Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 2nd Quarter Freedom Bonus Categories: Groceries, PayPal , Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
5% cash back on purchases up to $1500 during the 2nd quarter
Must activate the bonus online

Bonus categories:
  1. Paypal - Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with PayPal for purchases or sending money.
  2. Chase Pay - Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with your Chase Pay mobile wallet during check out.
  3. Grocery Stores (not including Walmart® and Target® purchases).
Print Wikipost

2018 2nd Quarter Freedom Bonus Categories: Groceries, PayPal , Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:54 pm

Has anyone see q3 categories?
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by halamadrid
One easy way is using Android Pay or Apple Pay at the Grocery store. If you have it set as your default card you don't even have to worry about selecting the right card as you just place the phone by the terminal and the right card is picked for you.

One downside to your strategy this quarter (which is understandable BTW) is that PayPal was included, so if for whatever reason you were buying something online later in the quarter at a store that is not in any category you miss out on the opportunity to get 5% back on a purchase you would otherwise never get that much back.
Well, I would if Safeway installed NFC terminals in their stores. Secondly, I don't use one card for everything. My default card is Freedom Unlimited for the 1.5%, so I would still have to remember to swap it out or whatever card earns the most for what I am buying.

I don't see the second part as downside. Even if you organically spend $1500 on groceries in a quarter, you would still miss out on any extra Paypal spend. Maxing out is all that matters, and then move the spend over to another card with better returns than 1%.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Explorer789
Well, I would if Safeway installed NFC terminals in their stores.
Safeway supports NFC, actually. About the only major nationwide grocery company that doesn't at this point is Kroger--and I suspect it's for a lot of the same reasons as Walmart.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Safeway supports NFC, actually. About the only major nationwide grocery company that doesn't at this point is Kroger--and I suspect it's for a lot of the same reasons as Walmart.
i have not seen NFC at any of my local Safeway.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by briang191
Look for the four tiny circles at the top of the screen (the far left one of which should be green). Their software doesn't provide any indication of it otherwise.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by tmiw
Look for the four tiny circles at the top of the screen (the far left one of which should be green). Their software doesn't provide any indication of it otherwise.
thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to look on my next trip.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Explorer789
Well, I would if Safeway installed NFC terminals in their stores. Secondly, I don't use one card for everything. My default card is Freedom Unlimited for the 1.5%, so I would still have to remember to swap it out or whatever card earns the most for what I am buying.

I don't see the second part as downside. Even if you organically spend $1500 on groceries in a quarter, you would still miss out on any extra Paypal spend. Maxing out is all that matters, and then move the spend over to another card with better returns than 1%.
Safeways around me do take Android Pay, which is why I suggested it. I've actually maxed out on two Freedom cards through organic spend at Safeway and PayPal. I front-loaded spend on gifts for stores where I normally don't get more than the 1.5 UR points, but that do take PayPal. I actually now regret using my Freedoms at Safeway since I could've just used my Discover for groceries this quarter. Not as valuable as 5% UR points back, but 5% cash back is not bad (don't spend a whole lot in groceries).

Here's hoping PayPal comes back in subsequent quarters...
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:40 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Mine doesn't support it either (and the employees are clueless as to what it even means.) Apple Pay doesn't work and the guy in front of me yesterday couldn't get Samsung Pay to work. Very hit or miss since I keep reading that Safeway has "rolled out" NFC at all of its stores beginning last October.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:24 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Has anyone see q3 categories?
Expect them to be announced on or about June 14, based on recent trends. Registration will start June 15 so they will definitely be announced by then. Based on past years Q3 will almost certainly be primarily restaurants, and might possibly include something else.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: MileagePlus,AAdvantage,Skymiles
Any DP on whether a Tesla Modes 3 deposit thru PayPay will code in the 5% bonus category...after a while one should be able to cancel and get they money back and keep the points ?
Old Jun 7, 2018, 11:19 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by ordsky
Any DP on whether a Tesla Modes 3 deposit thru PayPay will code in the 5% bonus category...after a while one should be able to cancel and get they money back and keep the points ?
Well, for that matter, I have used Paypal a few times this quarter to buy clothes & shoes on various websites and have returned some of them (already, during this quarter) because they didn't fit, and the returns showed up as Paypal on my Chase account but only 1 point was deducted, not 5.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Does activation of the Q3 bonus categories cancel the Q2 bonus activation? (You can tell that I'm still new at this.)

By the way, last quarter, I forgot to activate the bonus categories. When I logged into my account a few days into the quarter and saw purchases in the bonus categories were posting at 1X rather than 5X, I smacked my forehead and activated. But the reason I mention it is that some of the purchases made before I activated the bonus categories changed from 1X to 5X. Thank you, Chase.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by serpens
Does activation of the Q3 bonus categories cancel the Q2 bonus activation? (You can tell that I'm still new at this.)
No.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 3:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Thanks, Steve in Olympia.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 7:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Discission of next quarter's categories moved into separate thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ategories.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.