Community
Wiki Posts
Search

CSR Customer Service has become much worse.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by Happy
In theory...

My UA Biz card was a Visa Signature without spend limit. Yet look at what Avis Split got when they tried to put an authorization on the card which actually was below the credit line (presumably is for the revolving purpose only).

My understanding is, the so-called no spend limit cards still have an implied limit which is a variable calculated based on whatever formula(s) the issuing banks use. You would not know what it is until your card is declined (not for fraud or being shut down).
I've gone over my limit a couple times and Chase has always allowed the charges to go through. Typically only about $1000. I did call the first time and the agent offered to do an immediate credit line increase but I declined as I didn't really need it. I'm sure there's some kind of algorithm or review but it seems to work.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
I've gone over my limit a couple times and Chase has always allowed the charges to go through.
Is your card a Visa Signature? If so, this is your reason.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:09 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Originally Posted by garykung
Is your card a Visa Signature? If so, this is your reason.
Yeah, but this thread is specifically about the CSR which is a Visa Signature card.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:29 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Yeah, but this thread is specifically about the CSR which is a Visa Signature card.
Chase Sapphire Reserve is a Visa Infinite card. Not that the branding makes a difference once you get past signature because they both have NPSL with a "soft" line.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Because over limit is not an exclusively CSR thing, but instead a feature of Visa Signature.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Gig103
Chase had, on multiple occasions, treated me with enough disdain and disrespect that I stopped using them. Even when the 100k points offer of CSR first came out (worth way more than the $450), it wasn't enough to get me to sign up even for the first year. Even when I found out about the incredible trip insurance that is included, I didn't have enough trust in Chase for it to ever pay out if I needed it. I chose to get the Amex Platinum card because they, on the other hand, have always been on my side.
As a counterexample, I've had way better service from Chase than AmEx. Most recently, my SPG bonus points took over four months and multiple phone calls/live chats to actually post--but I've even had AmEx initially not help me when I called in years ago to report fraudulent charges. Meanwhile, I filed a trip delay claim recently and Chase sent me the check within a couple of weeks (plus I've never had to wait more than a few seconds to talk to a CS person).

That said, I imagine something more complicated may trip them up, but fortunately I haven't had to deal with that yet.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
Originally Posted by garykung
Because over limit is not an exclusively CSR thing, but instead a feature of Visa Signature.
A feature of Visa Signature/Visa Infinite that does not exist with that many issuers anymore. Chase is one of the few who let you routinely go over your limit and treat your VS/VI like a charge card.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Who knows? Obviously Chase has sent an email to the OP asking whether those were duplicates, yet CapOne's algorithm recognized it and an alert was generated. Goes to tell me that Chase system does NOT recognize those 5 times identical authorization might be duplicates.
When I did have a series of duplicate charges (by design - limit on the UnitedX app for purchasing Amazon gift card and I needed multiples to complete the purchase), the first 3 went without a hitch. The 4th did not and an e-mail from Chase was immediately received asking whether to authorize the purchase.

So Chase does have some duplicate charges algorithm. The time sensitivity or the amount sensitivity might be different than others. It might have to do with risk tolerance of the bank (i.e., they will know how many such transactions they have for which they had to eat the cost in the end and set the level of tolerance for those accordingly).
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
So far, I have never had any reason to complain with CSR's customer service. Always top notch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.