Wiki Posts
Search

Sapphire and Hurricane Harvey

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by LizGross144
I don't understand why you consider the automatic payment to be pre-paying. It would be deducted from your checking account on the statement due date, which is 25 days after the statement closes (in the interest-free period).

The amount would be your minimum payment...a small amount compared to whatever you charge.
OK..So whats' the minimum payment for someone with a huge variation in their spend each month. And then I have to figure out the difference between the autodebit and the actual amount owed for the 9 of 10 months when I want to pay off my entire balance.

I get it, some people don't do what I do for work. Heck they don't travel, they don't work for external clients. They're always in the USA. I just need a grace period between interest free and card suspension that is more than 5 or so days.

Bonus demerits to Chase for not accounting for the fact that people have been trapped in a house with no mail service, no access to Chase branches, no internet, and intermittent phone service for a friggin' week.

Maybe Sapphire should just say "for the people that want to autopay'. And if you can't understand why I don't just go online, how about you start putting your financial info on a Ukrainian or Nigerian computer system?

What I'd like is 30 days from the time the statement gets to my house before they cut off my card. That's not until late fees get imposed, that's until they cut the card off.

Sapphire goes from interest free to suspended in 5 or so days. That's a very small window for a premium card.

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Aug 31, 2017 at 8:45 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:56 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by TominLazybrook
OK..So whats' the minimum payment for someone with a huge variation in their spend each month. And then I have to figure out the difference between the autodebit and the actual amount owed for the 9 of 10 months when I want to pay off my entire balance.

I get it, some people don't do what I do for work. Heck they don't travel, they don't work for external clients. They're always in the USA. I just need a grace period between interest free and card suspension that is more than 5 or so days.

Bonus demerits to Chase for not accounting for the fact that people have been trapped in a house with no mail service, no access to Chase branches, no internet, and intermittent phone service for a friggin' week.

Maybe Sapphire should just say "for the people that want to autopay'. And if you can't understand why I don't just go online, how about you start putting your financial info on a Ukrainian or Nigerian computer system?
Maybe this will work out better for you:

Prepaid Puts You in Charge

With Netspend®, you get a convenient way to manage your money on a prepaid card that is packed with features plus you can get your government payments 2 days faster.

Signing up is simple, because there’s:
No credit check
No activation fee
No minimum balances

Be one of the first 200 callers and you can even choose your color.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Brief synopsis for those late to the thread:

- Customer fails to make payment.

- Chase suspends account.

- Customer blames Chase.

- Customer posts "DYKWIA" thread on FT.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Sep 1, 2017 at 7:45 am Reason: Spelling
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by flyershmlyer
4. Banks are usually proactive during natural disasters by advertising removal of fees etc. Good PR for them. Chase could've done the same.
Chase is doing this. If the OP wants to check his email, I got an email from them this morning that they are waiving service fees, late fees, you name it on bank accounts, credit card accounts until Sept. 10th. The email also says they're instituting a 90 day grace period on mortgages and HELOCs. Obviously I don't know how widely this email was sent, or if it was sent to just customers with their Chase address in a Harvey affected county.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:41 pm

OP has a bunch of arrogance about their travel. Look up where my location airport is. I'm there nine months of the year, I use CSP and manage to get it paid every month without a problem.

I'm sorry about your circumstances with Harvey, but your situation was set up long before Harvey hit.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Brief synopsis for those late to the thread:

- Customer fails to make payment.

- Chase suspends account.

- Customer blames Chase.

- Customer posts "DKYWIA" thread on FT.
----

Chase lies about Harvey response.

Having a card with a period from interest free to completely shut off of 5 days is hard to manage when you're trapped in place for multiple days with no internet, limited cell phone use, no mail and no Chase branches open around you for a week.

Gotta go to bed now. I have to clean out wet drywall tomorrow before it gets to hot.

Here's hoping you don't ever get your card cut off 32 days after having a credit balance in a massive disaster area by Chase. Maybe I should have waded through 20 foot raging water to find internet so I could pay my bill in the 5 day grace period.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Chase is doing this. If the OP wants to check his email, I got an email from them this morning that they are waiving service fees, late fees, you name it on bank accounts, credit card accounts until Sept. 10th. The email also says they're instituting a 90 day grace period on mortgages and HELOCs. Obviously I don't know how widely this email was sent, or if it was sent to just customers with their Chase address in a Harvey affected county.
I called Chase and they confirmed they DID NOT do this for me. Oopsie they said. You need to call for it.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Productivity
OP has a bunch of arrogance about their travel. Look up where my location airport is. I'm there nine months of the year, I use CSP and manage to get it paid every month without a problem.

I'm sorry about your circumstances with Harvey, but your situation was set up long before Harvey hit.
There's a 5 day grace period. That's it. Prep for a Cat 4 hurricane and being in a disaster chewed that completely up. 32 days from a credit balance to completely suspended?

Maybe you have a secure connection in Kazakhstan. I frequently don't. Furthermore, are you in different places every month? Its not so simple.

Last edited by TominLazybrook; Aug 31, 2017 at 10:05 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Maybe this will work out better for you:

Prepaid Puts You in Charge

With Netspend®, you get a convenient way to manage your money on a prepaid card that is packed with features plus you can get your government payments 2 days faster.

Signing up is simple, because there’s:
No credit check
No activation fee
No minimum balances

Be one of the first 200 callers and you can even choose your color.

Actually, Chase Sapphire appears to have a grace period little better than that card. All for a big fat annual fee.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
You can use the multi-quote option to combine multiple responses into one post by the way.

I get it, you're upset based on previous spend activity and being an overall good customer. What I'm confused about is your responses to the auto-pay suggestions. You mention "how much should I pay?". With auto pay you select whether you want to automatically pay the full balance (which is variable as discussed) or the Chase imposed minimum payment. The minimum payment, which, if I recall correctly is always the same and around $25 (no guesswork required and is a good fall back option for situations like this).

I have auto pay on all my credit card accounts. However, I always log in and just pay off the bill. As mentioned, the auto pay gives me peace of mind just in case I forget.
jjmiller69 likes this.

Last edited by JHake10; Aug 31, 2017 at 10:43 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JHake10
You can use the multi-quote option to combine multiple responses into one post by the way.

I get it, you're upset based on previous spend activity and being an overall good customer. What I'm confused about is your responses to the auto-pay suggestions. You mention "how much should I pay?". With auto pay you select whether you want to automatically pay the full balance (which is variable as discussed) or the Chase imposed minimum payment. The minimum payment, which, if I recall correctly is always the same and around $25 (no guesswork required and is a good fall back option for situations like this).
Actually there was a credit balance of more than that on my CSP at the beginning of my cycle. My minimum payment fluctuates. I sometimes spend quite a bit in any given month. Although last month's balance was nowhere near my credit limit.

I just think its rather shocking that CSP has a grace period similar to a vending machine credit card, would rigorously enforce those tight credit parameters to people who have no way of complying with them due to a major natural disaster lasting days, and would completely not abide by their Harvey PR statement.

I've said my piece. Here's hoping that none of y'all need to depend on Chase Sapphire Preferred when you're in a natural disaster and your payment period gets chewed up by a week long 'internet and/or cell phone hindered' scenario.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by JHake10

I have auto pay on all my credit card accounts. However, I always log in and just pay off the bill. As mentioned, the auto pay gives me peace of mind just in case I forget.
+1

OP I was on your side, but you're taking too far. Your travel and spend pattern is hardly unique amongst flyertalkers. and they have given you the best possible solution out there. Take it as you will.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your credit balance at the beginning of the billing cycle is USED UP by the charges in current billing cycle therefore it IS IRREVALENT, UNLESS you still have a credit balance at the closing of this current billing cycle. Obviously you don't. So harping on that only to show utter ignorance on how credit and charges work that is just basic math really.

Autopsy is very simple and your argument on not knowing the exact amount does not stand - it seems to me most of your charges are reimbursable charges so you don't really have own fund or not willing to use own fund to pay the minimum payment first. That is Your Own Problam, not Chase.

No idea why you do not receive an email on Harvey relief, may be because your account is ALREADY DELINQUENT, so the system automatically exclude it.

Really all your complaints are stemmed from your lack of understanding on how things work AND you don't want to use your own fund to even pay the minimum payment which definitely is NOT prepaid but just the minimum payment on what you have already charged.

BTW logging in from Eastern Europe or wherever to pay your cards does NOT expose your payment accounts. Your travel pattern is hardly unique among people on this board.

FWIW I paid cards even from Internet cafes before mobile is prevailing. Never have any issue over decades of travel.

Your lack of own funds or not willing to use your own funds to pay before getting reimbursement is your biggest issue that leads to your gripe.

Actually there was a credit balance of more than that on my CSP at the beginning of my cycle. My minimum payment fluctuates. I sometimes spend quite a bit in any given month. Although last month's balance was nowhere near my credit limit.

I just think its rather shocking that CSP has a grace period similar to a vending machine credit card, would rigorously enforce those tight credit parameters to people who have no way of complying with them due to a major natural disaster lasting days, and would completely not abide by their Harvey PR statement.

I've said my piece. Here's hoping that none of y'all need to depend on Chase Sapphire Preferred when you're in a natural disaster and your payment period gets chewed up by a week long 'internet and/or cell phone hindered' scenario.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 1, 2017 at 3:29 am
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:46 am

It sounds as if you have been through some very trying times. I am sorry that you are experiencing such stress in your life. You have been given some good advice on the auto pay. Perhaps when you are experiencing a calmer time in your life, you will be able to reconsider the idea of auto pay. I wish you well.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:44 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
OK..So whats' the minimum payment for someone with a huge variation in their spend each month.
The Minimum Payment is based on your statement balance, and the amount you are required to pay is shown on the statement. Here is the formula:

Minimum Payment: We will calculate the minimum payment as the larger of: 1) $25 (or total amount you owe if less than $25); or 2) the sum of 1% of the new balance, the periodic interest charges, and late fees we have billed you on the statement for which your minimum payment is calculated.
The Automatic Payment feature is flexible. You can set it to pay the full statement balance -or- the minimum payment due as shown on the statement. You do not need to figure out the difference between the autodebit and the actual amount owed. If you make a manual payment before the automatic payment is processed the automatic payment is reduced by the same amount. For example, if your Minimum Payment is $50, and you pay $400, Chase will not take another $50. This is a really simple and genuinely useful feature which would have prevented the exact problem which you have experienced.
JHake10 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.