FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chase | Ultimate Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards-722/)
-   -   ​​​​​​​Downgraded Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, but Reserve app rejected. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1868997-downgraded-sapphire-preferred-freedom-unlimited-but-reserve-app-rejected.html)

parkkibum Sep 26, 2017 5:19 pm

​​​​​​​Downgraded Sapphire Preferred to Freedom Unlimited, but Reserve app rejected.

Hi all
I'm in a frustrating situation.

I first opened preferred and received bonus back in May 2014. I downgraded to Freedom unlimited on 9/22/2017 and applied for Reserve on 9/25/2017. App was under review and I called the landing line and rep said it was declined because i still have preferred. I told him I downgraded to unlimited couple days ago but he said their system is still showing as preferred. when I log into chase.com it shows as unlimited. can anybody advise on this? perhaps I applied for Reserve too soon? I though only newly added restriction was if I received a bonus from any sapphire less than 24 month ago, then i cannot apply for any sapphire product. thank you.

edealinfo12345 Sep 26, 2017 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by parkkibum (Post 28862348)
Hi all
I'm in a frustrating situation.

I first opened preferred and received bonus back in May 2014. I downgraded to Freedom unlimited on 9/22/2017 and applied for Reserve on 9/25/2017. App was under review and I called the landing line and rep said it was declined because i still have preferred. I told him I downgraded to unlimited couple days ago but he said their system is still showing as preferred. when I log into chase.com it shows as unlimited. can anybody advise on this? perhaps I applied for Reserve too soon? I though only newly added restriction was if I received a bonus from any sapphire less than 24 month ago, then i cannot apply for any sapphire product. thank you.

I think you need to wait 24 months from the time you CANCEL a Sapphire card (not when you receive a bonus) to be eligible to be approved for another Sapphire card (irrespective of whether you are also eligible for a bonus or not). If this is true, then it means you can next apply for a Sapphire card in 9/23/2019 (as you canceled your Sapphire card on 9/22/17). For your sake, I hope I am wrong!

Let others chime in!

der_saeufer Sep 27, 2017 2:22 am

Originally Posted by parkkibum (Post 28862348)
perhaps I applied for Reserve too soon? I though only newly added restriction was if I received a bonus from any sapphire less than 24 month ago, then i cannot apply for any sapphire product. thank you.

You're correct on the new rules:

Originally Posted by Chase
This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months.

If your bonus was >24 months ago and the now-downgraded CSP was the only Sapphire you had, you're good. I think your guess is correct that you didn't wait long enough--it wouldn't surprise me if the product change takes a few days to propagate across all of Chase's internal systems even though it shows in your account immediately.

Call back in a few days?

(As an aside, Chase can't be the worst at this--some of B of A's online systems show one of my cards as an Alaska Mileage Plan card even though I downgraded it 2 years ago and the number changed at the time.)

pallhedge Sep 27, 2017 5:43 am

Originally Posted by edealinfo12345 (Post 28863039)
...For your sake, I hope I am wrong!

I have good news for you! :D

Diplomatico Sep 27, 2017 6:41 am

I think you need to wait 24 months from the time you CANCEL a Sapphire card (not when you receive a bonus) to be eligible to be approved for another Sapphire card (irrespective of whether you are also eligible for a bonus or not). If this is true, then it means you can next apply for a Sapphire card in 9/23/2019 (as you canceled your Sapphire card on 9/22/17). For your sake, I hope I am wrong!

Let others chime in!

False.

Need Sep 27, 2017 8:45 am

Let others chime in!

Depends on who read Chase's memo!

Most people will read it as
This product is available to you if you
do not have any Sapphire card
and
have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months.

Some could read it as
and
have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card
in the past 24 months.

parkkibum Sep 27, 2017 11:01 am

Thank you i guess i will have to try later

Originally Posted by der_saeufer (Post 28863617)
You're correct on the new rules:

If your bonus was >24 months ago and the now-downgraded CSP was the only Sapphire you had, you're good. I think your guess is correct that you didn't wait long enough--it wouldn't surprise me if the product change takes a few days to propagate across all of Chase's internal systems even though it shows in your account immediately.

Call back in a few days?

(As an aside, Chase can't be the worst at this--some of B of A's online systems show one of my cards as an Alaska Mileage Plan card even though I downgraded it 2 years ago and the number changed at the time.)

parkkibum Sep 27, 2017 11:02 am

Yea these rules are so confusing sometimes

Originally Posted by Need (Post 28864635)
Depends on who read Chase's memo!

Most people will read it as
and
have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months.

Some could read it as
and
in the past 24 months.

parkkibum Sep 27, 2017 11:03 am

Thanks for the reply i guess i will just try later

Let others chime in!

mhdena Sep 27, 2017 11:44 am

Probably need to wait at least 30 days as it still shows in the system. you even have 30 days to reverse the PC.

2-3 months would be better than 2-3 days.

parkkibum Sep 27, 2017 12:45 pm

Guess i was too in a rush but it is unfortunate i already applied for reserve so now i am at 5/24 becuase i was at 4/24 before applying for reserve so i guess vest thing for me to do right now is just to wait for system to refresh and call recon line.

Originally Posted by mhdena (Post 28865384)
Probably need to wait at least 30 days as it still shows in the system. you even have 30 days to reverse the PC.

2-3 months would be better than 2-3 days.

edealinfo12345 Sep 27, 2017 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge (Post 28863937)
I have good news for you! :D

Glad I was wrong. Guess the correct rule would be to wait for 25 months (24 months + 1 month safety margin) after receiving a Sapphire bonus, to once again apply for a Sapphire card, provided you do not already have any Sapphire-flavor card when you are again applying for it.

jjmiller69 Sep 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by parkkibum (Post 28865705)
Guess i was too in a rush but it is unfortunate i already applied for reserve so now i am at 5/24 becuase i was at 4/24 before applying for reserve so i guess vest thing for me to do right now is just to wait for system to refresh and call recon line.

No you are still at 4/24 for new cards opened. It's not apps it's new cards opened.

parkkibum Sep 27, 2017 8:16 pm

you are correct, so that relieves me bit now phew thanks!

Originally Posted by jjmiller69 (Post 28867317)
No you are still at 4/24 for new cards opened. It's not apps it's new cards opened.

pallhedge Sep 28, 2017 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Need (Post 28864635)
Some could read it as
and
in the past 24 months.

If this were the intended phrasing then the grammar would be incorrect. It would need to be:

do not have have not had any Sapphire card
and
in the past 24 months.