FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   Chase Freedom 2018, 1st Q, Bonus Categories (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1882741-chase-freedom-2018-1st-q-bonus-categories.html)

Mamibear Dec 15, 2017 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Java Titan (Post 29175635)
I think Citi dividend card is also 5% on gas next quarter. I'm so disappoint!!!

I'm planning to PC my dividend to another DCB after I complete $6K on BBY this month.

seawolf Dec 15, 2017 11:07 am

Originally Posted by srk123 (Post 29176217)
Will gas at Costco gas stations count? They take Visa cards. Or are they classified as warehouse clubs?

Classified as gas.

355F1 Dec 15, 2017 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by srk123 (Post 29176217)
Will gas at Costco gas stations count? They take Visa cards. Or are they classified as warehouse clubs?

I cannot confirm that they will count as a bonus category but I can confirm that my gas purchases at Costco always ring up under "Gas" on my statement while my regular Costco purchases do not.

It also says that equipment isn't included so if I buy an iPhone through Verizon's website will it count for bonus?

bbriscoe34 Dec 15, 2017 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 29173094)
Better than last year's Q1. I ought to be able to do well with this with Android/Chase Pay. Gas is a low organic spend category for me, and the cable/internet/phone is duplicative with the Ink +/Cash cards, so no benefit there for many of us, but for your average person probably good.

Yeah - I already get 5% and pay cable/phone on my no AF Ink Cash. But we do spent $400+ a month on gas, so that will come close to maxing out the category.

How/where can I use chase pay when not shopping online at walmart.com? That is the only time I've done it so far.

bbriscoe34 Dec 15, 2017 1:47 pm

When do we see what the Q2-Q4 bonuses are?

mia Dec 15, 2017 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 (Post 29178824)

Most likely on March 15, June 15, September 15 when enrollment opens for the following quarter. This maximizes Chase's opportunity to find a sponsor for the quarter.

GoAmtrak Dec 15, 2017 2:39 pm

Q1 is exciting. So many stores and apps accept Apple Pay or other mobile NFC, so it should be easy for most of us to maximize. I plan on getting there with phone bills + Whole Foods, Target, Walgreens, and GCs from any of the above if needed. Here's a handy list of major vendors and apps that take Apple Pay.

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 (Post 29178824)

Two weeks before the start of the next quarter.

bbriscoe34 Dec 15, 2017 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by GoAmtrak (Post 29179026)
Q1 is exciting. So many stores and apps accept Apple Pay or other mobile NFC, so it should be easy for most of us to maximize. I plan on getting there with phone bills + Whole Foods, Target, Walgreens, and GCs from any of the above if needed. Here's a handy list of major vendors and apps that take Apple Pay.

Two weeks before the start of the next quarter.

In past years thru usually gave guidance for each quarter at the start of the year. Like Q3 just said "summer fun" but turned out to be dining and movies, but we had some idea ahead of time...

Mamibear Dec 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34 (Post 29178791)
How/where can I use chase pay when not shopping online at walmart.com? That is the only time I've done it so far.

BestBuy has ChasePay option at their registers. For MS purposes, if YOUR BestBuy sells Visa Giftcard variables up to $200, you can buy them and liquidate to cash via MO at WM or grocery stores.

HawkeyeFlyer Dec 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear (Post 29179117)
BestBuy has ChasePay option at their registers. For MS purposes, if YOUR BestBuy sells Visa Giftcard variables up to $200, you can buy them and liquidate to cash via MO at WM or grocery stores.

Make sure you check out the link on Chase closing accounts for MS

maxp0wers Dec 16, 2017 9:06 am

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but for most of people concerned about how a specific gas station is classified, you could just go inside and pay with your phone for 5%. An extra step, but would guarantee the quarter bonus spend.

likewise, no reason to guess if a gas station has large gift cards, just go to any grocery store and get what you need.

I love this quarter. Nicely done Chase!

Need Dec 16, 2017 10:32 am

Originally Posted by maxp0wers (Post 29181225)
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but for most of people concerned about how a specific gas station is classified, you could just go inside and pay with your phone for 5%. An extra step, but would guarantee the quarter bonus spend.

likewise, no reason to guess if a gas station has large gift cards, just go to any grocery store and get what you need.

I think you are right. Most people, like me, looked at the first category on top and tried to figure out how to spend for that quarter. I don't use my phone to pay, so I didn't even think about buying gift cards at grocery stores pay with phone. Just like this quarter, I only focused on Walmart but I forgot it also for department stores. On black friday, I needed to get a new double wall oven and the one I want is the same price everywhere, Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, Sears. Then I realized that Sears is a department store while the others are not. So I got it at Sears and maxed out the quarter all in one shot!

mia Dec 16, 2017 2:26 pm

... just go to any grocery store and get what you need.

Provided the store accepts your method of contactless payment. If I understand correctly, Samsung Pay emulates a magnetic swipe, but the others require the merchant to accept NFC payments?

maxp0wers Dec 18, 2017 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by mia (Post 29182189)
Provided the store accepts your method of contactless payment. If I understand correctly, Samsung Pay emulates a magnetic swipe, but the others require the merchant to accept NFC payments?

correct. In my opinion Samsung Pay is the superior option because it utilizes old tech ( the mag stripe ) and can use NFC also.

Android and Apple are only NFC, which is very common now, especially in grocery stores and gas stations in cities ( and large retailers of course ). But it's nice to use your phone in like 95% of places that you swipe your own card with samsung pay.

Plus Samsung Pay has reward system for its use and with many promos. Just cashed out my rewards for a $100 visa gift card after about a year of normal usage.

purdue1015 Dec 19, 2017 3:05 pm

I am confused (I think). Is the bonus for purchases that code as those categories while made using your phone only? What's the addition of the mobile payments line mean?

Edit**is it gas stations+cable/tv/internet+ ANY mobile wallet purchases?