How to use Sapphire Reserve rewards later..

Old Jan 13, 2018, 3:19 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by iowa guy
Are you saying that there are some airlines or hotels that UR will be worth more than 1.5˘?
If you are booking international business class travel you can easily get far better than 1.5 cents per point. My wife and I flew to Japan in business class on ANA this fall. We transferred UR points to Virgin Atlantic and then made a partner booking with them for the ANA seats.

Cost: 180,000 UR points and $336 in taxes and fees. The going rate for those flights in cash was $8,819.14. That means we got 4.7 cents per UR point value.

Neil
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 4:33 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by missamo80
If you are booking international business class travel you can easily get far better than 1.5 cents per point.
Agreed. Here's my example. Yesterday, I found award seats on Austrian Airlines in business class using United Airline miles. UR points can be moved to United 1:1. It cost me 70K points plus $68 for a ticket that sells for 5287 euros/$6448. That's a value of 7.5 cents per point. And it's the ideal routing for me. I am absolutely delighted with this award redemption. It's why I value UR points.
missamo80, Happy and jjmiller69 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Agreed. Here's my example. Yesterday, I found award seats on Austrian Airlines in business class using United Airline miles. UR points can be moved to United 1:1. It cost me 70K points plus $68 for a ticket that sells for 5287 euros/$6448. That's a value of 7.5 cents per point. And it's the ideal routing for me. I am absolutely delighted with this award redemption. It's why I value UR points.
Solid deal, but my question right now is it possible to get the same rate of 7.5 cent per point on other cards or just the reserve one?
Old Jan 13, 2018, 8:08 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
... possible to get the same rate ...
Sapphire Reserve's transfer rate 1000:1000 is exactly the same as Sapphire Preferred, Ink Preferred and any other Ultimate Rewards card that permits transfers to airline partners.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<bump>
What would the other 50% be using their points on/for?
Transferred to partners for long haul international flights in business class, especially for one-way which is very expensive if it is a "pay ticket", or for Hyatt stays.

You will almost always get much better value via booking award travels with airlines FFPs then using the 1.5c value to book "pay" flights with Chase travel portal.

But if you do not travel internationally or dont want to spend on the business class award, then the high value option would be meaningless to you. Hyatt though, still have some 8K to 12K properties that are very useful even if one only travel domestically. Still the rule of thumb is, ALWAYS compare the "cash price" versus the "point required" because the "cash price" is ALWAYS fluid.while the "point required" in most programs, is at fixed level.

I see mia already answered your question about the travel portal and pointed you to the STICKY on the top of this forum - you can find the "not trivial problems" that often occurred when booking thru Connexions.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
That is a good catch of an Austrian flight. I thought UA wants 80K for partner flights and only UA's own metal is at 70K?
Old Jan 20, 2018, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Yes, Connexions Loyalty is the travel agency which provides travel booking services for Chase (and for Citi). Read about experiences here:SCR

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...ts-2017-a.html
After reading several of the posts in that thread it seems like it could turn out to be a losing deal, at best, when using the Chase travel booking portal.

I think I'd like to close my CSR account and transfer my points to a partner but I haven't decided on which one yet. Do any or the UR transfer partners allow transferring to another program? For example, if I transfer my CSR UR points to United, can I transfer those points anywhere later?

FYI, I would like to use these points for a trip to Greece.
Old Jan 20, 2018, 6:25 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
After reading several of the posts in that thread it seems like it could turn out to be a losing deal, at best, when using the Chase travel booking portal.

I think I'd like to close my CSR account and transfer my points to a partner but I haven't decided on which one yet. Do any or the UR transfer partners allow transferring to another program? For example, if I transfer my CSR UR points to United, can I transfer those points anywhere later?

Simple answer no. But if they are in the same alliance you could use UA points to book on a partner airlines. No guarantee that they will get you to Greece!
Old Jan 29, 2018, 12:28 pm

I think best value is go business class on an international trip. If you can book early, get a super saver price. So going to asia on Eva air sometimes is only 90k points business one way through united
Old Feb 3, 2018, 7:01 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum

Honestly I'd stop overthinking it. You'll need to wait a while to stockpile points (you didn't say how many you had), but once you do just dump them into United. If you're in Iowa I assume you're flying out of Des Moines or Omaha so United will work very well for you. They have good award availability, even with partner airlines, and low fees. If you want to fly to Greece United will get you there one way or the other.

Also if you're planning a trip to Greece the CSR $300 travel credit will probably come in handy (to pay those award ticket fees or incidentals while travelling) and it's travel insurance is very useful.

Edited because I just noticed you had Ink Preferred. Do you have high cell phone/telecom spend that justifies the 3x on that card vs. 3x on dining and travel on the CSR? If you don't then cancel it and keep the CSR for the benefits.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.