Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Chase Offers" (merchant branded discounts or rebates on specific cards)

Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is for discussion of so-called Chase Offers, which have the following characteristics:
  • They are visible in your Chase Online account and in the app.
  • They are tied to specific cards, not to every Chase card you hold.
  • They are targeted. You will not necessarily receive the same offer on a specific card type (or even any offer at all) compared to other holders of that card.
  • There may be multiple simultaneous variations of a given offer. Current offers for a specific merchant may vary in terms of discount level (e.g., 10% vs. 20%), expiration date, or maximum benefit. Pay close attention to the particulars of each offer.
  • You must register for (add) an offer in order to use it. (The Chase Offers FAQ states incorrectly that registration is not required.)
  • They run for short periods (typically less than 30 days), not for a full quarter.
  • They generally offer a percentage discount (up to a stated maximum) or, less commonly, a fixed rebate (for spending a stated minimum amount) on purchases from an individual merchant. They are typically not for spending in generic categories such as groceries, gas, etc., although these do show up on rare occasions.
  • They are typically for one-time use only. On rare occasions, however, a Chase Offer may apply to all purchases (up to a set maximum) made with the relevant card during the offer period.
  • Chase will occasionally extend an offer with no notice other a changed expiration date in the offer T&C. This does not allow for double-dipping: that is, you may not use a one-time offer during the added period if you already used it during the initial validity period.
  • Statement credits may take as long as two weeks to appear in your transactions.
    • You can adjust your profile settings to receive email notificationusually arriving within a few hoursafter youve made a qualifying purchase.
    • One-time offers will still be displayed in your account for a number of days after a qualifying purchase. This phenomenon does not mean that the offer is still available. A prudent cardholder will keep track separately of which offers theyve used.
    • Used offers will eventually move to the Redeemed tab in your offers for a given card. These normally appear well before the credit itself posts.
    • Unused offers will move to the Expired tab after the offer deadline passes. This also happens to used offers if the purchase occurs shortly before offer expiration. Do not worry; the offer will eventually move to the Redeemed tab as discussed above.
  • PayPal double-dipping is possible. If PayPal is a bonus category for a card on which you also have a Chase Offer, you can double-dip by using PayPal (charged to the relevant card) to make the purchase.
For discussion of Chases unrelated quarterly mybonus offers, see the wiki and discussion at Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses)
Print Wikipost

"Chase Offers" (merchant branded discounts or rebates on specific cards)

Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:06 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
I.....it says I have no internet connection ....
I find that toggling the WiFi connection off/on fixes this problem with the Android version of the Chase app. It only fixes it for the current session.
Caribgrl likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:53 am
Suspended

Got a bit of an amateur question..

My wife has the freedom credit card which she never uses. Our main card is the Sapphire card...

Does the Sapphire card not have special offers like it does on the freedom card? I know Amex has this on their card so every now and then we use that, but would rather link the offers to our sapphre.

Sorry for such a silly question.

Happy Christmas to all.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:44 am
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
Sapphire card not have special offers.....
Sapphire Reserve and Preferred cards do have offers. Are you looking in the Chase smartphone app with the correct account selected?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:38 pm

Thanks . Got back into the app. But was hoping for better offers. It seems you have to spend a lot to get any money back. That's why I have only used 2 offers. Both with 30% back. Anything less doesn't seem worth it to me...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by SgtRyan

Does the Sapphire card not have special offers like it does on the freedom card? I know Amex has this on their card so every now and then we use that, but would rather link the offers to our sapphre.
Each card has offers that are independent of other cards. Why not link (and use) it on both cards?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:25 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Timing data point:

​​​​​Qualifying purchase made evening of 12/10

Congratulations on using your offer email received 12/16

Credit actually posted overnight/appeared in the app this morning.

So not quite as snappy as AMEX, but for minimal effort sure I'll take it
Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Additional data point: the offers typically say "payment must be made on or before offer expiration date." I can confirm I made a qualifying purchase on an offer expiration date, which did not post until after the expiration date, and I just got the "congrats" email.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I've used a few offers on my CSR so far. For example, there was a 10% cash back on Marriott purchases, max $60 cash back. I spent a week in Hong Kong at the JW Marriott in November, the $60 credit appeared a few days after the stay charge had posted. This is very similar with how Amex and BofA are doing offers, it's a bit of work to keep track of them, but the cash back is nice.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:45 pm

I am seeing a 30% back (up to $19) at Staples on one of my Chase cards. Gift cards are not excluded.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I am seeing a 30% back (up to $19) at Staples on one of my Chase cards. Gift cards are not excluded.
For me, 15% back on one card, 10% on another.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by mia
I find that toggling the WiFi connection off/on fixes this problem with the Android version of the Chase app. It only fixes it for the current session.
This is super annoying. Amazing how this has been going on in my app for like couple of weeks now and there has been no fix.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
The app shows offers - but they are so tiny, I can't read them (without adding them). Why don't the offers show online like Amex?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:48 am
mia

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Why don't the offers show online like Amex?
Chase Offers is an outsourced program, perhaps integration with mobile app is easier?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:40 am

I had walgreens 10% back on my Freedom and 2 checking accounts that expired on Dec 21st. I used it on my freedom to buy gift card and it worked perfectly. Got an email few days later and credit posted after another few days.

I went ahead and used it on both my checking accounts 3 days before expiration date. No email so far. Just looked in the app under those checking accounts and that offer is now showing under expired offer. I guess no dice
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
The app shows offers - but they are so tiny, I can't read them (without adding them). Why don't the offers show online like Amex?
As mentioned by another person upthread, the best presentation view of the Chase Offers is on the Chase Pay app. Very easy to see offers on multiple cards at once. There is no formal relations between Chase Offers and Chase Pay, but they somehow got it done there. Chase does send a tokenized email every so often where you can login and look at the list for a card, but I don't get it for all cards. However, you cannot login to that portal currently (maybe in 2019 they will enable it).

Also, just add the offer if you are even mildly interested in the merchant. I am intrigued by this decision to filter and not add offers (especially seen by the AmEx Offers users). Even if you don't use an offer, if the merchant renews the offer, you will see it again. Offers do look at card history. I got an offer for one merchant immediately after using the card at a similar category merchant. So, seasoning your spend (easy to do with Chase Pay 5% bonuses) is important. AmEx works similarly.

The program is ran by Cardlytics (also runs BofA deals and others), but the notifications/presentation is up to Chase which is just versions behind the maturity from BofA or AmEx. I think AmEx is the only one who also has their own team working with merchants and has some neat capabilities like map-based options to find offers that are not proactively offered otherwise.

I am more disappointed that Chase hasn't made its connection to Revel and a few other POS stronger as alternative to the delivery companies.
TravelinSperry likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.