Chase Freedom 2018, 1st Q, Bonus Categories

Old Mar 6, 18, 6:38 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by Teddy Ruxpin View Post
I have never received the 5x for Project Fi payments with Ink. How long have you been on the service?
I just started. This was my first bill, in mid-February. Here's the detail from the Chase account page:
GOOGLE *PROJECT FInova
This transaction posted on <redacted>
Additional merchant and transaction information
g.co/helppay#, CA 940430000 US
Online, Mail, or Telephone transaction
Rewards earned with this transaction
+ Bon 1Q 5% cat: Internet/Cble/Phone Srvc
+ 1% (1 Pt)/$1 earned on all purchases
Total Points
Old Mar 6, 18, 8:15 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by maxp0wers View Post
and not to forget an extra 5% at whole foods too via Uber deals when shopping there....or buying your amazon gift cards there.
Just a note on this -- I am new to Uber offers so possible I did it wrong, but it appears I did not get Uber credit for shopping at Whole Foods using Apple Pay, and digging into the Uber offers T&Cs it looks like that is standard practice, presumably because Apple Pay charges come through under a different card number that wouldn't match the card numbers on your Uber account.

So I will look forward to double-dipping between Freedom and Uber offers at Whole Foods when using the Freedom card during the likely groceries quarter sometime later this year, but for this Apple Pay quarter we're out of luck.
Old Mar 6, 18, 8:28 am
RNE

Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
Not sure if Chase operates the same way but when my AMEX was compromised, AMEX specifically indicated the ApplePay "card" remains fully active despite getting a new card#.
Originally Posted by Diplomatico View Post
When you use Apple Pay, Apple does some sort of magic trick that creates a mythical credit card number that is not the same as the number on your physical credit card. (If you check your receipt some time after using Apple Pay, the last four digits that are annotated on the receipt do not match your credit card.) Presumably, if Apple Pay does indeed stay active after a card is compromised, Apple/Chase keep that psuedo-account active (since it's verified by either your fingerprint or facial recognition) until you add the new card. That's a theory, btw.
I would test this theory but I have already removed the compromised card from Apple Pay. I'm pretty sure I cannot now add it, but when I get a chance I will give that a try. If I'm successful (doubtful) I'll go out and attempt to make a purchase via Apple Pay. I'll let you know. However, if someone else is in a position to test this theory, please have at it.
Old Mar 6, 18, 9:10 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post
Just a note on this -- I am new to Uber offers so possible I did it wrong, but it appears I did not get Uber credit for shopping at Whole Foods using Apple Pay, and digging into the Uber offers T&Cs it looks like that is standard practice, presumably because Apple Pay charges come through under a different card number that wouldn't match the card numbers on your Uber account.

So I will look forward to double-dipping between Freedom and Uber offers at Whole Foods when using the Freedom card during the likely groceries quarter sometime later this year, but for this Apple Pay quarter we're out of luck.
I donít think Whole Foods is a Uber Visa partner anymore. It was earlier this year but definitely no longer showing up.
Old Mar 6, 18, 9:21 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by seawolf View Post

I donít think Whole Foods is a Uber Visa partner anymore. It was earlier this year but definitely no longer showing up.
Hm, I definitely saw it on the list when I looked at maxp0wers' post last week, but I don't see it now. I think there was something about the Uber offers list changing on a monthly basis so maybe they are out for March.
Old Mar 6, 18, 11:25 am

Programs: United
Originally Posted by bgriff View Post

I successfully got Uber credit for this last week paying via Apple Pay (using a CSR), but it looks like Whole Foods is no longer an Uber Local Offer for March.
Old Mar 12, 18, 10:38 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, LH, AY, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RNE View Post
I would test this theory but I have already removed the compromised card from Apple Pay. I'm pretty sure I cannot now add it, but when I get a chance I will give that a try. If I'm successful (doubtful) I'll go out and attempt to make a purchase via Apple Pay. I'll let you know. However, if someone else is in a position to test this theory, please have at it.
A bit of a thread resurrection here but I just found this comment. I just had a Freedom card replaced a couple of weeks back because of a fraudulent charge on it. It automatically changed to the new card number in Android Pay on my phone. I can confirm it was usable some days before I received the physical card. The 5% bonus for Freedom also credited correctly on the new card without me having to do anything. I would imagine Apple Pay works the same way.
RNE likes this.
Old Mar 24, 18, 8:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL Gold, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium + LT Silver, Hertz PC
Anyone know if Google Fi take prepayments? Don't see any option on its website. Call?
Old Mar 24, 18, 8:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott/BW Plat; Hilton Dia; Radisson Gold; Hertz Prez (OK, some are +1's)
Originally Posted by Repooc17 View Post
Anyone know if Google Fi take prepayments? Don't see any option on its website. Call?
Per the Fi help site: " Manual payments are only available if your automatic payment fails to go through." I also searched for using Play GCs but only credit and debit cards are accepted.
Old Mar 30, 18, 12:13 pm

Is there a way to find out what category a "pending" transaction is?
Old Mar 30, 18, 7:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, RapidRewards
Hi, does anyone know if BP gift card purchased from BP will be coded as gas stations or not? I'm thinking to get a couple hundreds dollars of gas gift card to maximize the bonus spending on my Chase Freedom. Thank you!
Old Mar 31, 18, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SilverGGA View Post
Is there a way to find out what category a "pending" transaction is?
Only if you've the same merchant (at the same counter if it's something like a gas station) before (on any Visa card, and probably MC too). I don't know of any way to see it otherwise.
Old Mar 31, 18, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ivandjaw View Post
Hi, does anyone know if BP gift card purchased from BP will be coded as gas stations or not? I'm thinking to get a couple hundreds dollars of gas gift card to maximize the bonus spending on my Chase Freedom. Thank you!
Welcome to (posting on) FlyerTalk, ivandjaw.

No one can know but you, because it depends on the specific station.

You're asking mighty late. This quarter ends tonight. The normal procedure would be to do a test purchase, verify how it posts, and then buy the gift cards. But you don't have time for all that at this point, all you have time for at this point is "guessing". (Plus you have to hope that they process it today. If you buy too late in the day, the may process it as a Sunday purchase, in which case it'll earn no 5x because it'll be in the wrong quarter! )

To increase your chances, make sure you choose a station where there's only one counter inside (not a window for gas purchases but a separate counter for other purchases). Also try to avoid a station that does car servicing, because that may ring up as auto repair at a counter.
Old Mar 31, 18, 10:08 pm

As the quarter ends, I wanted to say that this was probably the best quarterly bonus I've ever had. I came close to maxing out the bonus on 3 cards, and would have come closer had I been able to find the physical card for the 3rd account (I would have paid another $200 to Verizon). I had a $1000+ car service at a local dealership and was able to split it between two cards so I could get the 5% on the whole bill. I bought a couple of Costco gift cards to use next quarter since (sadly) warehouse clubs are not included in the 2q grocery promotion. If only Chase still offered emergency card replacement in the branch, or single-use card numbers, I would have been able to make the extra charge.

I used my Samsung phone to pay almost everywhere. Sadly, I ran into one backwards chain (Modells Sporting Goods) that does not allow the use of Samsung or Apple Pay (corporate policy since I was told this at 2 different stores). I do not understand why, since it seems that the credit card in the mobile wallet is more secure than a physical card. They clearly do not understand the technology.

Last edited by MisterBill; Mar 31, 18 at 11:32 pm
Old Apr 8, 18, 2:10 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
Welcome to (posting on) FlyerTalk, ivandjaw.

No one can know but you, because it depends on the specific station.

You're asking mighty late. This quarter ends tonight. The normal procedure would be to do a test purchase, verify how it posts, and then buy the gift cards. But you don't have time for all that at this point, all you have time for at this point is "guessing". (Plus you have to hope that they process it today. If you buy too late in the day, the may process it as a Sunday purchase, in which case it'll earn no 5x because it'll be in the wrong quarter! )

To increase your chances, make sure you choose a station where there's only one counter inside (not a window for gas purchases but a separate counter for other purchases). Also try to avoid a station that does car servicing, because that may ring up as auto repair at a counter.
Thank you for the reply. I ended up maxing out my freedom last quarter paying for AT&T

Search this Thread
Search Engine: