Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

To meet Chase's min spend can I spend it on gift cards like at Apple?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Going to apply for CSR and maybe two other Chase hotel cards. To meet Chase's min spend and get the sign-up bonus, can I spend it on gift cards like an Apple gift card to myself?
Old Feb 25, 2018, 7:19 am

That works. There's probably another thread with more ideas such as overpayong utility bills and so on.
jjmiller69 and Diplomatico like this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Magna
Going to apply for CSR and maybe two other Chase hotel cards. To meet Chase's min spend and get the sign-up bonus, can I spend it on gift cards like an Apple gift card to myself?
Technically you can but that is a super risky way to start off your relationship with their most prized card. Manufactured spend is frowned on more and more by Chase.

I would also question your selection of cards if meeting the minimum spend is an issue. This is a card designed for travelers and frequent credit card users.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 9:15 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
Technically you can but that is a super risky way to start off your relationship with their most prized card. Manufactured spend is frowned on more and more by Chase.

I would also question your selection of cards if meeting the minimum spend is an issue. This is a card designed for travelers and frequent credit card users.
Disagree. An Apple gift card would not be considered manufactured spend because it's "closed loop" - you can only use it to purchase Apple products. No different than if OP buys a Delta gift card or a Marriott gift card or even a Gift of College gift card.

VISA, AMEX, and MC gift cards - which are more easily converted to cash/cash equivalents - are mainly the gift cards with which manufactured spend is associated.

OP - shouldn't be a problem if it's only an Apple gift card to which you refer.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Feb 25, 2018 at 9:54 am Reason: Clarification
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Disagree. An Apple gift card would not be considered manufactured spend because it's "closed loop" - you can only use it to purchase Apple products. No different than if OP buys a Delta gift card or a Marriott gift card or even a Gift of College gift card.

VISA, AMEX, and MC gift cards - which are more easily converted to cash/cash equivalents - are mainly the gift cards with which manufactured spend is associated.

OP - shouldn't be a problem if it's only an Apple gift card to which you refer.
Great news. I liked to make a major purchase at Apple, but only when Apple comes out with an updated product. Of course, we don’t when Apple will actually do that. I’m guessing in the late spring/early summer.

Chase’s website doesn’t mention what purchases are not eligible, but American Express does state that Gift Cards don’t count toward meeting min spend to get the bonus. Do you think 🤔 AmEx is okay with “closed loop” gift cards? Reading AmEx’s T&C they are concerned with cash equivalents.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
If that is all you're buying you might as well get the CSP card instead, same bonus, no fee first year.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium

Great news. I liked to make a major purchase at Apple, but only when Apple comes out with an updated product. Of course, we don’t when Apple will actually do that. I’m guessing in the late spring/early summer.

Chase’s website doesn’t mention what purchases are not eligible, but American Express does state that Gift Cards don’t count toward meeting min spend to get the bonus. Do you think 🤔 AmEx is okay with “closed loop” gift cards? Reading AmEx’s T&C they are concerned with cash equivalents.
I think you may have answered your own question.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are new to Chase, you may want to get familiar on the nuisance in applying Chase cards. The very first sticky in this forum should be where you start reading.

Buying APPL GC is not an issue at all.

Applying Chase cards rapidly within several months will very much get yourself shut down by Chase in its current operating environment.

Do read the Chase shut down thread in this forum, AND similar threads across the net. Use Google to find them. Then PACE your applications accordingly especially if you dont have a long history with Chase.

You may also want to do a thorough comparison between CSR and CSP especially now CSP has an increased bonus at 60+5K for $95 fee. Some of the benefits of CSR are only good in theory and quite difficult to use. The travel bookings thru UR website in order to get the 1.5x (CSP is 1.25x) are full of perils, just as one example. You would want to weigh whether you could use the GE, and how often you use airport lounges, CSP at same 50K the first year AF is 0.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 27, 2018 at 5:11 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
If you are new to Chase, you may want to get familiar on the nuisance in applying Chase cards. The very first sticky in this forum should be where you start reading.

Buying APPL GC is not an issue at all.

Applying Chase cards rapidly within several months will very much get yourself shut down by Chase in its current operating environment.

Do read the Chase shut down thread in this forum, AND similar threads across the net. Use Google to find them. Then PACE your applications accordingly especially if you dont have a long history with Chase.

You may also want to do a thorough comparison between CSR and CSP especially now CSP has an increased bonus at 60+5K for $95 fee. Some of the benefits of CSR are only good in theory and quite difficult to use. The travel bookings thru UR website in order to get the 1.5x (CSP is 1.25x) are full of perils, just as one example. You would want to weigh whether you could use the GE, and how often you use airport lounges, CSP at same 50K the first year AF is 0.
Note, CSP at 60k AF is not 0. Regardless, I agree w Happy.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:27 am

Yes, have done this before
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Exclamation datapoint of gift cards not counting toward bonuses?

This person says their gift card purchases, even though they earned normal points aren't counting toward their minimum purchase requirement for the signup bonus:

Originally Posted by BNAChairman
Has Chase clamped down on gift card purchases to meet minimum spend for a new card bonus? Regular points posted from a recent gift card purchase but the bonus points did not. Called a rep and she said that gift cards are considered cash equivalents. But the language in the T&Cs for earning regular points is the same as bonus points for minimum spend.
(That's a post from the Applying thread.)
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, DL Diamond & 2M Miler, Marriott Titanium
I received the opposite response from a Chase rep I spoke with today. She said that the welcome bonus posts at a different time than the regular points each month. I won't know who is correct until next month.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I received the opposite response from a Chase rep I spoke with today. She said that the welcome bonus posts at a different time than the regular points each month. I won't know who is correct until next month.
Please READ the Wiki of this STICKY. STCKIES are there for good reasons.

No.13 in the Wiki would have answered your panic question.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...17-onward.html

If everyone heeds the plead from the Mod, we would have much less cutters and panic posts in the forum.

REQUEST: Please search forum for an answer to your ?? before posting
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:37 pm

The sign-up bonus generally posts at the close of the statement period during which you completed the minimum spend. As Happy stated, it's pretty clear in the wiki.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.