Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Ink Business Preferred- Cell Phone Protection Plan. Experiences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ink Business Preferred- Cell Phone Protection Plan. Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jnagar
Any experiences with phones that are purchased under a carrier's purchase plan? Specifically, I just got a Pixel 4 under a promo. I paid $100 or so up front. Every month I'm "paying" $33 for the phone, and receiving a $33 promotional credit toward the phone (net $0 cost each month). I wonder (and don't suppose anybody has exactly the same situation to report on, but would appreciate any data points) whether they'd cover the phone at the 24 months * $33 + $100 ($892), or whether they'd be looking to deny the phone cost me $892. Anybody with ANYthing similar to report on??
I’ve had two claims for cell phones under the Ink policy and while neither were on payment/promo plans, the insurer never asked for a purchase receipt. They asked for a repair or replacement estimate. So my guess is if your promo phone,say, has irreversible water damage then the documentation you send would say it’s X amount to replace and you would receive that amount minus $100 deductible. And you’d keep paying the promo cost (or whatever). Perhaps someone with actual experience can weigh in, but I don’t think it matters.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:13 am

Originally Posted by cheapdad00
I confirm that this was the case. Had another claim for my daughters phone (this time on my Chase Ink as I switched account to my card). Water damage on old phone. Original cost of $749, replacement cost of $749, claim paid $600 (749-100 = 649, max claim is 600). All the phones are in my name.
What makes a phone not repairable? Water damage should still be repairable right?

I much rather put the credit towards a new phone if I had the choice.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Had a successful claim recently. Water damage to iPhone 6 w/ ATT service. Used the damage report form they sent me (Apple store filled it out). I was reimbursed for the "replacement cost" ($299) minus the $100 deductible, so received $199. I opted to purchase a newer model (and more expensive) phone. I will say that the claim sat there for over a month with no response until I inquired. Then resolved in a few days. Overall a good experience.
So you actually are not required to proceed with the repair, for Chase to reimburse you?
I thought they need the receipt of the amount you "paid" for the actual repair.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Alan Lun
What makes a phone not repairable? Water damage should still be repairable right?

I much rather put the credit towards a new phone if I had the choice.
You can cash the check and spend it on whatever you want.

So you actually are not required to proceed with the repair, for Chase to reimburse you?
They need the authorized repair estimate.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton, Priority Club, USAir, American Express Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rew, United
My husband pays his cell phone bill with his ink preferred every month. He purchased the phone up front from AT&T and has had it probably 2 years. The sound is barely working now, he has to put all calls on speaker phone to hear the caller. This happened to my phone a few years ago and I had to get a new phone. So, would the insurance pay for repair or replacement of the phone when the sound quits working. He is rough on the phone, has a good case though. He can't say he dropped it and it all of a sudden quit working. Thanks for any help with this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Carter29072
My husband pays his cell phone bill with his ink preferred every month. He purchased the phone up front from AT&T and has had it probably 2 years. The sound is barely working now, he has to put all calls on speaker phone to hear the caller. This happened to my phone a few years ago and I had to get a new phone. So, would the insurance pay for repair or replacement of the phone when the sound quits working. He is rough on the phone, has a good case though. He can't say he dropped it and it all of a sudden quit working. Thanks for any help with this.
Read their terms closely. I think malfunction or age are not covered. Damage is covered. So for example dead pixels showing up randomly are not covered but a bent or dropped phone that caused dead pixels is. My son’s WiFi stopped working on his phone but everything else worked fine. Not covered according to terms. If the phone had water damage which in turn messed up WiFi, it would be covered. This might be the time for some creativity.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:23 pm

Sorry. I didn't see this before. I only sent the repair estimate to Chase. And no I did not have to proceed with the repair.
Old May 5, 2020, 6:25 pm

I'd like to pay $20 of my ATT bill with my Amex Plat for the next few months. How would Chase handle a claim for a phone on a policy that was paid, say, $200 on the CIP and $20 on Amex?
Old May 5, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I wouldn't risk it. Not sure how close they look at the actual bill though. Do you feel lucky? What's the benefit of paying a small amt with an AMEX card?
Old May 5, 2020, 7:40 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
What's the benefit of paying a small amt with an AMEX card?
Temporary credit: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...y-bonuses.html
Old May 5, 2020, 7:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
I'd like to pay $20 of my ATT bill with my Amex Plat for the next few months. How would Chase handle a claim for a phone on a policy that was paid, say, $200 on the CIP and $20 on Amex?
The terms say you need to pay the whole billon the ink preferred.

https://www.chasebenefits.com/inkpreferred2

Copy of Your cellular service provider billing statement
demonstrating that the entire monthly payment for the cellular service provider bill was made the month prior to the date of damage or theft and has been paid with Your Account

im in the same boat, but I’m switching the whole payment to my plat. I wouldn’t pay $20 a month for cell phone insurance.
mia and alvinroast like this.
Old May 7, 2020, 4:59 pm

Experiences with cellphone insurance on Chase cards

Hi All -

I'm interested in any experiences with claims for cellphone insurance coverage. I have both the Chase Ink and Chase IHG cards which have protections. They both differ in terms of some coverages and costs but I'm interested in people's experiences that have had to file a claim. I realize the INK gets 5x on bills but I'm really just interested in specific experiences with claims from either card. Thanks!
Old May 9, 2020, 12:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please follow the redirect as we send this thread to the Chase UR forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old May 9, 2020, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
Hi All -

I'm interested in any experiences with claims for cellphone insurance coverage. I have both the Chase Ink and Chase IHG cards which have protections. They both differ in terms of some coverages and costs but I'm interested in people's experiences that have had to file a claim. I realize the INK gets 5x on bills but I'm really just interested in specific experiences with claims from either card. Thanks!
For starters, I'm not sure which card you're asking about. The no-annual-fee Ink Cash gets 5x UR on cell phone bills but does NOT have the insurance benefit. Ink Preferred gets 3x UR on cell phone bills, has the insurance, but costs $95/year. I wouldn't get that card solely for the phone insurance.
Old May 11, 2020, 5:52 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
I'm trying to do this too, but don't want to lose my phone insurance. There are some data points on DOC that Verizon gift cards work, but the smallest increment is $25.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.