FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Freedom 2018, 1st Q, Bonus Categories (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1882741-chase-freedom-2018-1st-q-bonus-categories.html)

SanDiego1K Jan 21, 2018 10:19 am

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4d33eb52a1.png
Here's an attractive offer for using Chase Pay at Best Buy. Spend $300 by Feb 4 in the store and get a total of 10X UR points.

Ts and Cs:

10% Cash Back Offer Details:

*Offer valid in-store only. During the promotional period of January 15, 2018, to February 4, 2018, earn an extra 5% cash back on up to $300 in purchases at Best Buy® when you check out with your Chase Freedom card using Chase Pay. The bonus cash back earned is in addition to the 5% cash back you earn on quarterly bonus categories for a total of 10% cash back. If you do not activate your bonus categories, or you have already made $1,500 in combined purchases for bonus categories this quarter, or you reach $1,500 in combined purchases during this promotional period, you will only earn a total of 6% cash back on up to $300 maximum when you check out using Chase Pay during the offer period. Bonus cash back will post to your account within a week of the transaction posting, and will appear on your monthly credit card billing statement and be available for use within 1–2 billing cycles. Purchases posted to your account with a transaction date during the offer period are eligible for this offer. Delays by the merchant, such as shipping, could extend the transaction date beyond the offer period. To qualify for this promotional offer, account must be open and not in default at the time of fulfillment. This promotional offer is non-transferable. For more information about your rewards program, see your Rewards Program Agreement. Includes purchases made using your Freedom card with your Chase Pay, Apple Pay, Samsung Pay, or Android Pay digital wallet during check out. Eligible purchases only qualify for a total of 5% Cash Back rewards; purchases made using eligible wallets at other current 5% quarterly categories will be awarded a total of 5% Cash Back rewards on up to $1,500 in combined purchases.

darthbimmer Jan 21, 2018 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf (Post 29295734)
Just prepaid $500 for Verizon FIOS and $1,000 for AT&T mobile. Didn't have to leave home.

Nice. ^ I will try something like that around March 20 if I'm not close to the $1500 cap via organic spend.

Mamibear Jan 23, 2018 4:24 pm

DP on how my purchase at BBY on 1/20 posted with total purchase of $411.90
Rewards earned with this transaction
+ Bon 1Q 5% cat: Eligible mobile wallet 1647.60
+ 5% Chase Pay Best Buy bonus 1500.00
+ 1% (1 Pt)/$1 earned on all purchases 411.90
Total Points: 3559.50

I also did AndroidPay @ WAG on 1/22, it hasn't posted yet.

MisterBill Jan 25, 2018 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by jnb_tx (Post 29295639)
Any data points on whether DirecTV Now counts as a cable service? Considering one of their promos with the option to prepay a couple months of service up front. Thanks

I'm guessing that it would.

For a related data point, I renewed my SiriusXM subscription and did not use my Freedom card (used my BofA Travel Rewards card). I just noticed that it posted as CABLE AND OTHER PAY TELEVISION SERVICES, so it would have qualified for the 5% back had I used my Freedom card. I never thought of using it.

RJEvans Jan 26, 2018 2:35 am

Originally Posted by jnb_tx (Post 29295639)
Any data points on whether DirecTV Now counts as a cable service? Considering one of their promos with the option to prepay a couple months of service up front. Thanks

Yes it does. Mine just posted.

CarlosRodrigue Feb 2, 2018 6:48 pm

I buy some GC today at Walgreens with Apple pay. It worked. but does Apple pay or Chase know what I buy?

tmiw Feb 2, 2018 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue (Post 29373515)
I buy some GC today at Walgreens with Apple pay. It worked. but does Apple pay or Chase know what I buy?

Chase could know what you buy but it depends on the merchant and whether they send along the extra data required.

RNE Feb 3, 2018 7:02 am

Originally Posted by CarlosRodrigue (Post 29373515)

Fear not. There's nothing alarming about buying GCs. Consumers do it all the time. Something like $80 billion worth are sold every year. I buy a $50 or $100 GC when shopping for other goods two to three times per week to pad my category spend. (I have three Freedom cards.) Still, if someone purchased, say, fifteen $100 GCs at one pop, Chase may look askance at that.

seawolf Feb 3, 2018 9:05 am

Originally Posted by RJEvans (Post 29297393)
Let us know if prepaying works. I have both Fios and AT&T. If by the end of the quarter I'm not at $1500 I just might do this to top off the quarter.

Prepaying definitely worked. Worked in the past and continues to work this quarter.

bgriff Feb 5, 2018 9:40 am

Originally Posted by healthnut (Post 29228943)
Probably far fetched, but any way to pay through Paypal using Chase Pay, etc.? TIA

Surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this as I was thinking of it this morning. I believe through Apple's new Apple Pay Cash system, you could pay someone else (say, a spouse ... hint hint) and charge it to your Freedom card at an Apple-imposed payment fee of 3%, but earn the 5x points per dollar. Anyone tried it?

Personally I think I have enough other spend to max out this quarter without having to pay 3% for some of it, but it is an interesting idea. I am also getting a fair amount of my spend this quarter through Apple Pay on Uber, Lyft, and food delivery apps, which is only a 2 points/dollar marginal improvement over the usual CSR return, so I guess you could debate whether continuing to earn 3pts/$ on that spend and paying 3% outright for my 6500 pts is a better deal.

Stgermainparis Feb 9, 2018 8:40 am

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 29381842)
Surprised there hasn't been more discussion of this as I was thinking of it this morning. I believe through Apple's new Apple Pay Cash system, you could pay someone else (say, a spouse ... hint hint) and charge it to your Freedom card at an Apple-imposed payment fee of 3%, but earn the 5x points per dollar. Anyone tried it?

Personally I think I have enough other spend to max out this quarter without having to pay 3% for some of it, but it is an interesting idea. I am also getting a fair amount of my spend this quarter through Apple Pay on Uber, Lyft, and food delivery apps, which is only a 2 points/dollar marginal improvement over the usual CSR return, so I guess you could debate whether continuing to earn 3pts/$ on that spend and paying 3% outright for my 6500 pts is a better deal.

I'm going to do this for the remaining space I have to get the 5x at the end of the quarter. My concern right now is whether or not Chase will treat it like a cash advance.

bgriff Feb 9, 2018 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 29398160)
I'm going to do this for the remaining space I have to get the 5x at the end of the quarter. My concern right now is whether or not Chase will treat it like a cash advance.

Good point, it appears Amex at least does treat it that way:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8225844

Stgermainparis Feb 9, 2018 10:07 am

Originally Posted by bgriff (Post 29398182)
Good point, it appears Amex at least does treat it that way:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8225844

Wallethub says this "Chase Freedom cash advances are very expensive, thanks to a hefty fee and a high interest rate, both of which apply immediately after the transaction. The Chase Freedom cash advance fee is $10 or 5% of the amount advanced, whichever is greater. The Freedom cash advance APR is 25.99% (V). And that goes for both Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited. You’ll also need a PIN to complete a cash advance with either Chase Freedom card. But getting one is as easy as calling Chase customer service (1-800-432-3117) and requesting it. It should arrive by mail within 7-10 business days. Then, you’ll be able to withdraw cash from most ATMs using your Freedom card. Just bear in mind that your “Cash Credit Limit” will be a lot lower than your standard spending limit."

So if it codes as cash advance, minimum fee is $10. If anyone has tried using Freedom on Apple Pay to make a payment to a friend, please report back. I while ago, I lowered my CA limit to $100 and they wouldn't go any lower.

Magic Pickles Feb 9, 2018 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis (Post 29398460)
Wallethub says this "Chase Freedom cash advances are very expensive, thanks to a hefty fee and a high interest rate, both of which apply immediately after the transaction. The Chase Freedom cash advance fee is $10 or 5% of the amount advanced, whichever is greater. The Freedom cash advance APR is 25.99% (V). And that goes for both Chase Freedom and Chase Freedom Unlimited. You’ll also need a PIN to complete a cash advance with either Chase Freedom card. But getting one is as easy as calling Chase customer service (1-800-432-3117) and requesting it. It should arrive by mail within 7-10 business days. Then, you’ll be able to withdraw cash from most ATMs using your Freedom card. Just bear in mind that your “Cash Credit Limit” will be a lot lower than your standard spending limit."

So if it codes as cash advance, minimum fee is $10. If anyone has tried using Freedom on Apple Pay to make a payment to a friend, please report back. I while ago, I lowered my CA limit to $100 and they wouldn't go any lower.

I charged $1 and was charged $1.03 and no cash advance fee.

Stgermainparis Feb 9, 2018 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Magic Pickles (Post 29399946)

I charged $1 and was charged $1.03 and no cash advance fee.

Excellent. That’s good to know.