Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Credit Journey

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Chase Credit Journey

Anyone else use this service?

I just received a "credit alert" from Chase Credit Journey telling me that there was a new account opened in my name with American Express (and it was sourced from TransUnion.) The account number was not one I recognized so I called AMEX immediately.

AMEX identity protection rep says there's no account in my name/SSN with that number. I verified with AMEX the cards that AMEX and I believe I possess and they matched. This new card number is a false alarm apparently.

Very strange.

Edit to add: I froze my credit reports last week. Does that not preclude Chase from accessing information from TransUnion?

Last edited by Diplomatico; Sep 23, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Anyone else use this service?

I just received a "credit alert" from Chase Credit Journey telling me that there was a new account opened in my name with American Express (and it was sourced from TransUnion.) The account number was not one I recognized so I called AMEX immediately.

AMEX identity protection rep says there's no account in my name/SSN with that number. I verified with AMEX the cards that AMEX and I believe I possess and they matched. This new card number is a false alarm apparently.

Very strange.

Edit to add: I froze my credit reports last week. Does that not preclude Chase from accessing information from TransUnion?
Probably a stupid question but are you absolutely sure this credit alert was actually from Chase? I get emails all the time from various services telling me there is something wrong with my account or payment sources. Sometimes it's from services I don't even have. This is what is known as phishing. Someone might be trying to get you to reveal your personal information.

I'd suggest going directly to credit journey and logging in and see if this is still showing.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:51 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
It was from Chase, I got one too. It wasn't phishing.

https://creditcards.chase.com/free-credit-score

Neil
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:14 am

Is it possible you were added as an authorized user to an Amex card?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Probably a stupid question but are you absolutely sure this credit alert was actually from Chase? I get emails all the time from various services telling me there is something wrong with my account or payment sources. Sometimes it's from services I don't even have. This is what is known as phishing. Someone might be trying to get you to reveal your personal information.

I'd suggest going directly to credit journey and logging in and see if this is still showing.
That is how I checked the alert - by logging in to Credit Journey. And while I have recently opened a new SPG AMEX, it doesn't match the account number displayed on the Credit Journey report.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:35 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
That is how I checked the alert - by logging in to Credit Journey. And while I have recently opened a new SPG AMEX, it doesn't match the account number displayed on the Credit Journey report.
That is strange and I'd definitely be concerned. Do you use credit karma? Maybe you could check that also.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
That is strange and I'd definitely be concerned. Do you use credit karma? Maybe you could check that also.
I would be more concerned if AMEX hadn't told me that no such account number was associated with my name/SSN in their system.

I tried to open a CreditKarma account but they were unable to complete the enrollment because I had frozen my credit reporting accounts prior to my application.

FWIW, I also have a credit monitoring agency that tracks my credit reports and they also reported a new account with AMEX....but don't list the account number. I'll probably be calling them today to ask for more information about their alert.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 6:19 am

Nope. A freeze will not prevent a creditor who has an existing relationship with you from soft pulling. However, it will prevent hard pulls.

Any monitoring service has the potential for errors. If in doubt, always check directly with the source — pull a report from the CRA to verify.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I just noticed the offer for Credit Journey when on the Chase website.
Seems like it is a totally free credit score service? Is this correct?
I read through the terms, and didn't see anything overly concerning.

Am I missing something? Any downside to signing up for this?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:16 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by goodeats21

Am I missing something?
Possibly that they are not offering a FICO score. See here:

Why do Chase credit cards NOT offer free FICO credit scores?
Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I just noticed the offer for Credit Journey when on the Chase website.
Seems like it is a totally free credit score service? Is this correct?
I read through the terms, and didn't see anything overly concerning.

Am I missing something? Any downside to signing up for this?
It is a free credit monitoring service.
It alerts you when there is a HP from TU or when an account is open in your name.

Originally Posted by mia
Possibly that they are not offering a FICO score. See here:

Why do Chase credit cards NOT offer free FICO credit scores?
According to Credit Journey, it is VantageScore 3.0 credit score from TransUnion.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Thanks. So sounds like no downside to signing up?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:13 pm

Experience with Credit Journey tool? Suddenly under 5/24?

Earlier this evening someone on reddit mentioned that Chase has a new tool called Credit Journey, and I have decided to check it out. Couple years ago I was lol/24, and I still open a decent number of cards but activity mostly shifted towards the biz cards now. When I logged into Credit Journey it showed me that the number of cards opened in the last two years was 4. I found this pretty surprising as in Credit Karma I can see more than 4 personal accounts opened in the past 24 month, and the only thing I could think of that 4 could mean was the total number of Chase biz + personal cards I had opened in the past 2 yrs. Has anyone here had experience with this tool and knows what that data means and how it correlates with the actual 5/24 rule?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by DiMAn0684
Earlier this evening someone on reddit mentioned that Chase has a new tool called Credit Journey, and I have decided to check it out. Couple years ago I was lol/24, and I still open a decent number of cards but activity mostly shifted towards the biz cards now. When I logged into Credit Journey it showed me that the number of cards opened in the last two years was 4. I found this pretty surprising as in Credit Karma I can see more than 4 personal accounts opened in the past 24 month, and the only thing I could think of that 4 could mean was the total number of Chase biz + personal cards I had opened in the past 2 yrs. Has anyone here had experience with this tool and knows what that data means and how it correlates with the actual 5/24 rule?
I don't know exactly what Credit Journey counts, but I can tell you that it is NOT the same as what the Chase 5/24 algorithm counts. Given that, there's no reason to pay attention to Credit Journey's count.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
I don't know exactly what Credit Journey counts, but I can tell you that it is NOT the same as what the Chase 5/24 algorithm counts. Given that, there's no reason to pay attention to Credit Journey's count.
Thank you for the info, I got excited about getting a SW CP for 2019/2020

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.