Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

International travel from Seattle using Chase points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International travel from Seattle using Chase points?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Question International travel from Seattle using Chase points?

Hi,

I've got 235K chase points and I'm trying to book an international trip from Seattle for my wife and myself. The basic criteria we have is:

1. We prefer direct flights as we want to minimize travel time
2. Any class is OK but would love to travel business class as we've never experienced it before

I thought Japan would be great and ANA has a direct flight to Tokyo. Also ANA is a partner of Virgin Atlantic which has great deals on partner award tickets: 90K miles for round-trip business class. I called Virgin and tried to book a trip in May of 2018 but there were NO seats available in any class for any of the dates that worked for us.

Any advice on booking international travel from Seattle using Chase points? I get the impression that booking though any partner airline is going to run into the same issue: no seats available. Are there any international flights from Seattle on an airline that we can transfer points to directly from Chase?

Would love to heat some success stories!

Thanks,
Randy
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:57 pm

Sorry I can't add anything to this but I'm very interested in the feedback you get! That basically is exactly what I'm thinking of (though have no idea of what dates yet, possibly 2019 spring for the cherry blossoms if award levels and stuff haven't changed by then :P) and was thinking ANA Biz class from SEA as well.... So excited to see what kinds of suggestions you get and please keep us updated on what you finally book and how the travel goes! (Plus where you stay if you use Chase points to help pay for hotel stays as well or book them through Chase or anything)
Old Nov 27, 2017, 5:50 pm

Welcome to FT rlj51!

Simplest is to transfer the UR to UA. I see nonstop RT on ANA SEA-NRT, departing Mon May 21 in J and returning Mon May 28 in Y. 230k miles + $91.12.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rlj51
I thought Japan would be great and ANA has a direct flight to Tokyo. Also ANA is a partner of Virgin Atlantic which has great deals on partner award tickets: 90K miles for round-trip business class. I called Virgin and tried to book a trip in May of 2018 but there were NO seats available in any class for any of the dates that worked for us.
y
For these awards, 2 things. You're a bit late to try to book saver business/first. Other thing is use the United website to search for ANA award space. If it's bookable by United at the saver level, Virgin should see it. Call them and feed them the dates and flight numbers. Don't call them and ask what dates have availability, as you've found that's a waste of time
Old Nov 27, 2017, 11:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
ANA via Virgin Atlantic in business is the way to go to Japan. Just be more flexible on your dates. Spend a bunch of time on the United website searching for availability, then call up Virgin.

There's a thread over in the Virgin Atlantic forum with all the details on how to do this, including some notes from me when I successfully did this booking in the spring.

You can also use the UR points to transfer to Hyatt to book hotels for relatively inexpensively. We did that for several of our hotels on the trip. Also don't forget about getting the Hyatt credit card which (at least used to) offer you two free nights anywhere after hitting minimum spend, which works out nicely for two nights in, say, the Park Hyatt in Tokyo.

Highly recommended

Neil
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:31 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Does VS allow one-way award tickets on partner metal?
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Isn't there YQ if you book ANA via Virgin Atlantic?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:20 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 355F1
Does VS allow one-way award tickets on partner metal?
You can't book a one-way on ANA via VS.

Neil
Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mrkymark
Isn't there YQ if you book ANA via Virgin Atlantic?
The fuel surcharges on my two SEA-NRT RT tickets in J totaled $336. Considering the tickets retail for a total of $7,719.62 I'd say it's still a pretty good deal.

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.