FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Freedom 2018, 1st Q, Bonus Categories (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1882741-chase-freedom-2018-1st-q-bonus-categories.html)

tmiw Dec 14, 2017 6:44 am

Chase Freedom 2018, 1st Q, Bonus Categories

Looks like Q1's is out:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...34e7c5ac71.png

Unlike a few years ago, there seem to be enough places supporting NFC now that I might actually be able to max out the category bonus for once. ^

seawolf Dec 14, 2017 7:30 am

Thanks. I'll just prepay by cable/internet/mobile and be done with it in one shot.

Mamibear Dec 14, 2017 7:44 am

If I can do Chase Pay either online or in-store like BBY, this'll be great! I've had good experience using CP with all the current offers on qualified Chase cards. I just have to make a note to self to use only Freedom cards.

Need Dec 14, 2017 7:57 am

Looks like Amazon $500 gift card x 3 from 7/11 with Gas Station attached for me. :D

mia Dec 14, 2017 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Need (Post 29172992)
Looks like Amazon $500 gift card x 3 from 7/11 with Gas Station attached for me. :D

I would make a test purchase first to verify that purchases made inside that specific location code as you expect. Selling gasoline does not guarantee that the merchant account is classified as a Gas Station.

tmiw Dec 14, 2017 8:13 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29173025)
I would make a test purchase first to verify that purchases made inside that specific location code as you expect. Selling gasoline does not guarantee that the merchant account is classified as a Gas Station.

My experience at 7/11 is that Chase does send the "gas station" notification to my phone when making non-gas purchases inside. YMMV, of course.

mia Dec 14, 2017 8:16 am

Clarification: Some 7/11's code as gas stations, some as convenience stores. The presence of gas pumps is not conclusive.

krazykanuck Dec 14, 2017 8:25 am

Better than last year's Q1. I ought to be able to do well with this with Android/Chase Pay. Gas is a low organic spend category for me, and the cable/internet/phone is duplicative with the Ink +/Cash cards, so no benefit there for many of us, but for your average person probably good.

tmiw Dec 14, 2017 8:31 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29173062)
Clarification: Some 7/11's code as gas stations, some as convenience stores. The presence of gas pumps is not conclusive.

Is it possible to get that notification but not have it actually code as a gas station? I thought that particular notification triggered based on whether a merchant codes as a gas station or not.

Need Dec 14, 2017 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29173025)

Yeah I did the test and purchase early this year. Tried it at 2 different 7/11 locations near me and both showed up as gasoline. The cashier not only took my Driver License for verification.. also asked me for my birthday (while holding my DL) just to make sure I not a look-alike LOL. I guess not too many people go into a 7/11 and buy $500 amazon gift card!

HawkeyeFlyer Dec 14, 2017 1:13 pm

First quarter is super easy. Thanks Chase, can knock it out in the first few weeks

Caribgrl Dec 14, 2017 3:05 pm

Idk not too easy for me. I mean of course I will need to buy gas and will probably stock up on some gift cards. Especially uber for our trip in May. And yes pay my cable internet and cellphones with Chase.
But as far as Chase pay not so sure about that so not sure I would use that part.

And of course can only take so many gift cards...

isle-hawg Dec 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Uggh, I wish Chase would stop copying Discover on the 5X bonus categories e.g. have them different quarters. Unfortunately they know what they are doing and choose to go head to head with Discover most quarters. Gas and Restaurants especially.

Java Titan Dec 14, 2017 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg (Post 29175351)
Uggh, I wish Chase would stop copying Discover on the 5X bonus categories e.g. have them different quarters. Unfortunately they know what they are doing and choose to go head to head with Discover most quarters. Gas and Restaurants especially.

I think Citi dividend card is also 5% on gas next quarter. I'm so disappoint!!!

srk123 Dec 14, 2017 11:45 pm

Will gas at Costco gas stations count? They take Visa cards. Or are they classified as warehouse clubs?