Chase Freedom 2018, 1st Q, Bonus Categories

Old Jan 4, 18, 1:18 pm
RNE

I knew it existed, but I never really understood or used NFC. Therefore, initially, I was bummed by this quarter's categories. However, now that I have Apple Pay fired up and running, I'm quite pleased with it. Indeed, I'll probably go on using it even after this quarter, which I guess was the point. And to that point, what does, say Apple/Google/Samsung, get out of this? A fractional percent of the purchase? And did they pay Chase to do this?
Old Jan 4, 18, 1:49 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
... did they pay Chase to do this?
I doubt that a consortium of competing contactless payment facilitators would offer a joint promotion. More likely Chase decided to use this as a way to encourage cardholders to add a Chase card to their devices, because some people will continue to use it after the deal ends. Also, unlike American Express, Chase does not offer any cards with contactless chip, and this helps offset that missing feature.
Old Jan 4, 18, 2:19 pm
jyx

Originally Posted by Polytonic View Post
So if Uber Visa Local Offers is 5-8% back at Whole Foods ... does this mean I could get 5x URs + 5% Uber Credit if I paid with Apple Pay? That seems pretty crazy.
Uber/Whole Foods is only 1%
Old Jan 4, 18, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
I knew it existed, but I never really understood or used NFC. Therefore, initially, I was bummed by this quarter's categories. However, now that I have Apple Pay fired up and running, I'm quite pleased with it. Indeed, I'll probably go on using it even after this quarter, which I guess was the point. And to that point, what does, say Apple/Google/Samsung, get out of this? A fractional percent of the purchase? And did they pay Chase to do this?
Apple gets 0.15% from Chase every time a card's used with Apple Pay. I think Samsung Pay is similar, but I remember Android Pay being free for the banks.

Anyway, mobile payment can significantly reduce card fraud (via tokenization and biometric/PIN authentication), which would cut down significantly on the hassle and costs for both them and cardholders. If enough people use it, issuers could even stop issuing physical cards by default--but that'll probably be quite far in the future. I'm more surprised that Chase extended the bonus category to all of them instead of only their own.

Originally Posted by mia View Post
I doubt that a consortium of competing contactless payment facilitators would offer a joint promotion. More likely Chase decided to use this as a way to encourage cardholders to add a Chase card to their devices, because some people will continue to use it after the deal ends. Also, unlike American Express, Chase does not offer any cards with contactless chip, and this helps offset that missing feature.
I wouldn't consider contactless cards really a thing with AmEx until it gets issued by default for all of their cards--or at the very least, promotes the option a lot more heavily than they have thus far. They do get some credit for having it available on the metal Platinum card, however.
Old Jan 4, 18, 3:15 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by jyx View Post
Uber/Whole Foods is only 1%
Hmm, shows as 5% for me in the Uber app. Maybe it's only for certain Whole Foods (e.g. CA vs. IL)? Or did you mean that mobile payments made at Whole Foods only earn 1x UR point?
Old Jan 4, 18, 3:38 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by Polytonic View Post
... Or did you mean ...?
It think there may be confusion between:

Uber VISA credit card, issued by Barclays, which offers no bonus for grocery purchases.

Uber VISA Offers
Old Jan 4, 18, 8:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

PS Costco carwash (if you are lucky enough to have one in your neighborhood!) charges as a gas purchase.
Old Jan 5, 18, 9:12 am

I have to get a whole new set of tires this weekend. I hope Discount Tire takes Apple Pay.
Old Jan 5, 18, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTWRide View Post
I have to get a whole new set of tires this weekend. I hope Discount Tire takes Apple Pay.
Last time I tried it was kinda flaky but considering that was a while ago, they may have fixed that now.
Old Jan 6, 18, 12:55 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A List, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
On that note, just a warning to some who may be considering Safeway gas stations: the Vons gas station here didn't trigger the Chase gas station alert on my phone when I used my card inside the other day. (The gas pumps may still work okay, however, but I haven't tested this.) Wouldn't be a problem except unlike the actual grocery store, NFC didn't seem to work there.
This is not new information. Paying inside the Vons/Safeway gas station building is a grocery store. Pay at the pump is automated fuel dispenser and is a fuel category. However, because of the surcharge for credit, I would not pay at pump and suggest a MS Vons/Safeway gift card to pay at pump. Kroger appears to be gas coded at their fuel station ministores. I am sorry to hear that you came across a Vons/Safeway terminal without the on-screen green lights inside the fuel store to indicate no NFC support as most should have been converted by now. It wouldn't hurt to let the store manager know they forgot to do a terminal.

Rasheed
Old Jan 8, 18, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Has anyone confirmed that Walmart.com with ChasePay works for this quarter?

I can always use more gift cards... to use at Sam's.
Old Jan 11, 18, 7:23 am

Quick question...Because I don't think my phone is equipped for Chase Pay so I could just load up on gift cards, from a gas station, in order to get this quarters bonus...? Yes, besides my internet phone etc.
Old Jan 11, 18, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Looks like subscription payments (e.g. Washington Post) with Apple Pay get the 5x too. Probably not a surprise in retrospect, but still.

Originally Posted by Caribgrl View Post
Quick question...Because I don't think my phone is equipped for Chase Pay so I could just load up on gift cards, from a gas station, in order to get this quarters bonus...? Yes, besides my internet phone etc.
You could, but Chase Pay is simply an app that you can download (as opposed to using NFC or MST, which requires a supporting device).
Old Jan 11, 18, 9:06 am
mia

I discovered yesterday that I had not yet activated this quarter's categories.This morning it was interesting to see that overnight Chase's system had retroactively added the appropriate bonus to each individual transaction. I knew I would receive the points, but wasn't sure how it was implemented.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Jan 11, 18, 9:22 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Caribgrl View Post
Do a test purchase before going hog wild. It's unlikely but possible that a particular gas station doesn't code as such.
Caribgrl likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: