FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   How to use Sapphire Reserve rewards later.. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1884963-how-use-sapphire-reserve-rewards-later.html)

iowa guy Dec 28, 2017 10:31 am

How to use Sapphire Reserve rewards later..

I have Freedom Unlimited, Sapphire Reserve, and Business Ink Preferred.

I've been trying to figure out how to get the most value from Ultimate Rewards (who isn't, right?). I've learned from this forum that my Freedom Unlimited rewards are worth 1¢, Sapphire Reserve are worth 1.5¢, and Business Ink Preferred are worth 1.25¢. Before learning that I had no idea how much more valuable the Sapphire Reserve points were.

With that being said, what options would I have if I don’t want to pay the $450 annual fee but would, at some point (in 10 months), like to be able to get the 1.5¢ value for the rewards points. I don’t plan to use the reward points for at least 10 months from now.

If I move my Sapphire Reserve rewards to my Business Ink Preferred card then cancel my Sapphire Reserve account now, will I be able to reapply for it in 8-9 months so that I can move the rewards back to the Sapphire Reserve account?

Am I on the right track regarding what I should do to be able to use my Sapphire Reserve Ultimate Rewards in 10 months if I cancel my card?

Should I be looking at other options?

Thanks

mia Dec 28, 2017 10:48 am

1. The values mentioned apply only to one redemption option, using points to purchase travel through Chase's designated travel agency. You may find lower prices elsewhere, or you may achieve higher cents/point return by transferring to an airline or hotel partner and redeeming for an award flight or night.

2. You cannot apply for another Sapphire card until 24 months after your most recent Sapphire new account bonus was awarded. See this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...hire-card.html

iowa guy Dec 28, 2017 11:01 am

Does Chase have another card with UR values equivalent or greater, when using Chase's designated travel agency, to the Chase Sapphire Reserve that I could apply for?

mia Dec 28, 2017 11:08 am

No, Sapphire Reserve is the only card with $0.015 travel redemption value.

iowa guy Dec 28, 2017 11:11 am

Darn, looks like I may end up paying the $450. I'd transfer to an airline or hotel partner but I don't quite know which airline or hotel I will use when I'm ready.

mia Dec 28, 2017 11:16 am

1. The card costs $150 (450 less 300 travel credit).

2. If you plan to transfer points to airline/hotel program there is no need to keep Sapphire Reserve open because you also have INK Preferred. Use the Combine Points feature to move points from Sapphire Reserve to INK Preferred, and then Transfer from INK Preferred to airline or hotel program when ready.

iowa guy Dec 28, 2017 11:22 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29223447)
1. The values mentioned apply only to one redemption option, using points to purchase travel through Chase's designated travel agency. You may find lower prices elsewhere, or you may achieve higher cents/point return by transferring to an airline or hotel partner and redeeming for an award flight or night.

Are you saying that there are some airlines or hotels that UR will be worth more than 1.5¢?

Is there a source (chart/spreadsheet) that shows which airlines and hotels are typically the best transfer value?

mia Dec 28, 2017 11:27 am

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 29223585)
Are you saying that there are some airlines or hotels that UR will be worth more than 1.5¢?

This is a complex topic and the answer depends on your specific travel patterns and preferences. In general, to achieve more than $0.015 you would need to be redeeming for business or first class (or, perhaps, economy on a route served by only one carrier). The only hotel program that might deliver $0.015+ per point would be Hyatt.

Discussion is here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...tc-2017-a.html

iowa guy Dec 28, 2017 11:58 am

If I was to downgrade the Sapphire Reserve to a different card, could I 'upgrade' the card in about 8 months or would that be considered applying for the card?

Super Mario Jan 1, 2018 10:21 am

I got too caught up in the $450 AF, which cost me 50,000 points (missing the 100,000 offer). It is only $150 to have this card, which for me, pays for all "travel insurances" which I was either buying out of pocket, or going without before. Everything else is just gravy.

HawkeyeFlyer Jan 1, 2018 10:51 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29223533)
No, Sapphire Reserve is the only card with $0.015 travel redemption value.

Freedom unlimited get 1.5 points per dollar. All non-dining and travel should be done on that and then transferred to CSR.

$1000 spend on CFU for a none dining or travel charge would earn 1500 points. Then transfer to CSR and use them in the portal at 1.5 times again or 2250 points. Now they are earning %2.25 on the original purchase when redeeming

mia Jan 1, 2018 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer (Post 29236417)
....use them in the portal at 1.5 times again or 2250 points. ....

The number of points does not change when moved from Freedom Unlimited to Sapphire Reserve. It's still 1,500 points, and they are worth $0.015 each only if used to purchase travel through Connexions, which is fraught with problems.

Happy Jan 1, 2018 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29236728)
The number of points does not change when moved from Freedom Unlimited to Sapphire Reserve. It's still 1,500 points, and they are worth $0.015 each only if used to purchase travel through Connexions, which is fraught with problems.

Key point here. Would bet on the percentage of cardholders using all their points on the travel booking is less than 50%. This household only used a whopping 6500 pts this way the past 16 months since obtaining the CSRs because of the not trivial problems experienced.

The tiered value redemption is such a cunning marketing trick, ditto the $$$ travel credit - a mind game that a majority of cosumers would easily fall for as evidenced by many posts in this forum. If the card just charges a $150 AF without the travel credit, I bet the market reaction would be far less enthusiastic.

iowa guy Jan 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 29223723)
If I was to downgrade the Sapphire Reserve to a different card, could I 'upgrade' the card in about 8 months or would that be considered applying for the card?

<bump>

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29236728)

Is Connexions the portal that is used on the Chase Ultimate Rewards site?

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 29237874)
Key point here. Would bet on the percentage of cardholders using all their points on the travel booking is less than 50%. This household only used a whopping 6500 pts this way the past 16 months since obtaining the CSRs because of the not trivial problems experienced.

What would the other 50% be using their points on/for?

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 29237874)
ecause of the not trivial problems experienced.

not trivial problems?

mia Jan 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by iowa guy (Post 29289066)

Is Connexions the portal that is used on the Chase Ultimate Rewards site?

Yes, Connexions Loyalty is the travel agency which provides travel booking services for Chase (and for Citi). Read about experiences here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2017-a.html