Chase Freedom 2018, 1st Q, Bonus Categories

Old Dec 29, 17, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: GE, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Wal what? Fortunately, both Walmart and Kroger represent only a handful of obscure, mom and pop shops that nobody has ever heard of. Their absence won't be felt. Whew!
Safeway is pretty well known too and they just turned on contactless not too long ago. Not to mention there are regional grocers (like Stater Brothers in Southern California or Meijer in the Midwest) and small mom and pops that have it enabled. If one wants to count the "specialty" stores, there's also Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.

Like with anything credit card related, YMMV.
Old Dec 29, 17, 8:52 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Probably far fetched, but any way to pay through Paypal using Chase Pay, etc.? TIA
Old Dec 30, 17, 9:22 am
RNE

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
Like with anything credit card related, YMMV.
Speaking of regional players, I was an Acme grocery store customer for years... until last quarter when I moved all my spend to Walmart. In January, I'll still not be shopping at Acme because they don't have contactless pay. Their archenemy Giant Eagle does, so my spending will go there. Acme, long a latecomer to tech, is forsaken.
Old Dec 31, 17, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), ANA (Plat), Club Carlson (Gld), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Plat), SPG (Gld)
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
Speaking of regional players, I was an Acme grocery store customer for years... until last quarter when I moved all my spend to Walmart. In January, I'll still not be shopping at Acme because they don't have contactless pay. Their archenemy Giant Eagle does, so my spending will go there. Acme, long a latecomer to tech, is forsaken.

I am surprised that your Acme's don't have contactless pay as the one's by me have had it for a while. They are even on the list of Apple Pay supported merchants and Apple Pay requires NFC which is a type of contactless pay.

Also, someone mentioned that Walmart's don't accept mobile payments either but a yellow-shirt at the Walmart by me several weeks ago told me they accept Apple Pay. Now I didn't try it during that purchase so can't verify the accuracy of their statement.
Old Dec 31, 17, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Joe1690 View Post
Also, someone mentioned that Walmart's don't accept mobile payments either but a yellow-shirt at the Walmart by me several weeks ago told me they accept Apple Pay. Now I didn't try it during that purchase so can't verify the accuracy of their statement.
It's more that Walmart only accepts their own mobile payment app and not any other ones (well, except Samsung Pay, but that uses magstripe emulation). It wouldn't be the first time that an employee was mistaken about something.
Old Dec 31, 17, 2:54 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by Joe1690 View Post
I am surprised that your Acme's don't have contactless pay as the one's by me have had it for a while. They are even on the list of Apple Pay supported merchants and Apple Pay requires NFC which is a type of contactless pay.
Acme Markets != Acme.
Joe1690 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 18, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw View Post
It's more that Walmart only accepts their own mobile payment app and not any other ones (well, except Samsung Pay, but that uses magstripe emulation). It wouldn't be the first time that an employee was mistaken about something.
Yes, I discovered that Android Pay didn't work at WM when I tried to buy some gift cards at Walmart using it when AMEX had a promo last year and my phone didn't work. I just did a search and it's pretty clear that it hasn't changed. I plan to use my Freedom card with Samsung Pay for as much stuff as possible these next 3 months. Fortunately, I have 3 Freedom cards. I'll probably buy some Costco gift cards towards the end of the quarter to extend the benefit.
Old Jan 2, 18, 11:52 am
jyx

Originally Posted by MisterBill View Post
Yes, I discovered that Android Pay didn't work at WM when I tried to buy some gift cards at Walmart using it when AMEX had a promo last year and my phone didn't work. I just did a search and it's pretty clear that it hasn't changed. I plan to use my Freedom card with Samsung Pay for as much stuff as possible these next 3 months. Fortunately, I have 3 Freedom cards. I'll probably buy some Costco gift cards towards the end of the quarter to extend the benefit.
Does Costco or Costco.com accept any Payment system?
Old Jan 2, 18, 12:30 pm

So Android pay at CVS should do the trick if I want to wipe this out quickly?
Old Jan 2, 18, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jyx View Post
Does Costco or Costco.com accept any Payment system?
Costco doesn't accept NFC right now, so the only option is Samsung Pay.

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28 View Post
So Android pay at CVS should do the trick if I want to wipe this out quickly?
CVS also doesn't accept NFC.
Old Jan 3, 18, 10:43 am

please clarify

am i understanding Chase's statement correctly:

- bonus categories are member warehouses *or* any purchases *anywhere* as long as they're made with nfc? (for example buying lunch through contact less payment in my work cafeteria through my phone)

or

- bonus categories are member warehouses and any NFC purchases *as long as they're made in those warehouses*?
Old Jan 3, 18, 11:08 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Iridium7777 View Post
am i understanding Chase's statement correctly: bonus categories are member warehouses *or* any purchases *anywhere* as long as they're made with nfc? (for example buying lunch through contact less payment in my work cafeteria through my phone)
Yes. Any NFC purchase via the listed services, such as Apple Pay.
Old Jan 3, 18, 2:23 pm

Programs: United
So if Uber Visa Local Offers is 5-8% back at Whole Foods ... does this mean I could get 5x URs + 5% Uber Credit if I paid with Apple Pay? That seems pretty crazy.
Old Jan 4, 18, 12:50 am

Programs: AS MVP, SPG, Chase (CSR), UA
We donít spend a lot on gas, and my mobile phone bill is $5 a month thanks to the Sprint promo free year, so Iím going to be relying on Apple Pay for a lot of my $1500 this quarter.

So so far Iíve bought gift cards using Apple Pay using the Best Buy app. Some have digital delivery. Stocked up on Netflix credit that way and hoping they or Staples have a sale on iTunes GCs as well during the quarter. I may try out gift cards at the local 7-11 gas station (if it comes correcrtly as gas) to top it off if I havenít found enough Apple Pay opportunities organically come March.
Old Jan 4, 18, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by daniel949 View Post
I may try out gift cards at the local 7-11 gas station (if it comes correcrtly as gas) to top it off if I haven’t found enough Apple Pay opportunities organically come March.
The 7-Eleven gas station by my house triggered the Chase gas station alert when I bought stuff inside this morning. I fully expect to get the 5x for that transaction when it posts, but I'll update if that doesn't end up being the case.

On that note, just a warning to some who may be considering Safeway gas stations: the Vons gas station here didn't trigger the Chase gas station alert on my phone when I used my card inside the other day. (The gas pumps may still work okay, however, but I haven't tested this.) Wouldn't be a problem except unlike the actual grocery store, NFC didn't seem to work there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: