Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

List of travel sites that DO NOT earn extra UR due to an incorrect MCC?

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 5, 18, 1:22 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Wiki Link
Companies that do not code as travel
  • ABOUTAsia
  • Ecoventura

For reference, here is the Master Thread dedicated to companies that DO count as travel : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...el-credit.html
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 18, 17, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

I realize that travel category as defined by Chase is pretty broad and most of the sites we think are travel related, ARE in fact travel related but are there exceptions? Is there a thread where people post those?

For example I booked a South America trip last year with a dedicated travel agent. The total was around 20k so I expected to see 60k UR points on my statement. But it turned out that their Visa Merchant Category Code was wrong. I didn't think there was anything I could do but the agent not only managed to change its MCC (I think I wasn't the only one expressing my disappointment) but voided my original transaction and charged me again which forced Chase to award extra points.

Now I'm planning a trip to Asia and looking at sites like agoda, mrandmrssmith, tlselecthotels, momondo, adioso etc. In theory OTAs fall under Chase travel category but so do travel agents. I just want to avoid surprises.

PS. There is a cool thread about Chase Business Ink cards earning 5x points at unexpected places (like paypaldigitalgifts) - I was hoping for an opposite of that, so to speak.
Old Sep 18, 17, 3:58 pm
Community Director

We booked a Galapagos cruise from Ecoventura earlier this year. It was expensive and I was looking forward to extra UR points. It turns out that the company is listed as a boat rental company and not as a cruise company. Chase would do nothing. Ecoventura gave me a rebate rather than changing their merchant number.
Old Sep 20, 17, 1:49 pm

I missed out on a decent amount of points on a trip to Asia because the travel agency (ABOUTAsia) that I used had an online payment portal classified as a computer software store. I managed to get my missing 10k rewards points from Chase after a couple of secure meassages with an escalation to a supervisor. Didn't think to contact the agency about fixing their MCC.
Old Sep 20, 17, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
Others that I have found not to record as travel and thus not earn 3x:

- Berlin Tourismus & Kongress GmbH, the operators of visitberlin.de and sellers of the Berlin Welcome Card, sightseeing tours and hotel reservations in Berlin.

- Rede Expressos, a seller and operator of long distance bus service throughout Portugal, through their web site www.rede-expressos.pt

- Aero Vip, a domestic Portuguese airline, www.aerovip.pt, processes online credit card payments through PayPal and does not code as travel

- Strandfaraskip, the major operator of ferries and busses within the Faroe Islands (well, as major as anything Faroese can be) www.ssl.fo does not code as travel either online or card present transactions

- Linda Line, an operator of boat service between Helsinki and Tallinn, does not code as travel either online at lindaline.fi or lindaline.ee nor in person from their ticket office in Tallinn. I have not tried their ticket office in Helsinki, don't know how that one codes.

- Hertz (yes, the car rental company) in Brunei. It's operated by a licensee that does not code as travel.
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:45 am

Portugal

I just got back from Portugal and the train tickets I bought to travel between Porto/Lisbon nor the metro tickets I bought in either city were coded as travel. I contacted chase and the train tickets were coded as equipment rental and the both cities metro tickets were coded as legal services?!

Has anyone had success arguing further with Chase or should I just let it go?
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:53 am
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by green09000 View Post
.... metro tickets were coded as legal services...
It is not unusual for municipal transit systems to code as some variant of Government Services because they use the same merchant account for everything. Card issuers have no control over merchant coding.
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, HH Silver
I just got back from Portugal and the train tickets I bought to travel between Porto/Lisbon nor the metro tickets I bought in either city were coded as travel. I contacted chase and the train tickets were coded as equipment rental and the both cities metro tickets were coded as legal services?!

Is it worth your time? I mean, a few dozens of dollars in train and metro tickets, I presume... If it was a large amount or some place you go back to over and over, sure, pursue it... But for at most a couple hundred points, it's not worth arguing with them. And it's not Chase's fault that the merchant are coded incorrectly. My opinion.

I have also found that Singapore MRT (their metro) does not code as travel and only earns 1x. I spend maybe $10/year on Singapore metro tickets, not worth pursuing those points.
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:59 am
Community Director

I have on small charges and not on big charges. I paid for a cruise. The cruise line listed themselves as a ship brokerage company and it did not qualify. It didn't matter what I provided as documentation to show that their business was cruises, I had no success. I was told to contact the company and ask them to correct their business classification. I did so. I did get the cruise company to rebate the amount that I said the UR points were worth to me. Re the small charges, this was last month. I had a restaurant and a ferry ride not code properly. It went to their research department. I got a letter saying that I would receive the points.
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles View Post
But for at most a couple hundred points, it's not worth arguing with them. And it's not Chase's fault that the merchant are coded incorrectly. My opinion
Agree. Itís about $200 so not enough to invest lots of time in it but enough that I sent a message to Chase, and made me curious as to others situations.
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Thx for this. I'll be in Lisbon in a couple of months - you've saved me from being mildly annoyed later
Old Jul 11, 18, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by tenant13 View Post
Thx for this. I'll be in Lisbon in a couple of months - you've saved me from being mildly annoyed later
Glad something good could come of it!

Just to update Chase did give me the extra points as a courtesy.

Last edited by philemer; Jul 11, 18 at 10:12 pm
Old Jul 15, 18, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Road Scholar arranges wonderful trips oriented towards seniors, and this is their only activity, but Chase will not award 3x points for their trips as travel.
Old Jul 15, 18, 5:19 pm
mia
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator: American Express, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; HH Gold
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
.... Chase will not award 3x points for their trips as travel.
This is controlled by the merchant, not by Chase. The explanation is here:

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-c...points-mcc.php

....Road Scholar is classified as a “school,” not a travel services company. Road Scholar agrees.

“Our merchant code is educational, thus it’s possible that these folks would not be able to earn 3 percent for traveling with us,” Road Scholar spokeswoman Rachel Valenzuela-Castillo said in an email.
Old Jul 15, 18, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Cool, I knew the reason but hadn’t seen the credit card dotcom article!
Old Aug 1, 18, 3:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP HHonors Gold DL MS
Don't remember what I was booking but it was something travel related - I was not awarded the 3x UR points but when I called Chase they did award my 3x UR points for that one transaction which was just the deposit but when it came to paying the balance they would not budge. It is all about that merchant code.

Search this Thread