Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 2nd Quarter Freedom Bonus Categories: Groceries, PayPal , Chase Pay

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 2, 2018, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
5% cash back on purchases up to $1500 during the 2nd quarter
Must activate the bonus online

Bonus categories:
  1. Paypal - Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with PayPal for purchases or sending money.
  2. Chase Pay - Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with your Chase Pay mobile wallet during check out.
  3. Grocery Stores (not including Walmart® and Target® purchases).
Print Wikipost

2018 2nd Quarter Freedom Bonus Categories: Groceries, PayPal , Chase Pay

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2018, 12:28 am
Original Poster

According to The Points Guy

Even though Chase has yet to officially announce the 5x bonus categories on its Chase Freedom credit card for the remaining quarters of 2018, the bank’s phone agents appear to already have the information in hand. Reports have emerged that the categories are set for April, May and June, and that customer service reps are sharing the details with customers who call and inquire.

A call from the TPG staff to Chase’s front line reps confirmed this and was consistent with other reports, so even though we likely won’t get official word from the bank until early next week, we’re confident in sharing that the second quarter categories for 2018 will be:

Groceries
PayPal
Chase Pay
Chase Pay Merchants include:

Walmart (Online only)

Best Buy (Chase pay app)

&pizza (Chase pay app)

Potbelly (Chase pay app)

Several others.

Last edited by philemer; Mar 11, 2018 at 8:17 am
Old Mar 11, 2018, 7:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by fr3qu3ntfly3r
Chase Pay Merchants include:

Listed here:

https://www.chase.com/digital/digita...chant-partners
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:33 pm

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
I can hit this one on groceries alone. Glad Chase has made the first two quarters so easy to hit.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I can hit this one on groceries alone. Glad Chase has made the first two quarters so easy to hit.
It's not official since chase hasn't updated the bonus categories website yet. However, multiple sites are mentioning those categories for quarter two.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
I do not MS or want to deal with GCs anymore, very disappointing that Chase keeps copying Discover each quarter with few exceptions for the major category. Chase pay is useless to me, PayPal has some use.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:46 am

A bit disappointed in these categories for this quarter because of the fact that we will be on a vacation at some point during this quarter so something like restaurants would have been perfect. But I can get gc's at the grocery stores as well as gc's from Wal-Mart.com So definitely will max this quarter out...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by fr3qu3ntfly3r
It's not official since chase hasn't updated the bonus categories website yet. However, multiple sites are mentioning those categories for quarter two.
Actually, they have, at least for groceries. The 'coming soon' graphic on the Freedom calendar is named cal_icon_groceries.png. Unfortunately, no clues for the next two categories.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by pdxer
Actually, they have, at least for groceries. The 'coming soon' graphic on the Freedom calendar is named cal_icon_groceries.png. Unfortunately, no clues for the next two categories.
Categories confirmed in press release:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...New-Category-5
Old Mar 13, 2018, 10:56 am
mia

PayPal - which can be used online, on mobile or in-app across more than 18 million large, mid-sized and small businesses around the world
I do not have a PayPal account, but many small online merchants use PayPal as their payment processor. I simply enter my card details and decline the annoying opportunity to create an account. Would we expect that type of transaction to qualify for the bonus?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
I do not have a PayPal account, but many small online merchants use PayPal as their payment processor. I simply enter my card details and decline the annoying opportunity to create an account. Would we expect that type of transaction to qualify for the bonus?
I had not even considered that it would not qualify for the bonus; I just assumed it would. Now you have me worried.

Please, if anyone knows, speak up.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:09 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
I'm a big fan of the Paypal option -- I use it fairly frequently to pay for purchases at smaller online stores ... mainly because I am too lazy to type in my address and credit card number. (I feel a little bad for some small merchants because as I understand it, Paypal charges outrageous merchant fees, well above what Amex or any other credit card company would charge ... but oh well. Perhaps Paypal is sharing some of that bounty with Chase this quarter to make this promotion possible.)

Keep in mind -- many bigger clothing/shoes/accessories/etc. retailers and department stores are Shop Through Chase partners *and* accept Paypal payments. There are some pretty nice rates of return possible.

It also seems like Chase is trying to be crafty about getting people to change their default cards for recurring bills to Freedom, and hoping that people won't bother to change it back to something else afterwards. This quarter, there was an incentive to change your phone and cable bill, as well as your Netflix bill, to your Freedom card, and I'm sure many people won't bother to change it back even though it will only earn 1% going forward. Similar with making Freedom your default Apple/Android Pay card, and now your default Paypal card.

@mia -- I suspect using PayPal without setting up an account will work the same and qualify for bonus points either way.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
When you do, does the payee come across as "paypal -- name of merchant" or just "name of merchant"? Only if the former (which is how "true" PayPal purchases come cross) would I guess you might get a bonus, certainly not if the latter and thus there's nothing on your statement that says "paypal" about the purchase.

I have a PayPal account simply because I was buying stuff regularly on ebay years ago. Back then, it was the only way to pay on ebay with a credit card (and I've been wanting to earn miles/points with credit cards for getting close to two decades now). And back then, eBay was the easiest place to find certain used stuff (especially stuff "out of print" or otherwise no longer available new). Nowadays Amazon has much more of that than they did a decade ago, so I use eBay much more rarely.

Also, though I don't have any Citi AT&T Access card yet, per the wiki in the Citi Forum AT&T Access More card thread, it says that some online stores don't earn 2x/3x if you pay directly but do if you pay via PayPal. So that's another reason to use PayPal, if you have one of those cards and want to shop at one of those stores.

Last edited by sdsearch; Mar 13, 2018 at 2:18 pm
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
Also, Shell gas stations now accept Chase Pay inside (and some outside too) even though they're not listed at the link. I don't recall if they have gift cards but I also haven't looked too closely.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:28 am
mia

Originally Posted by tmiw
...Shell gas stations now accept Chase Pay inside (and some outside too)....
If I understand correctly, Chase Pay displays a QR code. The pump would have a scanner that can read it, or does Chase Pay also support another technology?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mia
If I understand correctly, Chase Pay displays a QR code. The pump would have a scanner that can read it, or does Chase Pay also support another technology?
It uses GPS to figure out which gas station you're at, after which you enter the pump number in the app and it communicates directly with the pump.
mia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.