Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Freedom 2018, 1st Q, Bonus Categories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 5:21 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Huh? Don't all of the people who "love" (as opposed to just liking) gasoline quarters ones who use them for gift cards? That's what I sense from the posts here. Those people who use them for gas, it's usually never enough to come anywhere close to maxing out a quarter.

I like having a gas category, but I by no means "love" it. Not being particularly into buying gift cards, I come a little closer to "loving" the internet/phone this quarter because in March I will be able to prepay a bunch of months (since I don't have a card with those in a non-rotating category), and thus get more than one quarter's worth of internet/phone bills at 5x.
But how much $ gift card can you buy in a quarter? If you charge, say $200 gift card at a gas station, Chase may have problem with it being coded as "gas" purchase. You can get away with $100 at a time.

What happens if I have 2 or 3 Freedom cards? I can't buy $4,500/quarter gift cards. There are not many gift cards to choose at gas stations....
Old Feb 22, 2018, 4:48 am

I don't have my Chase Freedom on me right now as I am away on a long trip, but recently had some opportunities to use Apple Pay in Hong Kong as it is readily accepted there. I was excited to be able to meet some of the $1,500 spend for the 5% that I forgot one small fact: the Chase Freedom has foreign transaction fees...

Ugh. Almost all of my cards have no FX fees so I got lulled to sleep and forgot. Luckily the spend I did, which will be levied a 3% fee on, still earns 5x points.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 1:48 pm
RNE

Huh? Don't all of the people who "love" (as opposed to just liking) gasoline quarters ones who use them for gift cards? That's what I sense from the posts here. Those people who use them for gas, it's usually never enough to come anywhere close to maxing out a quarter.
You're right. But in my case―with three Freedom cards and less than $100 gasoline spend in a quarter―I would have to buy about $4,400 in GCs. And I don't sell them, so that's a considerably outlay on something that accumulates in my sock drawer. Amazon GCs I load onto my account and dispose of. So too some retail store GCs. But restaurant GCs stack up. On the other hand, maxing out a quarter on three cards means 22,500 URs. ^ Of course, none of this broaches what Chase would think about my buying 44 $100 GCs in a quarter.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by rxgeek
Chase Ink cards do not earn 5x for Google Fi. Anyone know if this is also true for the Freedom quarterly bonus?
I got the 5x bonus for my Fi monthly payment.

Originally Posted by RNE
I'm retired now and put very few miles on my Bugatti Chiron Rolls-Royce
Well, if you drive something that sips fuel as delicately as a Bugatti Chiron (9 mpg), of *course* you won't spend much on gas. You should switch to something a bit less fuel efficient, such as an M1 Abrams tank (0.6 mpg), or perhaps, if you're in a more nautical mood, an Arleigh-Burke class destroyer (1000 gallons per hour). Maybe these are not as much fun to drive, but what's more important, quick acceleration and delightful road feel, or UR points? I'd go with the latter any day.
RNE likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by snic
Well, if you drive something that sips fuel as delicately as a Bugatti Chiron (9 mpg), of *course* you won't spend much on gas. You should switch to something a bit less fuel efficient, such as an M1 Abrams tank (0.6 mpg), or perhaps, if you're in a more nautical mood, an Arleigh-Burke class destroyer (1000 gallons per hour). Maybe these are not as much fun to drive, but what's more important, quick acceleration and delightful road feel, or UR points? I'd go with the latter any day.
Except it's not very practical to switch vehicles for just one quarter. Yet what will needing more gas do you in April when there's no longer a 5x bonus on Freedom for gas?

So it seems to me rather than buying a gas-guzzling car, you should rent one for the quarter. But where can one rent the vehicles you mentioned? (And what card do you use when renting them?)
Old Feb 28, 2018, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Except it's not very practical to switch vehicles for just one quarter. Yet what will needing more gas do you in April when there's no longer a 5x bonus on Freedom for gas?

So it seems to me rather than buying a gas-guzzling car, you should rent one for the quarter. But where can one rent the vehicles you mentioned? (And what card do you use when renting them?)
Challenge Accepted! - Drive A Tank - Tank Driving, Car Crushing, Machine Gun Shooting
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:05 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Thumbs up

Thanks for posting!
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Yeah, but don't they pay for the gas in the case? Nowhere does it say one step is "drive to a gas station and fill it up!". So how does that help you maximize this month's 5x on gas?

Also, to an FTer, their description is confusing. Every offer says I can drive the Starwood Preferred Guest program!

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 28, 2018 at 6:43 pm
Old Mar 1, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Great! Now, which card should I charge that rental to for maximum points value?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 12:07 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by RNE
You're right. But in my case―with three Freedom cards and less than $100 gasoline spend in a quarter―I would have to buy about $4,400 in GCs. And I don't sell them, so that's a considerably outlay on something that accumulates in my sock drawer. Amazon GCs I load onto my account and dispose of. So too some retail store GCs. But restaurant GCs stack up. On the other hand, maxing out a quarter on three cards means 22,500 URs. ^ Of course, none of this broaches what Chase would think about my buying 44 $100 GCs in a quarter.
Making matters worse, one of my FCs was just compromised, so I won't be able to continue planned spending on it until I get a replacement card—five to ten business days hence.

RNE, lamenting that UR addiction is a cruel mistress.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 3:02 pm

I have never received the 5x for Project Fi payments with Ink. How long have you been on the service?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
Making matters worse, one of my FCs was just compromised, so I won't be able to continue planned spending on it until I get a replacement card—five to ten business days hence.

RNE, lamenting that UR addiction is a cruel mistress.
Not sure if Chase operates the same way but when my AMEX was compromised, AMEX specifically indicated the ApplePay "card" remains fully active despite getting a new card#.
mia likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by seawolf
Not sure if Chase operates the same way but when my AMEX was compromised, AMEX specifically indicated the ApplePay "card" remains fully active despite getting a new card#.
How does one activate the new card number though? Presumably you must receive the card to activate the card, in order to be able to use the card (in Apple Pay or anywhere else) no?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
How does one activate the new card number though? Presumably you must receive the card to activate the card, in order to be able to use the card (in Apple Pay or anywhere else) no?
When you use Apple Pay, Apple does some sort of magic trick that creates a mythical credit card number that is not the same as the number on your physical credit card. (If you check your receipt some time after using Apple Pay, the last four digits that are annotated on the receipt do not match your credit card.)

Presumably, if Apple Pay does indeed stay active after a card is compromised, Apple/Chase keep that psuedo-account active (since it's verified by either your fingerprint or facial recognition) until you add the new card.

That's a theory, btw.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:50 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
This would be AMEX ApplePay activated on the old card BEFORE you report it as compromised. That ApplePay “card” remains active even after you report the underlying card as compromised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.