Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Rewards discriminating against my wife

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ultimate Rewards discriminating against my wife

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by MDJennings
Is it really Chase's fault though? His wife could change the name on her United account in order to match Chase's system. The OP also says that, "visa," didn't allow a name longer than 20 letters. I can tell you right now that my JPMC issued credit has 24 characters for my name (including the spaces). I would love to see the OP try to sue them or even hear a lawyer take this case over the matter of roughly $300 that Chase had nothing to do with.
Good point. I don't know who the blame falls on, and if Chase can force the vendor to behave differently, if the vendor is at fault.

Also, I would not call the situation as discrimination personally, and no clue about legal merit.

Originally Posted by copaflyer
Executive office today still claimed it was because the names did not match and that is why the transfer would not go through. Okay then lets match the names so there is no issue. 15 minutes later and they are telling me that my wifes name is too long. Believe they allow 26 characters for the name. My wifes is longer.

Then they suggest changing my wifes name on her mileage plus account like the poster above but that is the name in her passport and would require her to get a new passport. No ideal.

They blame it on a policy from Visa (mastercard may be even shorter). According to them this issue has rarely come up and there is no policy about how to accommodate names that are too long for the fields provided. So their solution is to do nothing. I offered them solutions that would make my wife whole and not be a big deal for chase but they are not interested.

The person on the phone agreed with me that it should not be that way but not willing or able to go above and beyond to accommodate why wife or put me in touch with someone at Chase that can resolve it. But my feedback will be submitted to the feedback team.

Regardless of if one thinks this is discrimination based on race, gender, national origin, martial status or not this is such bs that I will rethink my relationship with chase. According to the guy on the phone treating me any better as a client then someone who spends a few dollars with chase would be disrimination and not allowed.
Nobody is asking you to change passport. change the name to get the miles, then change back to book tickets, etc.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Easy enough except:

Verification Required

To ensure the security of your MileagePlus account, this request requires the submission of one of the following legal documents:
  • Marriage license
  • Divorce decree
  • Legal name change document
  • Government issued ID reflecting your former and current identification information
Alternate Name Affidavit Option: If you are unable to provide one of the documentation options above, you may submit a Name Affidavit outlining your name change, along with a copy of your government-issued identification. To request a name change using a Name Affidavit,print the Affidavit and upload it through this form. Download Name Affidavit Form (91KB)
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:26 pm

Executive office today still claimed it was because the names did not match and that is why the transfer would not go through. Okay then lets match the names so there is no issue. 15 minutes later and they are telling me that my wifes name is too long. Believe they allow 26 characters for the name. My wifes is longer.

Then they suggest changing my wifes name on her mileage plus account like the poster above but that is the name in her passport and would require her to get a new passport. No ideal.

They blame it on a policy from Visa (mastercard may be even shorter). According to them this issue has rarely come up and there is no policy about how to accommodate names that are too long for the fields provided. So their solution is to do nothing. I offered them solutions that would make my wife whole and not be a big deal for chase but they are not interested.

The person on the phone agreed with me that it should not be that way but not willing or able to go above and beyond to accommodate why wife or put me in touch with someone at Chase that can resolve it. But my feedback will be submitted to the feedback team.

Regardless of if one thinks this is discrimination based on race, gender, national origin, martial status or not this is such bs that I will rethink my relationship with chase. According to the guy on the phone treating me any better as a client then someone who spends a few dollars with chase would be disrimination and not allowed.
How is your wife not whole from Chase since they issued the appropriate UR points for spend? They're not responsible for those expired points that were already in her United account. Have you even attempted to change her name on the United account to match her Chase account?

When are you planning on suing them? Just don't end up like this guy: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/one-man...h-arbitration/

Last edited by MDJennings; Dec 13, 2017 at 2:34 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:27 pm

Try this then:

Step 1. Open a new mileageplus account with shorter name.
Step 2. Transfer miles.
Step 3. Correct the name on the account (for which you have ID).
Step 4. Merge accounts.
MDJennings likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
Try this then:

Step 2. Transfer miles.
Step 4. Merge accounts.
He could also just do this:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...amechange.aspx

It's not difficult to get the required paperwork to get them to change it to the bank's spelling. How do I know this? My secretary did it.
flyershmlyer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Try this then:

Step 2. Transfer miles.
Step 4. Merge accounts.
Originally Posted by MDJennings
He could also just do this:
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...amechange.aspx

It's not difficult to get the required paperwork to get them to change it to the bank's spelling. How do I know this? My secretary did it.
You guys are preaching to deaf ears. OP is fixated on making Chase to do what he wants it to do even though it is not possible and he has already wasted 18 months plus more time, energy etc to try to achieve the impossible task.

There is an end goal - to keep the miles alive and to ultimately be able to clear the account and then bid UA adios. There are gazillion ways to do it but Nope, he insists to go thru Chase channel - presumably he wants to also clean out Chase account(s) and then be done with Chase...

There are easy ways to achieve a goal and there are hard ways or impossible path to try to achieve a goal - the poster chose the latter, starting from 18 and more months ago but still would not let up. It does not matter how many suggestions / useful tips y'all provide, OP would not take any.
jjmiller69 and MDJennings like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

I do like the idea of another mileage plus account, thanks. A lot of the miles in my wifes mileage plus account where originally from chase. I guess before they clamped down on who could be transferred miles. Other people abusing it causes Chase to not allow transfers to my wife. My wife and I should not suffer because Chase/visa failed to forsee people have longer names then then the characters allowed. Maybe not many and not people with a powerful enough voice but it is discrimination for the reasons I have already given. It could happen to anyone but most likely to women who are married from latin american countries among others. White men are not likely to have this problem.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Say, Insurances can discriminate based age, gender, where you live (which can be tied to race), + other factors.
That is not discrimination, but risk-based pricing.

In terms of discrimination, this whole thing reminds me discriminating against people with disabilities. Similar to requiring building handicap ramp access, can Chase hide behind "our IT system/vendor doesn't allow more than 20 characters" or are they required to install new infrastructure, like ramp access, to accommodate everyone?
There is no "reasonable accommodation" provision.

Originally Posted by Happy
You will be corrected many more times.
Not from you at least.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by garykung
That is not discrimination, but risk-based pricing.
seriously?? you can't base risk on sex, race, etc. etc. except for insurance, and few other industries. Otherwise, say, traffic stops that follow "risk-based pricing" could not be challenged as racially motivated. Or you can't discriminate in housing even if risk assessment might specify that some people would be better tenants than others. I can go on and on.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
seriously?? you can't base risk on sex, race, etc. etc. except for insurance, and few other industries. Otherwise, say, traffic stops that follow "risk-based pricing" could not be challenged as racially motivated.
Risky sex......another forum, I think. ;-)
flyershmlyer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:41 pm

If Chase would not allow you to transfer into your wife's account, could you not do it the other way around? Her to you?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Or you can't discriminate in housing even if risk assessment might specify that some people would be better tenants than others.
I sincerely hope you heard Fair Housing Act before you say that.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tizzette
If Chase would not allow you to transfer into your wife's account, could you not do it the other way around? Her to you?
She does not have an ultimate rewards account. She could have from her mileage plus account to my mileage plus account but there would be a cost associated with doing that. I suggested that chase could pay that and the whole situation would be avoided until it happens to someone else.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:12 am

I do like the idea of another mileage plus account, thanks. A lot of the miles in my wifes mileage plus account where originally from chase. I guess before they clamped down on who could be transferred miles. Other people abusing it causes Chase to not allow transfers to my wife. My wife and I should not suffer because Chase/visa failed to forsee people have longer names then then the characters allowed. Maybe not many and not people with a powerful enough voice but it is discrimination for the reasons I have already given. It could happen to anyone but most likely to women who are married from latin american countries among others. White men are not likely to have this problem.
Without piling on you too much, surely you realize that space on a credit card for the cardholder's name is finite? Therefore, a line has to be drawn. Most of the federally protected classes are not things that are chosen (national origin and gender, for example, as you mentioned) but Chase did not make their decision based on that. While you see a syllogism regarding discrimination, many others just see a bad beat on your part.

I doubt that there is a law in any Latin American country which requires anyone to concoct a surname such as you've described by way of marriage. There may be mores for it but still a choice. Chase has told you that yours is a minority situation and they probably deal with it once or twice a year. Thus, not a high R.O.I. for them to "fix", however, you have the ability to force this if you prevail in court AND if that is an option.

If that happens, I'll be able to change my name to "Steve Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" and my thanks will go to you.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oreto
Without piling on you too much, surely you realize that space on a credit card for the cardholder's name is finite? Therefore, a line has to be drawn. Most of the federally protected classes are not things that are chosen (national origin and gender, for example, as you mentioned) but Chase did not make their decision based on that. While you see a syllogism regarding discrimination, many others just see a bad beat on your part.

I doubt that there is a law in any Latin American country which requires anyone to concoct a surname such as you've described by way of marriage. There may be mores for it but still a choice. Chase has told you that yours is a minority situation and they probably deal with it once or twice a year. Thus, not a high R.O.I. for them to "fix", however, you have the ability to force this if you prevail in court AND if that is an option.

If that happens, I'll be able to change my name to "Steve Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" and my thanks will go to you.
Oy, this is hilarious!

Is there generally a law in Latin America countries that a married lady would need to append her husband's surname to her own surname? If not, then such happening in the OP's scenario is their OWN choice which unfortunately does not fit into the more conventional name fields in pretty much every organization's data base...
And why would Chase PAY to accommodate a choice that is purely personal?

Based on the combative posts so far, my guess is, the door is shut at the first interaction. Otherwise, a much more diplomatic approach may find some possible solutions rather being told to pound sand, repeatedly.

There are gazillion ways to do it but OP chose the hardest way or the impossible way. That is it.

Playing the discrimination card would never get him anywhere, not even in court - that is, if a court decides to hear the case.

Last edited by Happy; Dec 15, 2017 at 12:04 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.