Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase now limiting individual to one card per brand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Doctor of Credit is reporting some potential bad news:
In late August Chase introduced a new rule for Sapphire credit cards limiting you to one Sapphire card and restricting you from getting the bonus if you had received a Sapphire bonus in the past 24 months. Within the past few days several readers have let me know they have been denied new card applications and product changes for the same reason but with brands/families other than Sapphire.

One reader received the following note regarding a product change:

When selecting the credit card that best meets your needs, please remember that our policy no longer allows for customers to have more than one credit card in the same product.
DOC goes on to say that "It’s possible that this is only affecting cards that aren’t instantly approved and it’s due to customer service representatives not differentiating between the Sapphire rule and other card brands..."

New DPs obviously needed.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 7:46 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
our policy no longer allows for customers to have more than one credit card in the same product.

The underlined text says that I cannot have more than one of the same card. It doesn't say anything about related cards. This could mean that I cannot have more than one Freedom card, but it would not prohibit having both Freedom and Freedom Unlimited.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 9:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I think there's a lot of misinformed Chase reps fielding inquiries.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
I think there's a lot of misinformed Chase reps fielding inquiries.
I think it's even worse than that. Reading the exchanges that people share makes me believe that many Chase CSR's just make stuff up to get you off the phone.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I think it's even worse than that. Reading the exchanges that people share makes me believe that many Chase CSR's just make stuff up to get you off the phone.
And, since every call is recorded for quality assurance and training, there are evidently zero consequences for making stuff up. I suspect that front line CSRs are graded more by the number of calls fielded per hour vs. the quality of the information they provide. After all, which is the easier metric to quantify? From the customer's point of view though, this is exactly the wrong thing to prioritize.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: UA, DL, HH Silver, IHG plat
from what i had seen it was mostly affecting CSR/CSP, if you have both, you're grandfathered in, but if you dont have both, you can only get one or the other, and if you already have one, you cant get the other.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:15 am
mia

Originally Posted by b00mer89
from what i had seen it was mostly affecting CSR/CSP,....
Correct. The Sapphire/Preferred/Reserve restriction is published and discussed here:

New Chase rule: only 1 Sapphire card ...

The speculation in the blog article quoted in post #1 is that Chase may have a similar unpublished restriction for other families of cards.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 10:28 am

You can read all the DP's from Doc's post here. Nothing definite yet but remember Doc broke 5/24 months news before if became a rule.

That being said I grabbed a Marriott Business today ( Marriott Personal Open) just in case.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase...points-wanted/

Last edited by flyer4512; Oct 14, 2017 at 10:45 am
Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by flyer4512
You can read all the DP's from Doc's post here. Nothing definite yet but remember Doc broke 5/24 months news before if became a rule.

That being said I grabbed a Marriott Business today ( Marriott Personal Open) just in case...
I'm betting that Business cards will be handled as different products.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
I'm betting that Business cards will be handled as different products.

So far they seem to be.............assuming this new "rule" is even real for co branded cards
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by pallhedge
It's exchanges like this (from r/churning) that are equal parts amusing/irritating/confusing:

"However I called Chase to downgrade my CSP to a FU and then told them I'd like to reapply for a Reserve. They said I won't be eligible for the 50k sign up bonus because I have a Sapphire card in my history (regardless of the fact that I'm downgrading to the FU). I calmly explained to them that if I downgrade to the FU that would eliminate any Sapphire branded cards from my portfolio and that I'm well past the 24 month "probation" period that is written down as I received my CSP rewards points 36 months ago. But they still said that wouldn't work."

That makes it sound like Chase has moved to restrict bonuses to one bonus per card family per lifetime. Naturally, the poster in question called three different times and received three different answers (none of which were in the affirmative.)

I currently hold zero Sapphire cards. Sounds like I may never again.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:30 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
It's exchanges like this (from r/churning) that are equal parts amusing/irritating/confusing:...
Note that we have a separate thread which specifically discusses this issue, perhaps even the same incident:

Downgraded Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, but Reserve app rejected
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Note that we have a separate thread which specifically discusses this issue, perhaps even the same incident:

Downgraded Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, but Reserve app rejected
Thanks. Similar circumstance, certainly. Don't think it's the same incident as the text I quoted was posted today as a recent occurrence.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Ratamacue
I suspect that front line CSRs are graded more by the number of calls fielded per hour vs. the quality of the information they provide.
That wouldn't surprise me. And the Secure Message CSR's are more careful as they're putting things in writing.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyer4512
You're apparently not that familiar with DoC's site and the Chase past there, and thus you're mixing up different kinds of DoC Chase posts.

On 5/24, DoC was getting info from someone inside Chase, and said so.

On this, it's clear DoC is only getting info from datapoints (some of which are muddy), not from inside Chase.

Also, DoC updates the titles of his pages once more info is found. And the DoC article this thread is about now has the title:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.