Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Letter from Chase about closing United credit card (inactivity), what should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Letter from Chase about closing United credit card (inactivity), what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

A few years ago, I opened a Chase credit card to get reward miles on United. Then we started using Southwest so I opened another chase account to get Southwest miles.

Then I received a letter today saying from Chase saying they are close to my United card within 60 days because I haven't been using it. Also, using the card won't help either as they will still close the account.

I am fine with them closing the account but wondering if this will hard my credit score in a significant way. Is there anything I can do there to minimize that?

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by atomarchio
A few years ago, I opened a Chase credit card to get reward miles on United. Then we started using Southwest so I opened another chase account to get Southwest miles.

Then I received a letter today saying from Chase saying they are close to my United card within 60 days because I haven't been using it. Also, using the card won't help either as they will still close the account.

I am fine with them closing the account but wondering if this will hard my credit score in a significant way. Is there anything I can do there to minimize that?

If you want to keep the account open, see if you can convert the card into a fee-free card like the Freedom Unlimited, and then use it once every six months.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 5:48 pm

Another option to minimize the effect on your credit score is to request them to transfer the credit line from the United Card to the Soiuthwest Card before closing the United.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I am fine with them closing the account but wondering if this will hard my credit score in a significant way.
The only reason it would substantially impact credit score is if loss of the unused credit limit would substantially increase your credit utilization (percentage of available credit you're using), particularly if it takes utilization over 30%.

If that is a problem, you can counter it by transferring the credit to another card (as suggested above), getting a new card with a similar credit limit, or paying down your balances to reduce utilization.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I am fine with them closing the account but wondering if this will hard my credit score in a significant way.
No.

Is there anything I can do there to minimize that?
No.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass

So how long has it been since you have used it?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 1:15 am
Etp

Did your United card have an annual fee?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that when I switched from the United to Southwest card, I did call chase and asked them to remove the annual fee for that card. So I have already done that.

It's probably been 18 months or longer since I've used the card. The letter states using the card now will not keep it open.

These are the only two credit cards I own so this would take me down a single credit card. I don't necessarily mind that but want to avoid the hit on my credit.

The United has 20K limit and the southwest has 30K. These cards both have a zero balance and I have no debt at all.

Does it make sense to call chase and have the 20K limited on the United card moved to the southwest card?
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:29 am

You're a classic definition of a person that worries too much (prolly from reading here and elsewhere) when they shouldn't.

People worry about their credit and the hits they take when they're actively applying for cards. You aren't.

They make concerted decisions which cards to close and which to apply/open. You haven't opened/closed in a while, and only reacting because your ccard contacted you.

You have no problem getting 20K and 30K limits, when you want credit. so I wouldn't worry about how your credit looks - it looks just fine.

Moreover, you don't need additional credit now, so don't worry about how your credit looks now, or whatever hit it might take now.

You can move the credit over or not, but at the end of the day it won't matter much for you. Your credit is/will be fine either way.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The United has 20K limit and the southwest has 30K. These cards both have a zero balance and I have no debt at all.
Closing the United card will have no meaningful impact on your credit score. Don't worry about it.

There are lots of great card offers out there if you're interested in getting a new card and earning sign up bonuses.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 8:52 am
Original Poster

I am going to move the credit limit from my United to Southwest card.

It's good to know that closing the United card will not hurt my credit score in a significant way.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
I forgot to mention that when I switched from the United to Southwest card, I did call chase and asked them to remove the annual fee for that card. So I have already done that.

It's probably been 18 months or longer since I've used the card. The letter states using the card now will not keep it open.

These are the only two credit cards I own so this would take me down a single credit card. I don't necessarily mind that but want to avoid the hit on my credit.

Does it make sense to call chase and have the 20K limited on the United card moved to the southwest card?
I know people with one credit card and one installment account who stay in the 800s. Having one card won’t hurt you. Having a backup card in case one gets declined at a point of sale is not a bad idea. My backup card would not be from the same bank though. You seem to not be into the churning game for points - which is probably making heads explode on FT, so a backup card from a local credit union would be a smart option. If you’re eligible for NFCU they have a couple really good options for earning points quickly.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Etp

Did your United card have an annual fee?
I was wondering the same thing myself. If it has an annual fee, Chase has no incentive to close it down as they are probably not doling out bennies in excess of what the annual fee would cost the OP. However, that all changes if it is a fee-free card.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

My united card did not have a fee as I was not going to pay the $99 for both cards. I was surprised to get the letter from chase saying they are closing my united card even if start using the card. You would think the letter which would've had me using the card at least a few times would benefit them.

They were easy to deal with on the phone and happy to move the united credit line to the southwest card.

if my score does decrease by doing this, I will post that here so others are aware.
Old Mar 25, 2018, 8:09 am

if my score does decrease by doing this, I will post that here so others are aware.
The fact that you will only have one remaining credit card open after Chase closes the United card will impact your score. I don't think significant would be the right word, but it will certainly be measurable. Since this was your oldest open card, your age of accounts might also take a small hit. If the United card isn't much older than your Southwest card, then this is a non-issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.