New Chase rule: only one Sapphire card

Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 2 MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Platinum
Well, we knew something like this was coming, right?! Chase has lost so much on the CSR card that they had to find a way to stop the hemorrhage.

Given that change, I decided to product change my CSP into the CSR card. My CPC banker called on my behalf and it took about five minutes in the branch. To avoid another HP on my Experian, I simply moved some credit from my other Chase cards to cover the difference between the $6K SL on my CSP and the required minimum $10K SL on the CSR. The CSR is a VISA Infinite card and has a minimum SL of $10K.

No, I didn't get any bonus UR points but over time, the CSR card makes far more sense for me than the CSP card. If you travel at all on business or pleasure, consider getting the CSR card. Even though it has a higher annual fee than the CSP card, you can easily make up for that each year with better benefits. See this article for more information: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/sho...-csr-over-csp/

According to The Points Guy: "Even though the CSR has a higher annual fee, it easily comes out on top because of its great benefits. But as we’ve seen, even if you don’t include the value of those perks, it still doesn’t take much in the way of annual travel and dining spend for the CSR to make sense, even at $450 per year."

The ability to PC cards and move SL around among cards is one of many reasons that I like Chase.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by ridgebackpilot
product change my CSP into the CSR card.
How AF & anniversary work in your case? $450 today for CSR and prorated refund CSP?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Pretty sure that's still allowed.
Changing cards sounded allowed from the source link, but you had posted about the PC option being 'dead too' (See quote of your earlier post). Did you mean only with respect to sign up bonuses?

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Troopers, in post #5 , quoted the actual language from Chase T&C which means the PC option is dead too. It says:

"The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card, or (ii) previous cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card who received a new cardmember bonus within the last 24 months."
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by khlay
How AF & anniversary work in your case? $450 today for CSR and prorated refund CSP?
Not certain but I believe that's how they'll handle it.

Honestly I'm not too concerned about the AF on the CSR. With the $300 in travel credit annually, it's really a $150 AF card. And you can make that up easily in UR benefits alone.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
Changing cards sounded allowed from the source link, but you had posted about the PC option being 'dead too' (See quote of your earlier post). Did you mean only with respect to sign up bonuses?
Yes.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 1:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lss250
The memo refers specifically to no eligibility for 24 months after closing an account,...
Careful! As DoC points out
On the other hand, Chase’s rule is easier than Citi’s in the sense that closing or downgrading a card won’t reset the 24 months clock for the bonus.
Unlike Barclay and Citi, when you close Chase still uses the clock started at date of last bonus.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I'm keeping my CSR for at least another year. My 165K+ UR makes it worth paying a net AF of $150 again.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by ridgebackpilot
...I decided to product change my CSP into the CSR card...
May I ask how long have you had your CSP?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by khlay
When I did a PC from CSP to Freedom Unlimited, they prorated the $95 (due April) for 6 months (PC on October) and refunded $47.50.

So I am guessing it would be the same PC from CSP to CSR. Prorated CSP and fully charging the $450 on CSR.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:07 pm

Is it possible to pc from CSP > Freedom?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by briang191
Is it possible to pc from CSP > Freedom?
I'm not sure if you can do it directly. In my case I pc'd to a regular Sapphire and the a couple of weeks later to a Freedom card. So if it comes back no there are other options.
Just above your post someone went from CSP>FU card.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by pallhedge
May I ask how long have you had your CSP?
Just over a year-and-a-half, since December 2015.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
I'm not sure if you can do it directly. In my case I pc'd to a regular Sapphire and the a couple of weeks later to a Freedom card. So if it comes back no there are other options.
Just above your post someone went from CSP>FU card.
thank you.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
I got the CSR back in Nov 2016 with the 100k bonus and luckily just a few weeks ago I got the CSP. I went back and forth about getting the CSP or another SWA card, so glad I got the CSP! Feeling pretty smart today

Now I just have to decide if I will keep the CSR when the AF hits, or cancel it and just roll with the cheaper CSP from there on.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by 1readyset2go
Now I just have to decide if I will keep the CSR when the AF hits, or cancel it and just roll with the cheaper CSP from there on.
Before you ditch the CSR in favor of the CSP, you might want to read this article by The Points Guy:

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/05/sho...-csr-over-csp/

His take is that the CSR is worth keeping despite the higher AF because its benefits are significantly greater on an ongoing basis.
1readyset2go likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.