Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom 2018, 1st Q, Bonus Categories

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Quick question...Because I don't think my phone is equipped for Chase Pay so I could just load up on gift cards, from a gas station, in order to get this quarters bonus...? Yes, besides my internet phone etc.
Originally Posted by RNE
Do a test purchase before going hog wild. It's unlikely but possible that a particular gas station doesn't code as such.
And do that test purchase at the register. Some gas stations can code as gas station when you make a purchase at the pump (which can't be gift cards), but code differently when you make a purchase at the register.

So you have to specifically verify, with a test purchase (a coffee, a pack of gum, a newspaper, whatever), that a purchase made at the register gives you 5x points. If so, then any purchase made at that register should get 5x points this quarter (until you reach your cap, of course).
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I discovered yesterday that I had not yet activated this quarter's categories.This morning it was interesting to see that overnight Chase's system had retroactively added the appropriate bonus to each individual transaction. I knew I would receive the points, but wasn't sure how it was implemented.
The retroactive bonus is a nice little "feature." I usually set up a reminder to register but it's nice to know if I missed registering I can register a bit later and receive retroactive points.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Quick question...Because I don't think my phone is equipped for Chase Pay so I could just load up on gift cards, from a gas station, in order to get this quarters bonus...? Yes, besides my internet phone etc.
Chase Pay doesn't use any fancy technology, like Apple/Android/Samsung Pay. It just pops up a QR code for the cashier to scan. However, you need the store accept it, which most do not. So it's not your phone you need to worry about but the merchant.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Polytonic
So if Uber Visa Local Offers is 5-8% back at Whole Foods ... does this mean I could get 5x URs + 5% Uber Credit if I paid with Apple Pay? That seems pretty crazy.
Yes you would.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
And do that test purchase at the register. Some gas stations can code as gas station when you make a purchase at the pump (which can't be gift cards), but code differently when you make a purchase at the register.

So you have to specifically verify, with a test purchase (a coffee, a pack of gum, a newspaper, whatever), that a purchase made at the register gives you 5x points. If so, then any purchase made at that register should get 5x points this quarter (until you reach your cap, of course).
did a $25 test purchase on gift cards and it did code as 5x 😊Though the car wash didn't...
RNE likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:59 am

Any data points on whether DirecTV Now counts as a cable service? Considering one of their promos with the option to prepay a couple months of service up front. Thanks
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:16 am
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
I like how Chase offers 5% gas during the slowest quarter in the year for driving lol. They pulled this garbage last year as well (and the year before I think). Just buy $1,500 worth of gas gift cards.

But the other options they offered are nice.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Just prepaid $500 for Verizon FIOS and $1,000 for AT&T mobile. Didn't have to leave home.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Would you consider putting say a 1000 Euro hotel bill on the Chase Freedom if you can Apple Pay it as opposed to using the CSR?

Of course the difference is 5X vs 3X but you'd probably pay $20-30 more in FX fees with the Freedom.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 12:38 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Would you consider putting say a 1000 Euro hotel bill on the Chase Freedom.....
No, because the Freedom offer is capped at $1,500 and I can achieve that with other domestic spending.
RNE and Critterlynn like this.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Would you consider putting say a 1000 Euro hotel bill on the Chase Freedom if you can Apple Pay it as opposed to using the CSR?

Of course the difference is 5X vs 3X but you'd probably pay $20-30 more in FX fees with the Freedom.
I don't know about elsewhere in Europe but the two Marriotts that I went to in the UK late last year were chip only. Even if you could use AP, the CSR would still be effectively 3x for that spend instead of 2x, so I personally wouldn't do it.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I've used contactless in Europe last year for hotel bills.

I didn't realize the cap on the 5X for Apple Pay was only $1500. For the whole quarter?
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
This year, earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter with your favorite categories and new ones still on the way
https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/calendar
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Just prepaid $500 for Verizon FIOS and $1,000 for AT&T mobile. Didn't have to leave home.
Let us know if prepaying works. I have both Fios and AT&T. If by the end of the quarter I'm not at $1500 I just might do this to top off the quarter.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 6:55 pm
RNE

I didn't realize the cap on the 5X for Apple Pay was only $1500. For the whole quarter?
Every quarter is always capped at $1500. Just imagine if there were no cap! Many of us would venture headlong into the oblivion of endless category-spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.