Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

2018 - 5% Freedom bonus categories announced yet?

Old Nov 21, 2017, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Lifetime Diamond, UA Million Miler Gold, Marriott Platinum

Has Chase announced the 5% bonus categories for Chase Freedom for 2018?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Partial 2017 calendar was available in mid-December 2016. That's when registration opens for the first quarter of the next year.

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Partial 2017 calendar was available in mid-December 2016. That's when registration opens for the first quarter of the next year.

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.
So are you suggesting it may be on the same time frame this year? Perhaps mid December 2017 for the 2018 calendar
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:44 am

they have to publish Q1 by 12/15 to allow folks to activate. usually the general categories for the full year are released at that same time. perhaps as early as 12/14, but don't expect anything earlier than then.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jnb_tx
they have to publish Q1 by 12/15 to allow folks to activate. usually the general categories for the full year are released at that same time. perhaps as early as 12/14, but don't expect anything earlier than then.
Thank you for the information. I am assuming they will be pretty standard. Always seem to be pretty similar from what I can remember
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:51 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jnb_tx
...usually the general categories for the full year are released at that same time. ...
Last year the Q3 and Q4 descriptions were placeholders which did not identify any merchant categories:

Q3: Summer fun and more
Q4: Holiday and more
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:39 am
Original Poster

It does not make much sense to me. By now they surely have the categories for each quarter defined. I would want it released soon to get people excited about signing up for the card
Old Nov 25, 2017, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
I don't believe there has been any definitive info released yet, but Discover has released theirs for 2018 and very often they are similar. Discover for Q1 is gas and Warehouse clubs
Old Nov 25, 2017, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
It does not make much sense to me. By now they surely have the categories for each quarter defined.
but they probably don't. For years people banked on Amazon being a Q4 merchant, Chase mysteriously bumped it to 10% for the 2nd half of Q4 2015, and Amazon hasn't been seen at all since then. They also doubled up on wholesale clubs last year in Q2 and Q3 (I think) to combat the Citi Costco Visa roll out, but we didn't see wholesale clubs at all this year.

I think this is a lot more fluid than us armchair internet analysts would like to think and that's why Chase is usually vague with the full year calendar and only releases details right before a new quarter.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Let's revisit this subject when the categories are actually announced.
Old Nov 25, 2017, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by philemer
Let's revisit this subject when the categories are actually announced.
Here here!
ramonortiz55 and jjmiller69 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
A "mobile wallet" category would be nice. It'd probably be way too easy for people to max out, however, which is why it's unlikely to happen any time soon.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by tmiw
A "mobile wallet" category would be nice. It'd probably be way too easy for people to max out, however, which is why it's unlikely to happen any time soon.
Doesn't really fit into the category model though, does it? Might as well hope for a category designated as "goods and services" while we're going down this Yellow Brick Road.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Not really a category though, is it? Might as well designate a category as "goods and services" while we're going down this Yellow Brick Road.
I should clarify: this depends on where one lives. (NFC support is still pretty uncommon in the US, though it has gotten better.)

It's also not completely unprecedented, considering that Chase gave out extra UR for mobile wallet transactions with the Sapphire card back in October.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
This thread is morphing off topic so I'm going to close it.
sdsearch likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.