Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

best redemption for LAX-ICN in biz class using UR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2017, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

There's only a a few airlines that fly direct from LAX to ICN. I believe Singapore, United, Asiana and Korean Air all have direct flights. Anyone know the best way to book a RT in biz? Thanks!
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:16 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Singapore Airlines.

There is no better option.

You have to transfer your UR points to a Singapore KrisFlyer account that you’ll need to set up.

This flight is the only thing I use my UR and Citi TYP rewards for (usually continuing on to SIN then Bali)

Tons of availability in Business Class and only $83 taxes/fees along with 170,000 SQ KrisFlyer Milestone.

Last edited by 355F1; Nov 7, 2017 at 3:30 pm
Old Nov 7, 2017, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 355F1
Singapore Airlines.

There is no better option.

You have to transfer your UR points to a Singapore KrisFlyer account that you’ll need to set up.

This flight is the only thing I use my UR and Citi TYP rewards for (usually continuing on to SIN then Bali)

Tons of availability in Business Class and only $83 taxes/fees along with 170,000 SQ KrisFlyer Milestone.
anything with less points required? I think KE is 125K? How's their biz product?
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by E46M3
anything with less points required? I think KE is 125K? How's their biz product?
Excellent. I personally think the KE lie flat seat is quite a bit more comfortable than the SQ lie flat seat. The new KE J configuration allows aisle access for all seats in Business Class, very clever layout. No stepping over anyone, even if you have a window seat.

The SQ seat employs a rather odd configuration where you lie across the seat at 30-45 degree angle so that your feet fit into a (too) small cubbyhole on the right hand side of the area near the bulkhead. Very disappointing.

Service and food on KE is just fine - I don't recall SQ's being appreciably better on this route. The KE lounge at LAX is just okay; don't remember the SQ lounge.

Only downside, IMO, is paying $200 or so in tax/surcharges (that's to CNX....probably less to ICN) which is offset by the 45,000 fewer UR points it requires.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Nov 7, 2017 at 4:38 pm
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Excellent. I personally think the KE lie flat seat is quite a bit more comfortable than the SQ lie flat seat. The new KE J configuration allows aisle access for all seats in Business Class, very clever layout. No stepping over anyone, even if you have a window seat.

The SQ seat employs a rather odd configuration where you lie across the seat at 30-45 degree angle so that your feet fit into a (too) small cubbyhole on the right hand side of the area near the bulkhead. Very disappointing.

Service and food on KE is just fine - I don't recall SQ's being appreciably better on this route. The KE lounge at LAX is just okay; don't remember the SQ lounge.

Only downside, IMO, is paying $200 or so in tax/surcharges (that's to BKK....probably less to ICN) which is offset by the 45,000 fewer UR points it requires.
The new KE J product looks great in pictures. However, I do not think that they have it flying from LAX. As far as I know, it is still 2x a388 with the older J product.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by eeflyer
The new KE J product looks great in pictures. However, I do not think that they have it flying from LAX. As far as I know, it is still 2x a388 with the older J product.
I've flown the new configuration from CNX to LAX with a stop at ICN (last August). If they flew it to LAX they most certainly flew it back again.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:20 pm

I've flown the new configuration from CNX to LAX with a stop at ICN (last August). If they flew it to LAX they most certainly flew it back again.
Ah okay, I'm sure they have flown it to LAX previously. I've seen both the 777 and 748 on seasonal routes/occasional equipment swaps. However, AFAIK no current routes from LAX are advertised as having the new J.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
As other have mentioned, your best bet are via transfer partners.

• Redeem via SQ on SQ: 170K RT. You also get to "Select one complimentary stopover if you choose a round-trip Saver"
  • Redeem via UA on OZ: 160K RT. You can also book an "Excursionist Perk". Basically a one way flight in a region that isn't your departure region (domestic Korea leg for example).
  • Redeem via KE on KE: 125K RT. Not sure of any stop over rules.

The Excursionist Perk doesn't even need to be during your trip. For example, LAX-ICN RT in December. A one way domestic China flight a few months later.

I found reviews for each of these routes on the travelcodex blog. The last one is from 2016 though (but still an A380, which I believe is still operated on the route).

Review: Singapore Airlines Business Class, Los Angeles to Singapore via Seoul
Review: Asiana Business Class, Los Angeles to Seoul
Review: Korean Air A380 Business Class, Los Angeles to Seoul

Last edited by JHake10; Nov 7, 2017 at 8:42 pm
Old Nov 8, 2017, 5:21 am

Programs: United 1K
Great info about OZ "Excursionist Perk".
Old Nov 8, 2017, 9:50 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
But does KE have as much award vailability as SQ?
Old Nov 8, 2017, 11:21 am

In my opinion, I think KE has more availability than SQ
Old Nov 8, 2017, 1:07 pm

I've always found KE to have much more availability than SQ, even within a couple of weeks of departure (holiday periods excluded.)
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by jaguar
Great info about OZ "Excursionist Perk".
It's a United MileagePlus benefit, not necessarily specific to OZ.

Originally Posted by ponickka
In my opinion, I think KE has more availability than SQ
I've always found KE to have much more availability than SQ, even within a couple of weeks of departure (holiday periods excluded.)
^ SQ has been getting tough. If you're somewhat flexible you can find something for one. However, KE has fantastic award space and many times room for 2.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
The Excursionist Perk doesn't even need to be during your trip. For example, LAX-ICN RT in December. A one way domestic China flight a few months later.
Is this true? I've tried pricing out multiple examples, but can't get the free leg to price out correctly. While the "calendar strip" at the top shows 0, none of the available flights are discounted to free. I've always thought that the excursionist perk had to be within the RT.
Old Nov 9, 2017, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by eeflyer
Is this true? I've tried pricing out multiple examples, but can't get the free leg to price out correctly. While the "calendar strip" at the top shows 0, none of the available flights are discounted to free. I've always thought that the excursionist perk had to be within the RT.
Is your one way Excursionist Perk flight within one defined MileagePlus region?

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...ofregions.aspx

I don't have enough miles in my account to go all the way through check out. However, I chose LAX-ICN-LAX for a week in December. I also chose IST-FRA in February. When selecting the IST-FRA leg the award calendar up top was showing 0 additional miles (while the actual leg prices at 15K as shown on the bottom). This should be discounted at check out. Do you go all the way to check out?

Maybe I misunderstood. Tiffany at OMAAT had a whole breakdown when it came out.

http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...topover-rules/

What is the Excursionist Perk and how do I take advantage of it?

The Excursionist Perk is a free one-way award within select multi-city itineraries. Members who book an itinerary with three or more one-way awards will be eligible to receive one of those one-way awards for free, if it meets all of these conditions:
  • The Excursionist Perk cannot be in the MileagePlus defined region where your travel originates. (For example, if your journey begins in North America, you will only receive the Excursionist Perk if travel is within a region outside of North America.)
  • Travel must end in the same MileagePlus defined region where travel originates.
  • The origin and destination of the Excursionist Perk is within a single MileagePlus defined region.
  • The cabin of service and award type of the free one-way award is the same or lower than the one-way award preceding it.
  • If two or more one-way awards qualify for this benefit, only the first occurrence will be free.
Attached Images  

Last edited by JHake10; Nov 9, 2017 at 11:05 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.