Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Chase rule: only one Sapphire card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:00 pm

I just called CSP customer service asking about eligibility for a new card as I downgraded my card a few months ago (the old CSP was approved in 11/2015), was told I won't be able to get a new CSP until 24 months after I close/downgrade an existing CSP. He claimed it's a new rule that was just implemented in Oct. I have never heard of this before does anyone know about this?

He might have meant eligibility for the sign up bonus not the card itself, but nowadays looks like they don't approve applications when you are not eligible for bonus anyway.

Last edited by mia; Dec 17, 2017 at 5:08 am Reason: Combine consecutive replies
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:17 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by Yu Zhong
I... 24 months after I close/downgrade an existing CSP. .
I have merged your question into the existing discussion. As far as I know it's still 24 months from the last Sapphire bonus, not 24 months from account closure.

Here are the terms of a current Sapphire Preferred offer:

This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months. If you are an existing Sapphire customer and would like this product, please call the number on the back of your card to see if you are eligible for a product change. You will not receive the new cardmember bonus if you change products.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Yu Zhong
He might have meant eligibility for the sign up bonus not the card itself
There's no such thing as being ineligible for a bonus with Chase. If you're approved for a Chase card and meet minimum spend, you'll get the bonus. With Chase, eligibility is at the card approval level. With other banks like Citi and Amex, you can be approved for a card yet denied the bonus.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by mia
I have merged your question into the existing discussion. As far as I know it's still 24 months from the last Sapphire bonus, not 24 months from account closure.

Here are the terms of a current Sapphire Preferred offer:
Looks like the term has not been changed and the agent I spoke to misunderstood the rule. DP: 1st CSP applied on 11/16/15, got bonus on 12/16/15, downgraded to CFU in 10/2017 and was approved for 2nd CSP on 12/17/17.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by pallhedge
There's no such thing as being ineligible for a bonus with Chase. If you're approved for a Chase card and meet minimum spend, you'll get the bonus. With Chase, eligibility is at the card approval level. With other banks like Citi and Amex, you can be approved for a card yet denied the bonus.
This directly contradicts the information in the Wiki on the Applying for Chase Credit Cards thread. I have always heard that Chase will approve cards even if you are not eligible for the bonus.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chas...17-onward.html

Under the heading:
Can I apply for a specific Chase card and earn the bonus again after doing so previously?

"Finally, note that if you reapply too soon, Chase may still issue you the new card. (This differs from some other card issuers, which may deny such applications outright.) In this case, Chase typically notifies you by letter within a month or two after approval that, as a previous cardholder, you will not receive the bonus a second time."
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by jeanie
This directly contradicts the information in the Wiki on the Applying for Chase Credit Cards thread. I have always heard that Chase will approve cards even if you are not eligible for the bonus.

Under the heading:
Can I apply for a specific Chase card and earn the bonus again after doing so previously?

"Finally, note that if you reapply too soon, Chase may still issue you the new card. (This differs from some other card issuers, which may deny such applications outright.) In this case, Chase typically notifies you by letter within a month or two after approval that, as a previous cardholder, you will not receive the bonus a second time."
I believe this has recently changed and the wiki may need to be updated.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by jeanie

Under the heading:

That wiki could use some updating. I stand by my earlier post.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by pallhedge
That wiki could use some updating. I stand by my earlier post.
Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize the wiki was out of date.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:19 pm

Reapply Chase Sapphire - 2 years from bonus date or cancellation date

Hi,

I am a bit confused with the new Chase policy.

E.g I applied for Chase Sapphire on Jan 1, 2016 and after 3 months I got the bonus on April 1, 2016. After 1 year before I get charged for the annual fees, I cancel my card on Dec 31, 2016.

Now the policy is that I can only have one chase Sapphire card at a time. If I want to reapply for the card, is it 2 years from getting the bonus or 2 years after cancelling the card. If I want to apply for Chase Sapphire should I do on April 1, 2018 ( 2 years from the bonus date) or Dec 31 2018 (2 years from cancelling my card)?

Thanks,
FB
Old Dec 31, 2017, 8:25 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
When in doubt, read the terms:

This product is available to you if you do not have any Sapphire card and have not received a new cardmember bonus for any Sapphire card in the past 24 months. If you are an existing Sapphire customer and would like this product, please call the number on the back of your card to see if you are eligible for a product change. You will not receive the new cardmember bonus if you change products.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 5:20 am

Chase Sapphire Reserve

Once I receive my CSR would I be able to PC to a Preferred after about 2 years? I already have the CF and CFU. Or would I just have to apply for the CSP on it's own?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
Once I receive my CSR would I be able to PC to a Preferred after about 2 years? I already have the CF and CFU. Or would I just have to apply for the CSP on it's own?
You can PC the CSR to the CSP after the first year if you want; no need to wait two years. And if you time it correctly, you can get two $300 travel credits for one annual CSR fee prior to downgrading. Courtesy of our own FT member pallhedge (the Yak): Can You Still Double Dip Sapphire Reserve Travel Credit?

You wouldn't be able to apply for the CSP on its own while holding a CSR due to the "one Sapphire" rule. So if you wanted a CSP, you'd either PC the CSR to a CSP (no sign-up bonus) or PC the CSR to a CF/CFU then apply for the CSP on its own (sign-up bonus.) There is nothing that says you couldn't PC the CSR to another CF/CFU.

Note: you still couldn't apply for the CSP on its own until two years after your receive your CSR bonus, another feature of the "one Sapphire" rule.

(This is why you should have tried the CSR/CSP "double dip".)
Caribgrl likes this.

Last edited by Diplomatico; Jan 1, 2018 at 7:09 am Reason: Clarification
Old Jan 2, 2018, 3:43 am

I get trying to do the CSR & CSP at the same time but that's a lot of spending requirements. I'm thinking it's better to close the CSR after 2 years then apply for the CSP on it's own to be sure to get that bonus as well. Thanks for the link...
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:25 pm

I realize many have been able to double dip CSR/CSP on the same day and be approved. Have there been DPs on getting both bonuses yet? I've done a bunch of searching and have come up empty.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA - 1K, Marriott - Gold, Hilton - Gold, Global Entry,
Switch Sapphire Preferred to other UR card or just close before applying for CSR?

I want to switch from the Sapphire Preferred to the Reserve, but have to close my CSP to be eligible for the 50k point sign on bonus. Is it better to downgrade the CSP to a no AF UR card to keep my points active or transfer all my points out and close the CSP before applying for the CSR?

I'm not a churner and I've had the CSP for 5+ years. Does changing the CSP to something else count as a new credit application? I'd close whatever card I switch to as soon as I get the CSR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.