FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   New Starbucks Card issued by Chase (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1891649-new-starbucks-card-issued-chase.html)

hi55us Feb 1, 2018 6:25 am

New Starbucks Card issued by Chase

Details leaked via DOC:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...d-credit-card/

Unless you are somehow getting a $10+ free drink at Starbucks, doesn't seem worth it lol... Sure they'll get plenty of people to sign up though.

mia Feb 1, 2018 9:12 am

Previous card withdrawn in 2010:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...rd-canned.html

acarney Feb 1, 2018 4:05 pm

This new card doesn't sound all that great... I'll be curious if there are any additional perks for employees. Way back when the Duetto card was around I was working for Starbucks and I'm pretty sure employees got extra perks with the Duetto card or at least an extra sign up bonus. Either way I remember when it ended I suddenly got like 15 free drink coupons in the mail (a number of "thanks for being with us" coupons and then I think a cash out of any points/free drinks/credits or whatever the reward structure was for the points I had in my account). It was awesome for someone in their early twenties that was working part time at Starbucks and almost never used the card for more then gas and food, lol

That being said, I guess this might not be that bad to have as a double dip kinda thing.. just hold onto the card to fund your Starbucks card reloads and then use that to purchase coffee. In that sense you wouldn't even need to have the card on you and instead just use it in a digital wallet and reload/pay from your phone. If it earned stars on reloads you could earn 3 star/$1 and then 2 star/$1 when you purchased the drink. Thus to get 125 stars (free drink or food item) you would only spend $25... which is like five or six drinks... and if you're getting $4.50 to $5.50 back on ~$25 of spend, that's like ~20% or so...

I bet the fine print will turn out that you do NOT earn stars on card reloads and you must use your credit card for the purchase, thus 3 stars per buck spent via the credit card OR 2 stars per buck from your standard reloadable Starbucks card... If you really can generate 5 stars for every buck spent then I may have just talked myself into that, I don't drink Starbucks a lot any more, but that basically means once a week visits turns into a free drink every month, and I do get family gift cards for Christmas and stuff...

BuBu4 Feb 1, 2018 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 29368757)
I bet the fine print will turn out that you do NOT earn stars on card reloads and you must use your credit card for the purchase, thus 3 stars per buck spent via the credit card OR 2 stars per buck from your standard reloadable Starbucks card... If you really can generate 5 stars for every buck spent then I may have just talked myself into that, I don't drink Starbucks a lot any more, but that basically means once a week visits turns into a free drink every month, and I do get family gift cards for Christmas and stuff...

it seems like the only way to trigger the 3x is to reload via app. From DoC.

Earn 1 star per $1 spent on Starbucks purchases only when reloading your Starbucks balance via the app (if you pay directly at Starbucks you’ll earn the regular earn rate of 1/$4). The 1 star per $1 earned on Starbucks app reloads is in addition to the standard 2 stars per dollar earned by Gold members on all purchases. In total, you’ll end up with 3 stars per dollar, but again, the credit card is only adding 1 star extra per dollar.
kinda dumb imo.

acarney Feb 2, 2018 11:23 am

So that still makes it worth while since you don't earn the same amount on a points card, or probably even cash back card, but one star is pretty low when you factor in just using the damn store card you get two stars. I would think it would have been at least "double your stars with our Starbucks credit card!" and equal 2 stars for the credit card and 2 stars for the store card, especially with how many bonus chances Starbucks gives you on earning. I constantly see "try a mocha three times in the next two days and earn 50 bonus stars!" or stuff like that. I know that's to drive people to trying new things, or stopping by in the morning and then after work and build a habit, etc, but it's still a really good bonus amount they hand out and it's usually very short times. 50 bonus stars is like you spent $25 there. I could see if it was something harder like "earn 100 bonus stars for coming twice a day for two weeks in a row" or something that will really build a habit, but two or three days, that's nothing. Especially if you go with someone like I do... my mother and I will catch up for a bit on the weekend over a Starbucks, I ring them up separately but on her card, that would be 2 out of the 3 "visits" needed for bonus stars (as long as I order whatever the promo says) and then she just drops by the next day once. She's always earning free drinks, which is fine since she's the main Starbucks drinker. The point is though, it's very easy to score big bonuses so I'm surprised they were so "tight" with their credit card offering....

Diplomatico Feb 2, 2018 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by acarney (Post 29372138)
So that still makes it worth while since you don't earn the same amount on a points card, or probably even cash back card, but one star is pretty low when you factor in just using the damn store card you get two stars. I would think it would have been at least "double your stars with our Starbucks credit card!" and equal 2 stars for the credit card and 2 stars for the store card, especially with how many bonus chances Starbucks gives you on earning. I constantly see "try a mocha three times in the next two days and earn 50 bonus stars!" or stuff like that. I know that's to drive people to trying new things, or stopping by in the morning and then after work and build a habit, etc, but it's still a really good bonus amount they hand out and it's usually very short times. 50 bonus stars is like you spent $25 there. I could see if it was something harder like "earn 100 bonus stars for coming twice a day for two weeks in a row" or something that will really build a habit, but two or three days, that's nothing. Especially if you go with someone like I do... my mother and I will catch up for a bit on the weekend over a Starbucks, I ring them up separately but on her card, that would be 2 out of the 3 "visits" needed for bonus stars (as long as I order whatever the promo says) and then she just drops by the next day once. She's always earning free drinks, which is fine since she's the main Starbucks drinker. The point is though, it's very easy to score big bonuses so I'm surprised they were so "tight" with their credit card offering....

Problem for me - and I presume others - is I have no idea what "stars" are good for and why I should aspire to obtain them. For free coffee, I guess? Poor reason to get a credit card. (See what I did there with Aspire? I crack myself up sometimes.)

Pro tip: that large "return" button your keyboard will make "spaces" between sentences so you can create "paragraphs" to make your posts easier to read.

(Just kidding, I suspect you're on mobile.)

mia Feb 2, 2018 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico (Post 29373519)
... no idea what "stars" are....

Like airline miles, Starbucks stars do not have a precise monetary value. 125 stars can be redeemed for any (non-alcoholic) menu item. Like miles or points the monetary value will depend on your redemption pattern, ranging between $0.015 to $0.04 each.

RNE Feb 3, 2018 9:08 am

The card is a dog. Starbucks fanboys will fall for it. The savvy will not.

tmiw Feb 3, 2018 9:45 am

I'm surprised they didn't try to use the Starbucks credit card as a way to implement what's in effect an NFC loyalty card, like what Kohl's and a few other retailers do. Though I'm not sure there's as much of a need for that when scanning barcodes from the Starbucks app seems to work well enough.

Anyway, my usual drink (venti iced tea) would net around 2.4-2.5c/star of value, so this card wouldn't be too terrible. However, I still value travel rewards and cash back more, so I'll pass.

cestmoi123 Feb 6, 2018 3:05 pm

Not hugely exciting. Stars are worth about 4.5c to me, so this is only a bit over 1% cash back for non-Starbucks spending. For spending at Starbucks, I can buy a $100 gift card at Amazon, get 5% CB, and get 200 stars after I've spent it, so for $100 spent at Starbucks I'd get $5 in cash and 200 stars, so a total of $14 back. Spending that same $100 at Starbucks on this card would get me 300 stars, or about $13.50 in value. Not worth it.

DCfearfulflyer Feb 9, 2018 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by RNE (Post 29375064)
The card is a dog. Starbucks fanboys will fall for it. The savvy will not.

Exactly how Starbucks got away with selling $450 Limited Edition Metal Cards a few holidays back. At least that card (gift card that is) came pre-load with $400.

MOC991 Feb 9, 2018 3:37 pm

It is pretty much like any card tied to a store. It has terrible nearly worthless benefits if you calculate them as a percent of spend, but the store gets a cut of the card earnings so they'll push it hard. The credit card application quotas retail employees are required to meet per pay period is depressing when you consider it is mostly duping the uninformed into a card. The only cards one should have are ones that either give you travel points/rewards in a way you can use them at a meaningful percent of spend or cashback cards.

VegasGambler Feb 9, 2018 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw (Post 29375203)
Anyway, my usual drink (venti iced tea) would net around 2.4-2.5c/star of value, so this card wouldn't be too terrible. However, I still value travel rewards and cash back more, so I'll pass.

The key is to use your free drinks on venti breve style burnt butterscotch lattes with 7 shots of espresso, 12 pumps of butterscotch, and whipped cream.

fliesdelta Feb 13, 2018 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 29399712)
The key is to use your free drinks on venti breve style burnt butterscotch lattes with 7 shots of espresso, 12 pumps of butterscotch, and whipped cream.

Yes, maximize value, minimize health!

Also, why stop at venti, when they have the trenti cups?

NDN Feb 14, 2018 8:11 am

Originally Posted by fliesdelta (Post 29414191)
Yes, maximize value, minimize health!

Also, why stop at venti, when they have the trenti cups?

I maximize value and health:

Quint grande heavy cream flat white in a venti cup.