Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Advice for booking premium class tickets from SFO - BLQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2017, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure where to post this query. I need advice re:

1) how to figure out which airlines to "prioritize" when assessing the many airlines that fly from SFO/SJC in California to BLQ in Italy. American, British Airways, Lufthansa, etc. are all listed in my preliminary searches so far. On our first family long haul flight to Asia, I picked an American airline (United) over the Asian airlines I hadn't heard of before and learned later from friends that EVA would have been a better choice than United. I also learned Singapore Air is supposedly incredible. I don't want to make that mistake again but don't know where to research that here.
2) how to maximize value when booking 4 premium class seats (ideally Business class but minimum Premium Economy) when I figure I'll have about 250K Chase Reward Points to use (we're already over 200K now and this is a September 2018 trip). I assume we book in cash and then use miles to upgrade? I did that for our United trip to Asia and got Business class for the 4 of us for about 240K miles and $2400 cash (30K miles plus $300/passenger each way). Totally worth it to me as that was a painful nearly 14 hour flight!

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smiles33

I'm not sure where to post this query. I need advice re:
1) how to figure out which airlines to "prioritize" when assessing the many airlines that fly from SFO/SJC in California to BLQ in Italy.
American, British Airways, Lufthansa, etc. are all listed in my preliminary searches so far.
On our first family long haul flight to Asia, I picked an American airline (United) over the Asian airlines I hadn't heard of before and learned later from friends that EVA would have been a better choice than United. I also learned Singapore Air is supposedly incredible.
I don't want to make that mistake again but don't know where to research that here.

2) how to maximize value when booking 4 premium class seats (ideally Business class but minimum Premium Economy) when I figure I'll have about 250K Chase Reward Points to use (we're already over 200K now and this is a September 2018 trip).
I assume we book in cash and then use miles to upgrade? I did that for our United trip to Asia and got Business class for the 4 of us for about 240K miles and $2400 cash (30K miles plus $300/passenger each way). Totally worth it to me as that was a painful nearly 14 hour flight!
A very brave courageous assumption you will be able to buy 4 economy seats for cash and then upgrade with miles-co pay. Upgrades are never guaranteed, Some low cost seats can be ineligible to upgrade. Upgrades on USA airlines and non USA airlines are not done the same. Do not assume USA airlines and non USA airlines operate the same way.

Premium awards USA Eu are very hard to get. 4 on the same flight is going to many times harder (probably will not happen).
For 4 premium cabin awards in Sept 2018 you need to start looking & booking today. You will not find 4 premium awards in Aug 2018.
Route map. A flight to Bologna airport will/may restrict your options-choices. Just look for any flight to Italy or adjacent country and then take a train.

Consider these http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-reviews.html

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Dec 5, 2017 at 7:12 pm
Old Dec 5, 2017, 10:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, Mwenenzi. Note that I wasn't being brave--more naive--as this is our first trip to Europe. As I said, "I assume we book in cash and then use miles to upgrade?" The question was because it worked well with our recent trip to Asia, but now I learn from you that like we lucked out with a US carrier. Instead of paying over $25,000 cash for 4 J class tickets (yes, those seats on the old United 747 before they were retired them were over $6,000 each), we paid about $4400 and 240K miles total. That was worthwhile to us (especially since 100K miles came from the Chase Sapphire Reserve sign-up promotion).

If it's highly unlikely for me to use miles to upgrade 4 passengers to J class on a European carrier like British Airways or Lufthansa, is it still possible to try this with American Air instead? Or is it all European flights?

Also, is American as "bad" as United or is it equivalent to BA and Lufthansa? Or is there some forum for asking for advice re: which airline? I see there are specific fora for individual airlines, but did not see one to request advice when comparing airline options.

I found J class is over $4K per passenger for cash, compared to $1600 for premium economy, on BA. SFO to LHW is "only" 10 hours but I may still decide to pay for the upgrade so we arrive feeling somewhat human rather than exhausted and cranky. We are traveling the last week of September so I'm hoping it will be less crowded as I believe every public school system is in session by then. Our kids' school has a Fall break that week.

Thank you, but no, I do not want to schlep my luggage from the airport to the train station and get on a train after 12+ hours of travel (even if it's only 1-2 hours by train). At the end of the day, I want the best value I can get but I don't want to travel any longer than necessary. Thus, I am focused on flying directly into BLQ.

Any additional advice would be welcome!
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As the OP is wanting to use UR points, we'll move this to the Chase forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Dec 6, 2017, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by smiles33
Thanks for your input, Mwenenzi. Note that I wasn't being brave--more naive--as this is our first trip to Europe. As I said, "I assume we book in cash and then use miles to upgrade?" The question was because it worked well with our recent trip to Asia, but now I learn from you that like we lucked out with a US carrier. Instead of paying over $25,000 cash for 4 J class tickets (yes, those seats on the old United 747 before they were retired them were over $6,000 each), we paid about $4400 and 240K miles total. That was worthwhile to us (especially since 100K miles came from the Chase Sapphire Reserve sign-up promotion).

If it's highly unlikely for me to use miles to upgrade 4 passengers to J class on a European carrier like British Airways or Lufthansa, is it still possible to try this with American Air instead? Or is it all European flights?

Also, is American as "bad" as United or is it equivalent to BA and Lufthansa? Or is there some forum for asking for advice re: which airline? I see there are specific fora for individual airlines, but did not see one to request advice when comparing airline options.

I found J class is over $4K per passenger for cash, compared to $1600 for premium economy, on BA. SFO to LHW is "only" 10 hours but I may still decide to pay for the upgrade so we arrive feeling somewhat human rather than exhausted and cranky. We are traveling the last week of September so I'm hoping it will be less crowded as I believe every public school system is in session by then. Our kids' school has a Fall break that week.

Thank you, but no, I do not want to schlep my luggage from the airport to the train station and get on a train after 12+ hours of travel (even if it's only 1-2 hours by train). At the end of the day, I want the best value I can get but I don't want to travel any longer than necessary. Thus, I am focused on flying directly into BLQ.

Any additional advice would be welcome!
Is x better than y is always in the eyes of the beholder. A lot depends on routes and aircraft. Generally speaking US based airlines are very similar. In a J product the aircraft has a lot to do with satisfaction. I would say LH and BA J products are slightly above any US airline then within BA I prefer SJC-LHR over SFO-LHR because I prefer the 787 over the A380

At the end of the day however it'll probably come down to who goes where you want and at what price

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.