one of the benefits of this card. If you log in to the UR portal from a different UR card, such as the Ink, you will not be offered this rate.

4.5) How do Refunds Work?
When cancelling a booking (and a refund is due), points will be added back to your UR balance and dollars will be refunded to the credit card account used.

5) Where else can I find information?

This thread is a consolidated resource which covers topics including:

Fare buckets, here
Price differences between open market air fares and UR bookings, here
Selecting seat classes
Using cash and points to pay for tickets

and more.

The previous discussion, through 2017, can be found here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...14-2017-a.html
Print Wikipost

Booking Flights, Rooms, Cars, Cruises, Activities through Chase/Expedia portal.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Disappointed with availabilty of Alaska properties for 2019

I'm very disappointed with the lack of hotels/B&Bs/Logdes, etc, that Expedia is making available in the cities & towns I'm searching for in AK next summer. I see a couple places available, per town, and a whole slew of "unavailable" properties. Is this true in the areas you are searching?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 6:48 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
'... Expedia is making available ...
Are you seeing greater availability on expedia.com?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Are you seeing greater availability on expedia.com?
Yes, tons more. I hope Expedia figures out the issue or they won't be making a lot of hotel rez. for Chase customers. I've only looked at a few cities in AK so not sure how wide spread this is.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:40 am
mia

....hope Expedia figures out the issue .....
Maybe it's not a technical issue. Perhaps Expedia obtained the Chase contract by agreeing to accept a discounted reimbursement rate from Chase, in which case they may not list lodging options where they have a lower gross profit -or- where they have an expectation of selling their full inventory through a more profitable channel (such as expedia.com).
RNE likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Maybe it's not a technical issue. Perhaps Expedia obtained the Chase contract by agreeing to accept a discounted reimbursement rate from Chase, in which case they may not list lodging options where they have a lower gross profit -or- where they have an expectation of selling their full inventory through a more profitable channel (such as expedia.com).
Could be. I doubt we'll ever know for sure.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:58 pm

Are you unable at add Hotel Reward programs to the UR Travel portal anymore? I can't seem to find a way add my SPG/Marriott number in the UR Travel portal
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lax01
Are you unable at add Hotel Reward programs to the UR Travel portal anymore? I can't seem to find a way add my SPG/Marriott number in the UR Travel portal
You could call the hotel after the rez has been made and you'll probably get elite benefits at the hotel but no stay credits. Just what I've noticed with Hilton.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:09 am

You could call the hotel after the rez has been made and you'll probably get elite benefits at the hotel but no stay credits. Just what I've noticed with Hilton.
Ah got it - Thanks...

Just read through the thread about not getting a confirmed reservation until 24 hour before check-in...is this true even if you are pre-paying? This is specifically a Marriott/SPG property in Hong Kong - so don't exactly want to risk not getting a hotel room for some reason

Thanks again
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah got it - Thanks...

Just read through the thread about not getting a confirmed reservation until 24 hour before check-in...is this true even if you are pre-paying? This is specifically a Marriott/SPG property in Hong Kong - so don't exactly want to risk not getting a hotel room for some reason

Thanks again
Make the rez. with UR and then wait about 2 days and call call hotel & confirm. It's not a perfect system and crap happens.
lax01 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:33 am
mia

....is this true even if you are pre-paying? ...
Yes, you are paying Expedia, not the hotel. Expedia (and Priceline) own blocks of room nights. They will decide nearer to the time how fulfill your stay, and they will pay the hotel in accordance with their contract.
lax01 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, you are paying Expedia, not the hotel. Expedia (and Priceline) own blocks of room nights. They will decide nearer to the time how fulfill your stay, and they will pay the hotel in accordance with their contract.
Got it...thanks
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm very disappointed with the lack of hotels/B&Bs/Logdes, etc, that Expedia is making available in the cities & towns I'm searching for in AK next summer. I see a couple places available, per town, and a whole slew of "unavailable" properties. Is this true in the areas you are searching?
Searched Lahaina, Maui area and it's the same issue. Less than 50 rooms/condos show availability out of over 1800. I haven't tried calling but I'm hoping things improve as they finish integrating their system. Otherwise they'll be getting a lot of phone calls.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:22 am

International car rental no longer available?

this is first time try to book a travel since sapphire reserve switched to Expedia, can't get any car rental booked at BKK airport, nor Paris, Munich , called UR customer service, they tell me book through Expedia, LOL!!!
Old Nov 6, 2018, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZeroMile
this is first time try to book a travel since sapphire reserve switched to Expedia, can't get any car rental booked at BKK airport, nor Paris, Munich , called UR customer service, they tell me book through Expedia, LOL!!!
Not surprised. Switch to Expedia doesn't look like a good deal for us.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:50 am
mia

Originally Posted by ZeroMile
t....called UR customer service, they tell me book through Expedia,
Are they allowing you to redeem points to offset the Expedia charge at the same rate as if you had booked through the Chase portal?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.