Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chase rule: only one Sapphire card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:23 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
They're trying to incentivize people to pay the annual fee to keep the CSR for the second year. If you cancel, you can't get another Sapphire product for 12-14 months, depending upon when the bonus posted.
It still seems counterproductive... for every FTer who decides to keep the CSR knowing s/he can't get it back, they'll probably have 5 "regular" customers who cancel, get told they can't have it back, get angry, and sign up with Citi or AmEx instead.

Originally Posted by briang191
Is it possible to pc from CSP > Freedom?
It definitely was a year ago when I got the CSR and downgraded my CSP to Freedom. They offered me Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, and the no-longer-offered "regular" Sapphire card to downgrade. It should still be the same.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
..."regular" customers who cancel, get told they can't have it back, get angry, and sign up with Citi or AmEx instead.
I would imagine that the phone reps are now trained, more likely required, to inform CSR customers calling to cancel that they can't have another Sapphire product before they actually proceed to cancel the card.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:35 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
They're trying to incentivize people to pay the annual fee to keep the CSR for the second year....
That's too nuanced. The policy is too new to have that effect. I think it's simply designed to prevent cardholders from cycling between Reserve and Preferred while collecting bonuses.

Originally Posted by ridgebackpilot
...it's really a $150 AF card. And you can make that up easily in UR benefits alone.
Yes, it's really a $150 card, it's a Sapphire Preferred Plus, but whether its worthwhile depends on the other cards you use. Sapphire Reserve offers nothing that isn't available elsewhere (usually at lower cost), but for some it will strike the right balance. If Chase wants this to be seen as a high end card they need to be adding benefits and offering generous retention bonuses now, and raising the cost next year, but perhaps they spent their entire marketing budget on the initial rollout.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 7:39 am
Suspended

My wife & I have both the CSP & CSR. Lucky
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pallhedge
I would imagine that the phone reps are now trained, more likely required, to inform CSR customers calling to cancel that they can't have another Sapphire product before they actually proceed to cancel the card.
Which would seem to mean. once you cancel the CSR you can never get another one. Surely that can't be right?

Originally Posted by mia
... Sapphire Reserve offers nothing that isn't available elsewhere (usually at lower cost), but for some it will strike the right balance. ...
I earn 3x on travel expenses, and redeem at 1.5x on travel; I get $300 credit for travel. If there's another card that does that, I'm all ears.
txpenny likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Which would seem to mean. once you cancel the CSR you can never get another one. Surely that can't be right?

I earn 3x on travel expenses, and redeem at 1.5x on travel; I get $300 credit for travel. If there's another card that does that, I'm all ears.
No, it means you cannot get another one until 24 months after your last Sapphire bonus posted.
SpammersAreScum likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 9:57 am

Am I reading/interpreting the new rules correctly?

I had a CSP card (over 2 years ago, got the bonus points, then a year later downgraded to the no-fee Chase Sapphire card). I also have the Chase Freedom card (many years ago).

So, I'm eligible for the 5/24 rule upcoming in May of 2018.

If I read/interpret the rules correctly I cannot apply and get the CSP card in May of 2018 because i already have a Chase Sapphire card?

But if I close the Chase Sapphire card, I *could* apply in May of 2018 for the CSP and get the bonus (since right now it's already been over 24 months since I got the last bonus, but I'm currently over 5/24 right now)?

(It's not like Citi where it's 24 months from when you closed the account).
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by hurnik

I had a CSP card (over 2 years ago, got the bonus points, then a year later downgraded to the no-fee Chase Sapphire card). I also have the Chase Freedom card (many years ago).

If I read/interpret the rules correctly I cannot apply and get the CSP card in May of 2018 because i already have a Chase Sapphire card?

But if I close the Chase Sapphire card, I *could* apply in May of 2018 for the CSP and get the bonus (since right now it's already been over 24 months since I got the last bonus, but I'm currently over 5/24 right now)?

Sounds about right.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
No, it means you cannot get another one until 24 months after your last Sapphire bonus posted.
Right, which is the case whether or not you cancel, so why would an agent even mention it when you call to cancel?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by mia
That's too nuanced. The policy is too new to have that effect. I think it's simply designed to prevent cardholders from cycling between Reserve and Preferred while collecting bonuses.

Yes, it's really a $150 card, it's a Sapphire Preferred Plus, but whether its worthwhile depends on the other cards you use. Sapphire Reserve offers nothing that isn't available elsewhere (usually at lower cost), but for some it will strike the right balance. If Chase wants this to be seen as a high end card they need to be adding benefits and offering generous retention bonuses now, and raising the cost next year, but perhaps they spent their entire marketing budget on the initial rollout.
For me, it's a no brainer. I don't care much about the Priority Pass (although I have used it a few times), but the extra point on dining easily makes up the $55 for me. Assuming a point is worth 1.5 cents, I only have to spend $3,700 on dining per year to break even. For me, the 6 hours versus 12 for the trip delay is also key. I often fly red eye. If my 9:00 p.m. flight is canceled, or because of a weather problem, I miss the connecting flight, usually the next flight they can get me on is the first one in the morning. At most airports, that's 6 a.m, which is within the Reserve's delay period but outside of the Preferreds.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:53 am

Sounds about right.
Correct, I'd probably downgrade the Sapphire to the Freedom Unlimited and then apply for the CSR.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:10 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by TechBBBFan
... For me, the 6 hours versus 12 for the trip delay is also key. ...

Originally Posted by Citi Prestige
If a Covered Traveler’s Trip on a Common Carrier is delayed for at least 3 hours, we may reimburse you for expenses incurred because of the delay. You are covered for up to $500 per Covered Traveler, per Trip.
http://i.info4.citi.com/wpm/100164/PDF/Guide11.pdf
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:37 pm

Agreed, the Prestige's is even better, but the 3 hours isn't that useful to me over 6. If my flight is delayed 3 hours, I'm not going to go get a hotel in the meantime. Maybe I'd buy dinner where I ordinarily wouldn't, but that's about it.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:04 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by 9Benua
My wife & I have both the CSP & CSR.
Are you going to keep both the CSP and CSR cards? If so, what's your thinking on this?

Why do you both have the same cards? Why not make one spouse an authorized user on the other's card? That would reduce your combined annual fees. Both spouses would still get their own Priority Pass cards.

RNE, awaiting enlightenment.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: ua S, marriott P, hilton G, ihg P
I'm in similar boat, having a CS (downgraded from CSP yrs ago) but waiting for 5/24.

Does it matter when to cancel the CS card? i.e., any advantage of cancelling it NOW .vs. cancelling it RIGHT BEFORE I apply for a new CSP/R again (which will be next Feb)?

Originally Posted by hurnik

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.