New Chase rule: only one Sapphire card

Old Aug 31, 2017, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by RNE
Good thoughts. We dine out and travel a lot, so a 3-point UR card is a keeper for us. However, we never use Priority Pass, at least not yet.
If it's more travel than dining, the Ink Preferred also earns 3x on travel, for only $95/yr.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:04 am
RNE

Originally Posted by penner42
If it's more travel than dining, the Ink Preferred also earns 3x on travel, for only $95/yr.
Need a business to get an Ink.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:34 am

If one downgrades/switches the CSP:

1) Does this count as a "new" account in terms of the 5/24?
2) Does it matter if you downgrade/switch to the CS (no-fee Chase Sapphire) or Chase Freedom card? I'm guessing either one would keep your UR points, but possibly the CS card prevents you from getting the CSP card in 2 years (you'd have to cancel it anway, right?), so better off to switch to the Freedom card, if they let you , and it keeps your UR points, and it doesn't count as a new account for 5/24 purposes?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:12 am

Has anyone Actually tried applying for a second Sapphire card?

It would be interesting to see if it actually does prevent you from applying online... I know the wording is up.. but I still have the apply button listed...
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:25 am

Some what off topic. has anyone pc'd from freedom to FU? Id be giving up the small bonus but wouldn't have to run my credit.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by TechBBBFan
Just get a duplicate card for your wife (that's what I did). Yes, she doesn't get her own priority pass, but unless she's traveling without you, it doesn't matter. My wife uses my duplicate out at restaurants all the time, and not once has anyone ever said anything. If they did, she'll just show her driver's license showing the same last name and say it's her husband's. The way I see it, there's no real reason to pay the AU fee unless the person could take advantage of the Global Entry reimbursement for the first year.
The AU fee does not cover a 2nd GE reimbursement. My friend tried it. You do get the AU priority pass though.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 12:51 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
Originally Posted by hurnik
If one downgrades/switches the CSP:

1) Does this count as a "new" account in terms of the 5/24?
2) Does it matter if you downgrade/switch to the CS (no-fee Chase Sapphire) or Chase Freedom card? I'm guessing either one would keep your UR points, but possibly the CS card prevents you from getting the CSP card in 2 years (you'd have to cancel it anway, right?), so better off to switch to the Freedom card, if they let you , and it keeps your UR points, and it doesn't count as a new account for 5/24 purposes?
1) I don't think so. When I downgraded my card, the account number remained the same. No hard/soft pull, no nothing.
2) make sense. I already have a Freedom card. In light of this rule change, I'm intending to cancel my CS.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:21 pm

Any guesses if you can be an AU of a Sapphire card and still apply for a Sapphire card? Is an AU a cardmember?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 4:56 pm
mia
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend; Moderator: American Express, Capital One, Citi, Chase, Credit Card Programs, Diners Club, Signatures

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by Troopers
Any guesses
My guess is that Authorized Users are eligible to open accounts in their own name, earn bonuses, etc because that's industry norm.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by jep8821
It would be interesting to see if it actually does prevent you from applying online... I know the wording is up.. but I still have the apply button listed...
It only prevents you from being approved. If you have no income, a previous bankruptcy, and a 450 credit score, you're still free to hit the apply button. Same concept.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Need
The AU fee does not cover a 2nd GE reimbursement. My friend tried it. You do get the AU priority pass though.
Interesting. That makes the AU fee completely a waste. The additional Priority Pass is not worth $75/year, in my opinion.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:13 am
RNE

Originally Posted by briang191
Some what off topic. has anyone pc'd from freedom to FU? Id be giving up the small bonus but wouldn't have to run my credit.
15,000 points is a small bonus?

Originally Posted by mia
My guess is that Authorized Users are eligible to open accounts in their own name, earn bonuses, etc because that's industry norm.
So far, AUs are eligible to open their own accounts, but any bank could change that on a whim.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RNE
Are you going to keep both the CSP and CSR cards? If so, what's your thinking on this?

Why do you both have the same cards? Why not make one spouse an authorized user on the other's card? That would reduce your combined annual fees. Both spouses would still get their own Priority Pass cards.

RNE, awaiting enlightenment.
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
At a minimum, the answer could just be signup bonuses. My wife and I fly Alaska. With the new Alaska lounge rules not allowing guests with the CSR PP, that was a small bit of reason why we both got CSRs. But we will both drop/PC the CSP when AF comes due.

As others have mentioned, for the bonus of course. We're not planning to keep both CSP & CSR after 1 year. I prefer to re-apply them 24 months later to get the bonus again. The only fee paying card I kept are the hotel cards (IHG, Hyatt, Marriott) and citi AA (since they keep re-imbursing my annual fee)

My question: Why do you guys need to downgrade CSP or CSR to freedom instead of closing it? I have a freedom card, I don't need another one. I rarely use my freedom card outside their 5% category. I prefer to close, since I need the spot & credit limit for other chase cards. Do I miss anything?
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:35 am
RNE

Originally Posted by 9Benua
My question: Why do you guys need to downgrade CSP or CSR to freedom instead of closing it? I have a freedom card, I don't need another one. I rarely use my freedom card outside their 5% category. I prefer to close, since I need the spot & credit limit for other chase cards. Do I miss anything?
Having additional Freedom cards allows us to take advantage of the 5% category spend to a higher dollar limit. Example: Our three cards gives us 5% on up to $4500.00 spend.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by TechBBBFan
Interesting. That makes the AU fee completely a waste. The additional Priority Pass is not worth $75/year, in my opinion.
It's still cheaper than $450 - $300 - $100/4.

Also, in some situation, AU can not get their own.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.