Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

best redemption for LAX-ICN in biz class using UR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best redemption for LAX-ICN in biz class using UR?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2017, 1:41 pm

Yes the excursionist leg otherwise met all other requirements that I'm aware of. I made it to the next page "Review trip itinerary" and it still did not apply the discount.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:08 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by eeflyer
Yes the excursionist leg otherwise met all other requirements that I'm aware of. I made it to the next page "Review trip itinerary" and it still did not apply the discount.
This fits all the rules for the excursionist perk as outlined by United. I guess this is what United wants. Confusion and not clear rules
Old Nov 10, 2017, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by JHake10
This fits all the rules for the excursionist perk as outlined by United. I guess this is what United wants. Confusion and not clear rules
Yeah, especially when it's straightforward to produce cases where the calendar shows 0 cost, such as in your screenshot. It seems like the excursionist rules can't even be parsed by UA's systems
Old Nov 10, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by JHake10
As other have mentioned, your best bet are via transfer partners.

• Redeem via SQ on SQ: 170K RT. You also get to "Select one complimentary stopover if you choose a round-trip Saver"
  • Redeem via UA on OZ: 160K RT. You can also book an "Excursionist Perk". Basically a one way flight in a region that isn't your departure region (domestic Korea leg for example).
  • Redeem via KE on KE: 125K RT. Not sure of any stop over rules.

The Excursionist Perk doesn't even need to be during your trip. For example, LAX-ICN RT in December. A one way domestic China flight a few months later.

I found reviews for each of these routes on the travelcodex blog. The last one is from 2016 though (but still an A380, which I believe is still operated on the route).

Review: Singapore Airlines Business Class, Los Angeles to Singapore via Seoul
Review: Asiana Business Class, Los Angeles to Seoul
Review: Korean Air A380 Business Class, Los Angeles to Seoul
Any more detail on the Excursion perks? Seems kinda odd and do you just enter that information on third row for a multi-city trip?
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
Flights that qualify for the perk are as outlined below:

What is the Excursionist Perk and how do I take advantage of it?

The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
  • The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.
More details are listed on the United site below (they have some basic examples as well).

http://mileageplusupdates.com/mileag...english/miles/
Old Nov 11, 2017, 8:13 pm

If you don't mind going by way of Tokyo...

Virgin Atlantic -> ANA Business r/t for 90k (might as well do first for 20k more)

And book TYO-SEL-TYO for cash or BA -> JAL
Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingChuck
If you don't mind going by way of Tokyo...

Virgin Atlantic -> ANA Business r/t for 90k (might as well do first for 20k more)

And book TYO-SEL-TYO for cash or BA -> JAL
I don't mind connecting in Tokyo first. But I believe I can't book multi-leg to ICN using this method. Correct me if I'm wrong, I can however book a flight to Tokyo first, then book a separate flight to ICN.

edit: wait, I think that's what you meant too?
Old Nov 18, 2017, 3:38 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I've always found KE to have much more availability than SQ, even within a couple of weeks of departure (holiday periods excluded.)
Is it true that you can't book you and a companion who isn't related to you on KE?

For example, I am not married but travel everywhere with my girlfriend. Will KE allow me to register her as my companion?
Old Nov 19, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by 355F1
Is it true that you can't book you and a companion who isn't related to you on KE?

For example, I am not married but travel everywhere with my girlfriend. Will KE allow me to register her as my companion?
No direct experience but from what I understand, you can only book for direct family members only and even then KE requires proof. No girlfriends/boyfriends.

This article is from last year but I believe it remains relatively accurate (see #15 , specifically):

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....n-air-skypass/
Old Nov 19, 2017, 10:14 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
No direct experience but from what I understand, you can only book for direct family members only and even then KE requires proof. No girlfriends/boyfriends.

This article is from last year but I believe it remains relatively accurate (see #15 , specifically):

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....n-air-skypass/
looks like I’ll have to keep using my points for J travel on SQ then.

Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 355F1

No they will not.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:08 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
No they will not.
Thank you. I will continue using SQ for my UR J travel to Asia.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.