Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Chase Offers" (merchant branded discounts or rebates on specific cards)

Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is for discussion of so-called Chase Offers, which have the following characteristics:
  • They are visible in your Chase Online account and in the app.
  • They are tied to specific cards, not to every Chase card you hold.
  • They are targeted. You will not necessarily receive the same offer on a specific card type (or even any offer at all) compared to other holders of that card.
  • There may be multiple simultaneous variations of a given offer. Current offers for a specific merchant may vary in terms of discount level (e.g., 10% vs. 20%), expiration date, or maximum benefit. Pay close attention to the particulars of each offer.
  • You must register for (add) an offer in order to use it. (The Chase Offers FAQ states incorrectly that registration is not required.)
  • They run for short periods (typically less than 30 days), not for a full quarter.
  • They generally offer a percentage discount (up to a stated maximum) or, less commonly, a fixed rebate (for spending a stated minimum amount) on purchases from an individual merchant. They are typically not for spending in generic categories such as groceries, gas, etc., although these do show up on rare occasions.
  • They are typically for one-time use only. On rare occasions, however, a Chase Offer may apply to all purchases (up to a set maximum) made with the relevant card during the offer period.
  • Chase will occasionally extend an offer with no notice other a changed expiration date in the offer T&C. This does not allow for double-dipping: that is, you may not use a one-time offer during the added period if you already used it during the initial validity period.
  • Statement credits may take as long as two weeks to appear in your transactions.
    • You can adjust your profile settings to receive email notificationusually arriving within a few hoursafter youve made a qualifying purchase.
    • One-time offers will still be displayed in your account for a number of days after a qualifying purchase. This phenomenon does not mean that the offer is still available. A prudent cardholder will keep track separately of which offers theyve used.
    • Used offers will eventually move to the Redeemed tab in your offers for a given card. These normally appear well before the credit itself posts.
    • Unused offers will move to the Expired tab after the offer deadline passes. This also happens to used offers if the purchase occurs shortly before offer expiration. Do not worry; the offer will eventually move to the Redeemed tab as discussed above.
  • PayPal double-dipping is possible. If PayPal is a bonus category for a card on which you also have a Chase Offer, you can double-dip by using PayPal (charged to the relevant card) to make the purchase.
For discussion of Chases unrelated quarterly mybonus offers, see the wiki and discussion at Chase "My Bonus" promotions (targeted category bonuses)
Print Wikipost

"Chase Offers" (merchant branded discounts or rebates on specific cards)

Old Feb 20, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall
Does not seem to work on Ritz Carlton cards. (Before there are any snarky remarks, Ritz Carlton is part of Marriott.)
I can tell you that it works on both the personal Marriott Premier card and the business Marriott card. I used one offer on one of those and another offer on the other one of those, and both got credited fine. (I don't have a Rttz Carlton card myself, so I can' test that myself.)

What do you mean exactly by "does not seem to work"? That you can't set it up, or that you did set it up but didn't get the credit? And do you have a Marriott personal or Marriott business card that does work for you (so you're comparing side-by-side), or is the Ritz Carlton the only card you have in the Chase Marriott family of cards?
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:14 pm

So I've used two restaurant credits on my Marriott card, each for about a tenth of the maximum permitted amount (e.g., spent $10 on an offer where the max was $100). Interestingly, both popped up again shortly after using them (re-registering required). I wonder if this is intentional or a bug.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
What do you mean exactly by "does not seem to work"? That you can't set it up, or that you did set it up but didn't get the credit?
The former - it will not permit me to register a Ritz card.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nall
it will not permit me to register a Ritz card.
Which makes it sounds as if the people who set up this Chase Offers for Marriott are the ones that need to have explained to them that Ritz Carlton is part of Marriott. Just you and me know that doesn't help!

Anyhow, it's a shorter term problem, in that the Ritz program itself is going away (merging into Marriott at the same time that Starwood is merging in) in about a year, and the replacement for the Ritz card (as well as the replacement for the current Marriott business card) will eventually be issued by Amex, not Chase, and Amex Offers work across most all of their cards (not a teeny tiny subset as with Chase Offers so far).

AmEx Scores a Starwood Win as Marriott Opts for Dual Issuers AmEx and JPMorgan
Old Mar 16, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
And looks like Visa Offers/Trialpay for Chase (was Marriott and Slate) is ending its current offers on 3/31/18. Once could read it as new offers coming in April or the program is taking a hiatus after the current period. I never expected the program to be a trial or temporary basis. Oh well.

Rasheed

Last edited by rasheed; Mar 16, 2018 at 11:29 pm
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rasheed
I never expected the program to be a trial or temporary basis.
They made it too hard to review and select offers. AMEX put them right on the account home page, as well as on the App.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
They made it too hard to review and select offers. AMEX put them right on the account home page, as well as on the App.
This is a pattern with Chase. The also require you to use a separate login (Chase Credit Journey) just to see a FICO score, while there are loads of other banks out there that will show you your FICO score while you're logged into your account.

Having said that, Amex has had Amex Offers for years and years, while Chase debuted Chase Offers only late last year. Were you using Amex Offers the first month they existed? Or are you only comparing an established product to a brand new product?
Old Mar 20, 2018, 2:40 pm

I feel Amex Offers is in trouble too. I don't know why though when merchants can save on the marketing fees and just pay the rebate part.

The Visa Trialpay part has been around for quite some time (Regal is a long-time partner). I agree Chase should have brought the Trialpay platform into its SSO environment (Credit Journey does not require a separate login if you go via the link on your account - SSO). It looks like this was not done because it was only activated on two cards (Marriott and Slate). Probably if it was more connected, I wouldn't have been able to get the same merchant offer all the time even after I have redeemed it.

I find that Visa Trialpay not thinking about digital wallets was a terrible oversight and there was a period where activation was not sticking. But, I just need more relevant offers on these back-end platforms.

Rasheed
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I hadn't noticed this thread before (other than some specific threads I subscribe to I only visit the CC forums occasionally ) but I just now found some Chase Offers on my CSR in the mobile app for what I think is the first time (at least I never noticed them before). Some mild overlap with AMEX offers (Five Guys, Omaha Steaks, probably others). Some seem like they could be quickly redeemable/convertible.

Annoyingly, there does not seem to be a sorting option, and the offers shuffle themselves at random every time you add or view an offer and go back to the main screen
Yoshi212 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Got an email about this for my CSP about an hour ago and enrolled in quite a few. Most aren't quite blockbusters but there are a few really good offers. Amex Offers seems stronger but glad to see Chase bring this about.

Originally Posted by Zorak
I hadn't noticed this thread before (other than some specific threads I subscribe to I only visit the CC forums occasionally ) but I just now found some Chase Offers on my CSR in the mobile app for what I think is the first time (at least I never noticed them before). Some mild overlap with AMEX offers (Five Guys, Omaha Steaks, probably others). Some seem like they could be quickly redeemable/convertible.

Annoyingly, there does not seem to be a sorting option, and the offers shuffle themselves at random every time you add or view an offer and go back to the main screen
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:30 am

Programs: Coffee Shop Buy 10 Get 1 Free
Few nice rebates here on things I use already (Sbux, Petsmart), but nothing huge. I found most Amex Offers to be quite useless- on my Plat I had Omaha Steaks, 4-6 different wine clubs and the occasional obscure hard to use hotel offer
Old Nov 21, 2018, 8:09 pm

I am so puzzled on why Chase didn't get enough testers as they tried to get it launched before Black Friday. When you add a deal and want to add more, the app keeps taking you the back to the main screen instead of the list to add more deals.

There does seem to be a bit of customization in deals offered where if history indicates certain categories, it does offer a few relevant deals beyond the generic.

At the same time, AmEx deals have come back pretty well after a dull Q2.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 11:16 pm

The 10 percent rebate currently being offered for purchases at Lowes and Office Max/Office Depot are very easy to use since these stores all sell gift cards (I.e., Amazon, Visa, etc.).
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
Can somebody share their experience regarding the rules? There are some good offers on my CSP for hotels. The wording is always when you spend between $200 and $400 or similar. So I really wont get cashback if I spend more than $400? Especially with hotels that would be a major limitation, especially in comparison with Amex Offers that usually ask me to spend more than a stated amount. So I would ask the hotel to split payments? Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 11:44 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by flockavelliFT
Can somebody share their experience regarding the rules? There are some good offers on my CSP for hotels. The wording is always when you spend between $200 and $400 or similar. So I really wont get cashback if I spend more than $400? Especially with hotels that would be a major limitation, especially in comparison with Amex Offers that usually ask me to spend more than a stated amount. So I would ask the hotel to split payments? Thanks.
What offer is it? Mine for Sheraton just says spend at least $100 and you get a max of $33 back.
Old Dec 1, 2018, 12:17 pm

Has anyone used a mobile wallet in-person (such as Apple Pay or Samsung Pay) and had a deal work? I am not referring to any Chase Pay method using a QR code and not NFC/MSD.

My experience with Chase Offers 1.0 was that a mobile wallet purchase that generates a different virtual number did not allow the deal to work. The offers clearly state they are being done through a third-party (they switched to Cardlytics), so it isn't like Chase sees you spend at a participating merchant and gives you the credit. This is true for the BofA deals and others, same implementation.

I should add that I do not recommend anyone try a mobile wallet to get a deal to work, but if you happen to do so out of habit, the results are appreciated.

I saw Walgreens was added for many cards recently, and I have already started seeing varying offers (one offer only gave a 5% option because I used that card before at that merchant while it was 10% on other cards).

Last edited by rasheed; Dec 1, 2018 at 12:23 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.