Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chase rule: only one Sapphire card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by travelsg
Does it matter when to cancel the CS card?
Why the rush/preference to cancel vs do a PC to a Freedom?

2-3 Freedoms using only one quarter could net 22.5K URs.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
Why do you both have the same cards? Why not make one spouse an authorized user on the other's card? That would reduce your combined annual fees. Both spouses would still get their own Priority Pass cards.

RNE, awaiting enlightenment.
At a minimum, the answer could just be signup bonuses. My wife and I fly Alaska. With the new Alaska lounge rules not allowing guests with the CSR PP, that was a small bit of reason why we both got CSRs. But we will both drop/PC the CSP when AF comes due.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by RNE
Why do you both have the same cards? Why not make one spouse an authorized user on the other's card? That would reduce your combined annual fees. Both spouses would still get their own Priority Pass cards.

RNE, awaiting enlightenment.
My wife and I both got our own CSR too. The annual fee is actually cheaper than CSP.

CSP $95 for 2 cards
CSR $450 x 2 - $300 x 2 travel credit end of 2016 - $300 x 2 travel credit beginning of 2017 - $100 x 2 GE credit = net earning $500 for 1st year.

Last edited by Need; Aug 30, 2017 at 3:14 pm
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by 9Benua
My wife & I have both the CSP & CSR. Lucky
Same in my household.

Originally Posted by RNE
Why do you both have the same cards?
For the combined 300K signup bonus, of course. The CSP annual fee is waived the 1st year, so it wasn't a difficult call. We'll be downgrading one CSR after the annual fee hits and we (quickly) use the 2nd year $300 travel credit.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Originally Posted by mhdena
Why the rush/preference to cancel vs do a PC to a Freedom?

2-3 Freedoms using only one quarter could net 22.5K URs.
Already have Freedom card...

Besides, the CS just sit in the drawer collecting dust... didn't have any reason to cancel it, since there is no AF... Not any more...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by travelsg
Already have Freedom card...

Besides, the CS just sit in the drawer collecting dust... didn't have any reason to cancel it, since there is no AF... Not any more...
Many of us have more than one Freedom.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:07 pm

In my case this new rule might have opened a window of opportunity. I was about to get down to 4/24 in May 2018, apply for CSR and ditch CSP (or the opposite). But my CSP bonus will be 24 months old in February 2019 so I have a long time to think about whether to forego the bonus and PC upgrade to CSR or downgrade CSP to FU and then apply for CSR. In the meantime however I would have gone down to 3/24 since I was approved for Ink Preferred in January 2017. Which makes me think that I might as well get another card now and take advantage of something like the limited offer of 60k AA miles on Aviator Red. That would temporarily take me up to 6/24 but then down again to 4/24 in February 2019 - more or less at the time when my CSP bonus "matures". With my original plan I would have to miss it since the offer expires at the end of November. Does it make sense?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by tenant13
In my case this new rule might have opened a window of opportunity. I was about to get down to 4/24 in May 2018, apply for CSR and ditch CSP (or the opposite). But my CSP bonus will be 24 months old in February 2019 so I have a long time to think about whether to forego the bonus and PC upgrade to CSR or downgrade CSP to FU and then apply for CSR. In the meantime however I would have gone down to 3/24 since I was approved for Ink Preferred in January 2017. Which makes me think that I might as well get another card now and take advantage of something like the limited offer of 60k AA miles on Aviator Red. That would temporarily take me up to 6/24 but then down again to 4/24 in February 2019 - more or less at the time when my CSP bonus "matures". With my original plan I would have to miss it since the offer expires at the end of November. Does it make sense?
Yes, assuming nothing changes, but I wouldn't make any decisions today based on what you think will be the available deal a year and a half from now.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by TechBBBFan
Yes, assuming nothing changes, but I wouldn't make any decisions today based on what you think will be the available deal a year and a half from now.
Good point. Who is to say that a year from now 5/24 won't suddenly change to 1/12? CSR may shed its signup bonus or increase it....

Last edited by tenant13; Aug 31, 2017 at 5:40 am
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:24 am
RNE

Originally Posted by Ratamacue
Same in my household.

For the combined 300K signup bonus, of course. The CSP annual fee is waived the 1st year, so it wasn't a difficult call. We'll be downgrading one CSR after the annual fee hits and we (quickly) use the 2nd year $300 travel credit.
Originally Posted by Need
My wife and I both got our own CSR too. The annual fee is actually cheaper than CSP.

CSP $95 for 2 cards
CSR $450 x 2 - $300 x 2 travel credit end of 2016 - $300 x 2 travel credit beginning of 2017 - $100 x 2 GE credit = net earning $500 for 1st year.
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
At a minimum, the answer could just be signup bonuses. My wife and I fly Alaska. With the new Alaska lounge rules not allowing guests with the CSR PP, that was a small bit of reason why we both got CSRs. But we will both drop/PC the CSP when AF comes due.
I failed to ask my question correctly. I understand why a married couple would both get the CSP and CSR cards. Indeed, my wife and I did that very thing. But that was then and this is now. As annual fees hit, we consolidated to just one CSR card for both of us. Thus paying $450+75(the AU fee*)-300=$225 annual fee. I was wondering if there was something I missed, if somehow my strategy was flawed. No?

*Been over 30 days now and no $75 authorized user fee has hit. Is that billed when the user is added or included in a $525 annual fee?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 7:55 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TechBBBFan
Agreed, the Prestige's is even better, but the 3 hours isn't that useful to me over 6....
This isn't strictly a 3 vs 6 comparison, it's about delays of 3, 4, 5, 5:30, or 5:59 hours which would be covered by Citi, but not by Chase.

Last edited by mia; Aug 31, 2017 at 8:06 am
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by RNE
I failed to ask my question correctly. I understand why a married couple would both get the CSP and CSR cards. Indeed, my wife and I did that very thing. But that was then and this is now. As annual fees hit, we consolidated to just one CSR card for both of us. Thus paying $450+75(the AU fee*)-300=$225 annual fee. I was wondering if there was something I missed, if somehow my strategy was flawed. No?

*Been over 30 days now and no $75 authorized user fee has hit. Is that billed when the user is added or included in a $525 annual fee?
It will probably hit tomorrow. The annual fee for Chase card seems to always hit on the 1st of the following month.

I was going to get the CSP for her and get the 50K, but now that won't be happening. I am cancelling her CSR for sure. Just not sure if I should get her as the authorized user on my CSR.

I could just cancel both of our CSR and get CSP for us. I only used priority pass once in the last 12 months. I will be checking for other alternatives.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by mia
This isn't strictly a 3 vs 6 comparison, it's about delays of 3, 4, 5, 5:30, or 5:59 hours which would be covered by Citi, but not by Chase.
No, I get it, but my point is that I wouldn't bother with a hotel room for anything under 6 (if I had a 5:30 delay, I'd just hang out at the airport lounge if there was one, or otherwise, just sit tight). It would be nice to cover dinner, but it's not something that's essential to me.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:15 am

It will probably hit tomorrow. The annual fee for Chase card seems to always hit on the 1st of the following month.

I was going to get the CSP for her and get the 50K, but now that won't be happening. I am cancelling her CSR for sure. Just not sure if I should get her as the authorized user on my CSR.

I could just cancel both of our CSR and get CSP for us. I only used priority pass once in the last 12 months. I will be checking for other alternatives.
Just get a duplicate card for your wife (that's what I did). Yes, she doesn't get her own priority pass, but unless she's traveling without you, it doesn't matter. My wife uses my duplicate out at restaurants all the time, and not once has anyone ever said anything. If they did, she'll just show her driver's license showing the same last name and say it's her husband's. The way I see it, there's no real reason to pay the AU fee unless the person could take advantage of the Global Entry reimbursement for the first year.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:48 am
RNE

Good thoughts. We dine out and travel a lot, so a 3-point UR card is a keeper for us. However, we never use Priority Pass, at least not yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.